The Hobbit??? aka In a highly controversial move...

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Hmmmm? I don't know if I like the idea or not. It really depends on what they do. Maybe we'll get some of Thorongil's story. That could be kewl.

But thanks for the heads up, TORN. You seem to be our resident Hobbit movie info finder.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm excited about the idea of a "bridge" film not directly based on any book, just because I wouldn't have the investment in it and could simply enjoy the story, assuming it was told well. There's a lot he could put into such a film.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Even for an unabashed super-revisionist like myself, that's kinda scary...
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Really?

I guess I just don't have that much emotional investment in The Hobbit. I don't want to see it maimed, but if it comes off as well as the LotR films did, I will be very happy. And the "footnote" material for the second film seems like a pure bonus to me, again if it's done as well as LotR.

I'm aware that many people's mileage really, really, really varies. :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh, I'm really excited about The Hobbit. Really! It's the idea of him more or less creating an entire LOTR plot from what amounts to rough outlines that strikes me as...risky.
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

yovargas--

Yeah, it gives me pause too. There's SO much potential in the sketchy bits, but potential for really big mistakes as well.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can't argue with that point. However, I still intend to be hopeful. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The LOTR appendices (which would have to provide the bulk of the material for the second film, I would think), are so episodic, I really have a hard time imagining a coherent film being crafted from them. I can picture great bits and pieces, like the story of Helm Hammerhand, or Averdui last-king, or the battle at the gates of Moria between the Orcs and the Dwarves, or the kin-strife in Gondor, but how to tie them all together?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Two movies? :woohoo:
TORN

Post by TORN »

Seems like Variety has updated its article and has extensively revised the information provided about the Hobbit, to wit:

As for "The Hobbit," Sloan confirmed MGM was in talks with Peter Jackson to make two movies based on J.R.R. Tolkein's "prequel" to "The Lord of the Rings."

However, making the film is contingent on negotiations with New Line, which owns the right to produce "The Hobbit" (MGM owns only the right to distribute the films). And people close to Jackson say that until his ongoing lawsuit with New Line -- over monies he says are owed him from the "Lord of the Rings" franchise -- is settled, a serious conversation over "The Hobbit" cannot proceed.

Even so, Sloan remains optimistic. He said the first "Hobbit" pic would be a direct adaptation of "The Hobbit," and the second would be drawn from footnotes and source material connecting "The Hobbit" with "The Lord of the Rings."

Here it is: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795 ... id=13&cs=1
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

So we're back to more or less what we already knew, other than the tidbit about how two films would be divided up. :(

New Line would be idiots not to settle this and get back to making money off PJ. But I have nightmares of hearing they've agreed to go ahead without him—with, say, Chris Columbus directing. . . .
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

New Line would be idiots not to settle this and get back to making money off PJ. But I have nightmares of hearing they've agreed to go ahead without him—with, say, Chris Columbus directing. . . .
I quite agree Prim.
TORN

Post by TORN »

To steal a bit of the Howard Shore interview (this portion relating to the Hobbit) that Alatar posted in the TTT Complete Recordings . . .
CC: Now that you say that, there has been quite a bit of talk about THE HOBBIT being made into one or two movies...possibly by Peter Jackson. If that happens, do you see that as another opportunity to dive back into that world and detail?

HS: Yes. Definitely. Peter and I both want to make the movie. We've talked about it. We really want to do it, so we're hoping it all works out. I would love to return to Middle Earth and write more music for that world.

CC: In the back of your mind, have already begun that process?

HS: Yes.

CC: Sort of difficult not to, I'd think!

HR. Yes.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

He said the first "Hobbit" pic would be a direct adaptation of "The Hobbit,"
Yay! :)
and the second would be drawn from footnotes and source material connecting "The Hobbit" with "The Lord of the Rings."
Golly. :shock:

Well, that could be kinda ... cool. 8) A bit like a Fanfic Movie. :D :P

Any rate, I remain 100% convinced that a straight adaptation of The Hobbit should be made as ONE movie only.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Pearly Di wrote:Any rate, I remain 100% convinced that a straight adaptation of The Hobbit should be made as ONE movie only.
The purist in me would prefer two, provided they stuck as far as possible to the book itself and didn't use it as an excuse to bring in Aragorn material, or indeed too much about the attack on Dol Guldur. They might well have rights difficulties with the latter anyway.

P&P a bok of similar length to The Hobbit, albeit more dialogue driven, was far better over five hours by the BBC than the two of the various film versions.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Aravar wrote:P&P a bok of similar length to The Hobbit, albeit more dialogue driven, was far better over five hours by the BBC than the two of the various film versions.
I dunno, Aravar. :scratch:

Take 'Cold Mountain', which is a book about as long as 'The Hobbit' and arguably just as complex in terms of plot density and incident. That worked just fine as a two-and-a-half hour movie, in terms of narrative. The film had other problems - I disliked the casting of Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellwegger as Ada and Ruby - but I thought Anthony Minghella did a decent job of actually adapting the story for the screen.

The superiority of the BBC P&P over the 2005 film is, of course, beyond dispute. :D

So you may be right. 8)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I really don't see why it would take more than 2 hours to tell the story of the Hobbit. Maybe 2.5, if we're talking about PJ-esque battle sequences.

But seriously....all we have to do is:
  • 1) Unexpected Party
    2) Journey to Rivendell (Trolls)
    3) Rivendell - let me read your map and your swords
    4) The Misty Mountains - Goblin Attack
    5) Lost in the Mountains - Gollum and Riddles
    6) Warg Attack - 15 birds in 5 fir trees
    7) Eagle Eyrie
    8 ) Beorn's House
    9) Journey through Mirkwood - don't leave the path
    10) You left the path! Attack by spiders
    11) In the Halls of the Elven King
    12) Escape by Barrels
    13) Laketown - set up for later
    14) The Lonely Mountain - using the key
    15) Smaug (More Riddles)
    16) Destruction of Laketown and Death of Smaug
    17) The Dwarves explore the mountain (Arkenstone)
    18 ) The armies debate, and Bilbo plays traitor
    19) The Battle of the Five Armies
    20) Death of Thorin
    21) The Journey Home
None of those things requires more than 6 min., and some require less. I would give the intro (#1) more time (10 min), just because we have a lot of people to introduce. And I do realize that, if PJ is directing, #19 will take 20 min ;). But that is still just 2 1/2 hours....

The Rankin/Bass cartoon cuts Beorn and the Arkenstone, but covers most everything else. And it is just a normal length movie.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

MithLuin wrote:I really don't see why it would take more than 2 hours to tell the story of the Hobbit.
Mith, you are the girl. 8)

:P

And I love the six-minute rule. :D
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

A lot of that stuff could easily take way more then 6 minutes.
-The Decemberists

eborr

Post by eborr »

You could easily have two films

1 Hob
2 Bit

Like some others I don;t care so much about the Hobbit, neither did I care much about Kong - I bought the Kong DVD - and have not been able to watch it all the way through.

My memories of the hobbit book are by and large it's a story with much restraint - sure the battle of the 5 armies is EPic, but I don't remember two many other epic moments.

Cannot see how he will get a work-around to the complete lack of female characters - Hollywood won't stand for that- So what will it be - a female Bilbo, or will we have some fiesty shoulder pad waring female dwarfs, oh the speculation.

However doubltess for the next few years I shall be scouring the message boards looking for every rumour that I can find