The Hobbit??? aka In a highly controversial move...

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I just looked at TORC and was going to say, yikes, the first page is already full of threads! But then saw that many were moved in from elsewhere.

Good on them to respond so quickly. Perhaps M00bies will rise again with a new generation (and some of the old!). :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Sort of like the resurgance of Polio? (ducks)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Don't make me get my salmon.

It's nicely aged since the SF m00t.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

You have no idea how nicely... :D :scratch: :rofl: :hug:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:scratch:

The world is a mysterious place, innit? At least when Ax is around.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I'm not mysterious, merely opaque.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And I am oblivious.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

And I'm frivolous! :D
TORN

Post by TORN »

Looks like PJ suddenly may have a bit more time on his hand to pay attention to a certain project of interest . . . check it out: http://www.eonline.com/news/article/ind ... f8189362fe
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sounds like a whole lot of posturing and chest beating to me. :P

It'll probably be a while before it's clear who's right and whether the Halo movie will end up happening. But he was only producing on that one.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I strongly suspect Jackson will only end up executive producing The Hobbit also. I don't really see this as an issue anyway. If Microsoft want this film made $145m isn't going to deter them.

ETA: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/410965/866273
Work on Halo is continuing and other studios are said to be lining up to replace the defectors.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
TORN

Post by TORN »

Here are two entirely different takes on MGM/New Line/Hobbit based on statements by MGM execs yesterday:

(1) MGM May Not Be Making The Hobbit at http://www.cinemablend.com/new/MGM-May- ... -3722.html

(2) Two Hobbit Films Planned -- MGM touts twice the LOTR prequel action at http://movies.ign.com/articles/741/741713p1.html
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thanks, TORN!

It's really hard to assess what's really going on in a game where public statements by one side or the other are commonly used as negotiating gambits or weapons.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't really get the sense that the fella at Cinema Blend knows what he is talking about. For instance, he didn't seem to know that MGM had put out a statement saying that they wanted Jackson to direct the film(s) and had been in contact with him. He definitely sounded like he has an axe to grind. I don't take his comments seriously at all. I seriously doubt that MGM's chief operating officer would be making comments about making the film(s) if there weren't an agreement in place (or all but in place) with New Line. Otherwise, we would definitely be hearing about from New Line.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Good point, Voronwë. If they two sides really were still far apart, New Line could simply say "Not so fast, buster," and MGM's COO would look silly. I can't imagine he would actually risk that.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have moved the posts about Georgette Heyer to a separate thread in The Library of Rivendell, as they had absolutely nothing to with The Hobbit movie.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kams

Post by kams »

Small bit at Greg's Movie Forum on movies.yahoo.com says something like that there were hopes for a 2008 release, that being the 70th anniversary of the Hobbit being published

Hmph. Very Amero-centered. The Hobbit was published Sept 21, 1937 with an American edition in 1938.

Whoever makes it, they'd better get cracking on the movie is they want to exploit the 70th anniversary marketing angle...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yikes. It's way too late for 2008, let alone 2007. Maybe they'll have to market it on its merits as a story! :D

Naaahhhh. . . .

(Good to see you here, kams! :D )
TORN

Post by TORN »

From Variety today:

As for "The Hobbit," Sloan confirmed that MGM was in advanced talks with Peter Jackson to make two movies based on JRR Tolkein's "prequel" to "The Lord of the Rings."

The first would be a direct adaptation of "The Hobbit," and the second would be drawn from "footnotes and source material connecting 'The Hobbit' with 'Lord of the Rings,' " he explained.

Sloan did not reveal when these projects might be ready to start shoot-ing. An MGM spokesman emphasized that negotiations with Jackson are still in progress, and that production isn't likely until 2008 or even 2009.

Take a look, if you can: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795 ... id=19&cs=1
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thanks a lot, TORN! I can't read Variety.

As for the news itself . . . my first reaction is that this is perfect. A single Hobbit film, allowing the story to be told more economically and naturally; and then a "bridge" film that would create a unified five-film cycle. People who don't care for PJ's meddling could ignore it and still enjoy the Hobbit film (if possible! :D ). And people like me could get back a little of the delight and anticipation we felt back in the day. . . .