The Lord of the Rings – The Adaptations.

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote: To be fair, the level of difficulty for Jackson, Walsh, and Boyens was much greater than for Sibley et al. Sibley didn't have to worry about costumes, sets, props, stunts, digital effects, weather, and so on.
Boyens and Walshe, like Sibley, only had to worry about adapting the script, which is what we're comparing. In fact, I would argue that Sibley had the tougher job, since he had to describe visual events in a way that would appear natural, to different levels of success. Boyens and Walshe could simply type "Frodo and Gollum fight. Gollum bites off Frodo's finger". Sibley had to enact that in such a way that the audience would know what was going on.
Sibley's audience was also relatively limited, and I don't think he had the pressure of having to make megabucks with his production.
This is certainly a fair point. I suppose the question is whether the decisions made in PJs adaptation were the correct ones. Perhaps if PJ & Co had trusted the strength of the the material, as Sibley did, we would have a more faithful and equally succesful movie. I would argue strongly that the decision to have Frodo send Sam home weakened the movie, rather than strengthened it. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

However, lets not underestimate the pressure Sibley was under. This was a very expensive production by BBC standards and it was one of Sibleys first jobs. I'm sure he personally felt under just as much pressure as PJ & Co.

Regarding the time allowed. Sibley was in an arguably more difficult position in that he had to manufacture a story climax every hour, while still telling the story in order. In total, the PJ movies and the BBC run to about the same length of time and Sibley manages to include several of the poems and songs while also providing descriptive narrative that PJ could simply show.

This is not to detract from the sterling work done by PJ in the visuals, but simply to say that in adapting the script, I think Sibley had a much tougher job, since he didn't have visuals to fall back on.

Why do I suspect that this discussion will end up mostly ignoring Bakshi and Minds Eye :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I showed my kids the Bakshi after they had already seen PJ's version, and they laughed wildly all the way through.

Back when it originally came out, I saw it twice in the theater—I found a fair amount in it to like, since it was the only Tolkien on film; I made the most of what was there. I didn't expect the kids to like it better than PJ's (I certainly don't), but I honestly didn't expect them to find it hilarious.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

There are some wonderful moments in Bakshi's LotR, particularly the Flight to the Ford, which is beautifully surreal. Unfortunately it is far too uneven and in many cases simply clumsy. The constant shift between Aruman and Saruman is a perfect example of this. The Rotoscoping effect, rather than adding realism, simply comes across as cheap.

But to get back to the script... :)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Alatar wrote:In fact, I would argue that Sibley had the tougher job, since he had to describe visual events in a way that would appear natural, to different levels of success. Boyens and Walshe could simply type "Frodo and Gollum fight. Gollum bites off Frodo's finger". Sibley had to enact that in such a way that the audience would know what was going on.
As far as script writing, I totally agree. Overall, creating the visuals is obviously a much greater task.
Alatar wrote:Perhaps if PJ & Co had trusted the strength of the the material, as Sibley did, we would have a more faithful and equally succesful movie.
That's the $300 million question, isn't it? My guess is that some things would have been better and, perhaps, some things might not have been as good. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever know for certain.

Primula_Baggins wrote:I showed my kids the Bakshi after they had already seen PJ's version, and they laughed wildly all the way through.

Back when it originally came out, I saw it twice in the theater—I found a fair amount in it to like, since it was the only Tolkien on film; I made the most of what was there.
Rather than laugh, I wince. Really, I find it very painful to watch.

One of my brother and I along with some of our friends went and watched it in Berkeley when it was in the theatre back in '78 or whenever it was that it came out. I recall leaving the theatre feeling extremely disappointed. Wild oliphaunts couldn't have dragged me back in the theatre to see it a second time. :(
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

I didn't know of the existence of the Bakshi film until 1997 or so, when a friend lent it to me. Since I was very familiar with both Rankin/Bass movies at this time, I was thrilled with Bakshi. The first time I watched it, my only complaint was that it ended in the middle. The second time, I was very dissatisfied with the orcs not speaking and Sam being an idiot. I think by then, the costumes were starting to grate a bit. But since I haven't watched it since, I still have a mostly favorable impression of it.

You have to admit, it is much better than the Rankin/Bass RotK :D.
Though very much inferior to PJ's.

As far as the script goes, having Peter Beagle involved was a good move. Without him, I don't think Bakshi's script would have been nearly as good (or faithful) as it was. Which is not to say that it is good or faithful overall...just that he improved the project, from what I understand. He was brought on board later, though, so I don't know what was already "set".
Old_Tom_Bombadil

MithLuin wrote:As far as the script goes, having Peter Beagle involved was a good move. Without him, I don't think Bakshi's script would have been nearly as good (or faithful) as it was.
Peter Beagle has said that the script he wrote was cut all to pieces. I don't think what Bakshi filmed was Beagle.

I'm a friendly acquaintance of Peter Beagle's, by the way. We both belonged to the same local chapter of the Society for American Baseball Research. He lives in Berkeley now, though, caring for his aged mother.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Maybe you should invite him to come to the dinner on Sunday. :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Cool that you know him :) I wasn't suggesting that he wrote the script (as filmed). Merely that his 'involvement' saved it from being trash. It was my understanding that the script existed (in its entirety?) before he was brought on board. So, he was not a writer, but an editor...and not an editor with the final word, seemingly.
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Maybe you should invite him to come to the dinner on Sunday.
Unfortunately, I don't his contact info. I last spoke with him in January 2005 in Pasadena at the One Ring Celebration. Although I hadn't seen him in nearly 10 years, he recognized me right away although he couldn't quite place me being out of context and all. When I mentioned "SABR" it all came back to him.
MithLuin wrote:Cool that you know him :) I wasn't suggesting that he wrote the script (as filmed). Merely that his 'involvement' saved it from being trash. It was my understanding that the script existed (in its entirety?) before he was brought on board. So, he was not a writer, but an editor...and not an editor with the final word, seemingly.
Yes, I recall Peter telling me that he had to totally re-write it. As it was he was paid a pittance. Peter is a sweet guy and fascinating to speak with, but I think his business acumen is less one might hope. I have a feeling he's been taken advantage of on more than one occasion. :(
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I must confess to a bit of a soft spot for Bakshi, because his film was my first introduction aged 7, to Middle-Earth. I watched it again yesterday.

It is deeply flawed. The look is wrong in so many ways, but it does stick more closely to both the events of the book, and seems to use far more of Tolkien's own dialogue than PJ did.

There are some fine performances in it: not only Peter Woodthorpe, I think that John Hurt is a great Aragorn, and Antony Daniels does well as Legolas.

I can't recall being unable to follow the story as presented by Bakshi. I was more disappointed that it was incomplete.

The real shock was meeting a certain yellow-booted fellow when I read the book soon after.

One I find interesting comparing Bakshi, PJ and the BBC is how much time they take to get the Quest on the road. PJ has the hobbits leave the Shire 35 minutes in, the BBC have Frodo leave 8 minutes into Episode 2, that is over an hour in. The hobbits arrive in Bree 34 minutes into Episode 2 of the BBC, 47 minutes in with PJ an only 19 minutes in with Bakshi. The hobbits in the BBC arrive after Boromir has died in Bakshi!

Oddly it is PJ who spends the least time of the three in Bree 8 minutes compared to 10 for Bakshi and well over 20 for the BBC.

The time taken from Bree to the Ford is also virtually identical in both PJ and Bakshi: 13 and 11 minutes respectively. Bakshi takes more time over the events at the Ford, PJ longer over Weathertop.

The pace of Bakshi is really breathtaking. It is clear from the film that both the Black Gate and Ithilien sequences have been entirely omitted from it, so by the end we are at the same point as PJ ends TTT, and after a mere 125 minutes.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote: Like every other adaptation I know of, however, Bombadil and Ghân-buri-Ghân are omitted.
You'll be happy to know that you're featured in the Mind's Eye version.

You might not be so happy with how you were portrayed, however. :D
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Old_Tom_Bombadil wrote:
Spying? Prying? We meant no harm, precious! Did we? No.
I love that line. :D
So do I. :D :love:

And I got to hear Alatar actually say it today, when I met up for lunch with him, Tosh, Rune, Runey's friend and Estel in London. :) Al does a very decent impression of Peter Woodthorpe.

Well, the evil cookie problem has been solved and I can post at Hall of Fire from home again, HURRAH.

Al told me about this thread and so here I am. :)

The two adaptations I know really really well are the BBC LOTR - which I adore - and PJ's.

I don't know Mind's Eye or Bakshi. I've never been able to watch more than 30 minutes of the Bakshi.

I understand that we concentrate on script only. :)

In that case, let us perhaps consider the various treatments of The Ford of Bruinen.

I will concede that Bakshi's conceit of having LEGOLAS replace GLORFINDEL, in meeting Aragorn and the Hobbitlads out in the wilderness, was really rather a Good Idea. :) Great way to introduce Legolas, and no, sorry, we don't strictly need Glorfindel in an adaptation of LOTR. Professor Tolkien would kill me for saying so, and Glorfindel is a really, really nice guy, as well as uber-cool, but seriously, do we need him in the script???? Think about it. Think hard.

Oh, and Bakshi Legolas and Bakshi Aragorn hug on their meeting, which again was a nice touch from the scriptwriters. :)

There, I actually said something nice about the Bakshi! (So much easier when I don't have to discuss those horrible visuals. :D)

The BBC LOTR's treatment of the Ford of Bruinen is, in my humble opinion, as uniformly excellent as all its other treatments. And, of course, very faithful to the book. BBC LOTR is always faithful, even when it's blatantly inventing. :D

But here, it's 100% Book. And the way in which the scene is written employs an admirable use of tension: Aragorn and the hobbits hear a horse on the road, they have no idea whether it's a Black Rider or not, everybody gets very tense and urgent as they run to hide, then the listener hears the tinkling of silvery bells ... ah, thank Eru, it's an ELVISH horse ...

The BBC LOTR, as I said to Alatar today, is an adaptation very much made for people who already know the book really well. It makes few, if any, concessions to people who don't. The reason why it succeeds so well as it does is that it is a really well written dramatisation, milking the story for all the tension that it's worth. Which is why one friend of mine, who has never read the book to this day as far as I know, listened to it and really enjoyed it. It's full of drama.

Now for PJ's Ford of Bruinen. I like Arwen replacing Glorfindel. I think that's a great way to introduce her. One has to put aside canon and logical objections that Elrond would never have allowed his precious daughter out in the wild to look for Aragorn and the hobbits with Nazgûl about ... not after what happened to his wife, for the luvva pete. Never mind all that. It's still a great way to introduce Arwen.

'What's this, a Ranger caught off his guard?' Silly line. Very silly line. Why would Arwen put her sword to Aragorn's throat, in jest, at such a dangerous time? Ill-judged script here, IMO.

However: I do like the exchange between Arwen and Aragorn, partly in Elvish, as Arwen explains she will take Frodo to safety in Rivendell.

'Noro lim, Asfaloth!' Well, I'm sorry, but that's just so cool, no matter who gets to say it. :)

Now then, I have a question. Would Frodo's great line - 'By Elbereth and Lúthien the Fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!' have worked in PJ's LOTR?

I say it would. 8)

Because I think the non-Tolkien audience would have been able to grasp that Elbereth and Lúthien the Fair - whoever the hell these people are - are divine/other-worldly powers that Frodo is calling upon.

I didn't have a clue who Lúthien was when I first read that line. It still worked for me. :)

And the non-Tolkien audience is watching a FANTASY film, with characters with funny names like FRODO and BILBO and SAURON and SARUMAN and blah blah blah. They can deal with it! They can!

PJ left in other lines referencing the text that were equally obscure, e.g. 'crebain from Dunland!' (a rabbi from Dublin?) and 'To the bridge of Khazad-dûm!' (audience: :scratch: 'whatever' :D)

So, I say: yes. 8)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

The stage adaptation used this concession, and omitted as many extraneous names as possible. They talked about things without naming them, and Gandalf was always "Gandalf" never "Mithrandir" (IIRC).

The Flight to the Ford used Frodo defying the Nazgûl. I can't remember what he said, but it was something along the lines of "you shall have neither the Ring nor me"

Arwen was introduced when Frodo woke up (well, actually... she and Aragorn have their reunion, and are about to kiss, when he wakes up ;)). Legolas appeared at the Council. No Glorfindel, nor Glorfindel-substitute. Cool River though ;).

For those of you who have not had a chance to see it:

Videos are here

The first is a montage of production footage, with music, but no dialogue.
The second is more documentary, with snapshots of rehersal, sorta.

This Video shows rehersals (no costumes) in Toronto, including the Flight to the Ford scene. I really can't understand what Frodo says (back to the audience and loud music) - but it ends with "nor me" ;). It's about 3/4 of the way through, after they talk to the actor who plays Frodo. The guys on stilts are the Nazgûl.

This CBC Video came with the opening (so, mostly News documentary, but lots of rehersal and production shots).

Perhaps Alatar can tell us how much time it takes?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sorry Mith, I don't understand the question? How much time what takes?

Anyway, I don't want to respond to Di just yet as its too tempting to jump ahead. I'm looking at the treatment of Long Expected Party next.

Long sections on these chapters follow:

The BBC production is by far the most detailed version of this chapter. We begin with the Ivy Bush Tavern sequence and move into the party preparations, Gandalf's arrival, The Party, Bilbo's disappearance, Frodo's initial conversation with Gandalf and Gandalf's departure. Notable here are the flashback to the Riddle scene and the finding of the ring. Also, the repetition of the line "Keep it Safe and Keep it Secret" is very effective, a trick I think PJ & Co borrowed for their script.
BBC wrote:Narrator: And who was Baggins? He was Mr. Bilbo Baggins. And Mr. Bilbo Baggins was a hobbit. He had once lived at Bag End on the Hill, in the village of Hobbiton across the Water, in the Shire, in the peaceful Northwest of Middle-earth. Now, however, Bilbo was no longer the occupant of Bag End, and sinister shadows lengthened in the Shire. But let us go back seventeen years, to an evening in early September when the chief topic of conversation at the Ivy Bush Tavern in Hobbiton was Mr. Bilbo Baggins.

[Hobbits talk amongst themselves in the background]

Sandyman: You can say what you like, Gaffer Gamgee, but Bag End's a queer place, and its folk are queerer!

Gaffer: Mr. Bilbo is a very nice, well-spoken gentlehobbit, Ted Sandyman, and don't you go saying otherwise.

Sandyman: But what about this Frodo that lives with him? Baggins is his name, but he's more than half a Brandybuck.

Daddy Twofoot: Ay, Gaffer. Sandyman's right there. And they're rum folk in Buckland, living on the wrong side of Brandywine River and all.

Gaffer: Be that as it may, Daddy Twofoot. Mr. Frodo is a Baggins. He's Mr. Bilbo's nephew and his first and second cousin. And anyhow, he's as nice a young hobbit as you could wish to meet.

Sandyman: Well, there's still some as think that when young Frodo's parents up'd and died, Mr. Bilbo ought to have left well-enough alone.

Gaffer: And there's still some as think Mr. Bilbo did him a great kindness by adopting him as his heir, and bringing him back here to live among decent folk.

Sandyman: To live among queer folk, I says.

[Daddy Twofoot laughs]

Gaffer: Well, I've gardened for Mr. Bilbo more years than I care to remember; I finds him decent enough. And so does my lad, Sam. He's always in and out of Bag End. Mr. Bilbo's learned him his letters.

Daddy Twofoot: Hmm... what?

[Sandyman laughs, indignantly]

Sandyman: Letters!

Gaffer: Well, meaning no harm, mind you. I hope no harm will come of it.

Daddy Twofoot: Ah...

[He laughs]

Sandyman: Well, if you know so much about the goings on at Bag End, what's all this talk of a party?

Gaffer: It's to be a birthday party. Mr. Bilbo and Mr. Frodo have the same birthday, you know.

Daddy Twofoot: Oh?

Gaffer: September the 22nd. This year, Mr. Frodo will be thirty-three, come of age. And Mr. Bilbo will be eleventy-one, and a very respectable age too for a hobbit.

Daddy Twofoot: Ah, Gaffer's right, there. Well, the Old Took himself only reached one-hundred and thirty.

Gaffer: And Mr. Bilbo's certainly well preserved for his age. Why, he don't look no different now to what he did when he was ninety. Or come to that, when he was fifty!

Sandyman: Well preserved? Unchanged would be nearer the mark. Some folk have all the luck! Anyway, who's going to this here party?

Gaffer: My Sam says that everyone's going to be invited. And there's going to be presents, mark you, presents for all!

[Daddy Twofoot laughs]

Gaffer: This very month, as is.

- - - - -

[A fireplace crackles]

Bilbo: Honestly, Frodo, I shall be glad when September the 22nd's been and gone.

Frodo: Why, what's up?

Bilbo: Half Hobbiton's up. They're standing outside Bag End as if they expected to see a dragon pop out any minute.

[Frodo laughs]

Frodo: Our party certainly seems to be causing rather a lot of excitement.

Bilbo: Well, I put up a notice on the gate, now, saying, "No admittance expect on party business." So perhaps we'll have a little peace and quiet for a while.

[Someone knocks on the door and Frodo laughs quickly]

Bilbo: Ah!

[He opens the door]

Bilbo: Yes?

Sam: Oh, uh, I'm sorry if I'm disturbing you, Mr. Bilbo, sir.

Bilbo: No, no, no, no! It's alright, Sam. What can I do for you?

Sam: Nothing, Mr. Bilbo. I met the postman from Bywater on his way up here with another bundle of replies to those party invitations of yours. And as the poor fellow'd been up here four times already today, I said as how I'd deliver them for him.

Bilbo: Well, thank you, Sam.

[He retrieves the letters]

Sam: Not at all, Mr. Bilbo. Eh... may I say how much me and the Gaffer's looking forward to your party?

Bilbo: Well, a party at Bag End without the Gamgees would be unthinkable!

Sam: Hoo, well, anyway, if you'll excuse me, I best be getting on with trimming that there hedge of yours.

Bilbo: Ah, very good, Sam. And thank you again for playing postman.

Sam: My pleasure, Mr. Bilbo!

[The door closes]

Bilbo: Now, then, Frodo. Now, you start on these...

Frodo: Yes.

Bilbo: ...and I'll open this lot.

[Papers rustle as they open the letters]

Frodo: Um... "Thank you for your kind invitation. I should be very pleased to come. Rorymack Brandybuck." Good old Rory.

Bilbo: Oh, bless my soul, Frodo, listen to this: "We wish to acknowledge your invitation and to notify you of our acceptance. Otho and Lobelia Sackville-Baggins."

Frodo: Well, you didn't think they'd miss it, did you?

Bilbo: I suppose not. But I'm sure they're not at all happy that I made you my heir.

[Heavy knocking on the door]

Bilbo: Oh! Now who is it?

[Frodo laughs. Bilbo clears his throat and opens the door]

Bilbo: Ah, Gandalf!

Gandalf: Well, Mr. Baggins, you needn't look so surprised.

Bilbo: But what on earth have you got in that cart?

Gandalf: Fireworks.

[Frodo gasps quietly behind them]

Gandalf: Surely you weren't planning a party without fireworks?

Bilbo: My word, it's a good many years since any of Gandalf's fireworks were seen in the Shire.

Gandalf: Well, Wizards have more important business to attend to than making elf-fountains and goblin barkers for the entertainment of hobbits. Now then, how long are you going to keep me standing on the doorstep?

Bilbo: Oh, I'm sorry, Gandalf, I'm sorry. Come in, come in.

Gandalf: Thank you. Ah. Hello, Frodo.

Frodo: H - hello, Gandalf.

[He clears his throat]

Frodo: D - did I hear you say something about fireworks?

Gandalf: You did.

Frodo: I always thought Gandalf's fireworks were a hobbit legend!

Gandalf: Did you now?

Frodo: Can I take a peek?

Gandalf: You can do better than that!

Frodo: I can?

Gandalf: Yes, you can make sure no young hobbits go sneaking off with any.

[Frodo laughs with excitement]

Gandalf: Not a single squib, mark you.

Frodo: All right!

Gandalf: And that includes you, Frodo.

Frodo: Oh... very well.

[The door closes]

Bilbo: Now, sit down, Gandalf. We'll have a pipe of Old Toby together, and you can tell me your news.

Gandalf: Thank you, Bilbo. There's no pipe-weed to compare with that of the Shire. I've missed it. As to news, well that, for the moment must wait. Well now...

[He draws from the pipe]

Gandalf: ...this is pleasant. I must say, your garden's looking very bright.

Bilbo: Yes, Sam and his father keep it well for me, and I'm very fond of it, and of all the dear old Shire; but I think I need a holiday.

Gandalf: Oh, you mean to go on with your plan, then?

Bilbo: I do. I made up my mind, months ago, and I haven't changed it.

Gandalf: Very well, it's no good saying any more. Stick to your plan - your whole plan, mind - and I hope it will turn out for the best, for you...

Bilbo: Well, I hope so.

Gandalf: ...and for all of us.

Bilbo: Anyway.

[He laughs]

Bilbo: I mean to enjoy myself on Thursday, have my little joke.

Gandalf: Who will laugh, I wonder.

Bilbo: We shall see.

- - - - -

Narrator: Eventually, after much excitement, Thursday, September the 22nd actually came.

[Sounds of various fizzes, rockets, explosions, and awed hobbits are heard]

Bilbo: That is the signal for supper!

[The crowd cheers]

- - - - -

[Members of the eating crowd talk among themselves. A sharp rapping hushes the group]

Bilbo: My dear people!

Lobelia: Oh dear, I think Bilbo's about to make a speech.

Bilbo: My dear Bagginses and Boffins, ["Yes, we're here"] and my dear Tooks and Brandybucks, ["That's right"] and Grubbs, and Chubbs, ["Yes?"] Burrowses, and Hornblowers, Bolgers, Bracegirdles, Goodbodies, Brockhouses, ["Oh yes..."] and Proudfoots ["Proudfeet!"].

[The crowd laughs]

Bilbo: Proudfoots. Also my good Sackville-Bagginses that I welcome back at last to Bag End.

Lobelia: Thank you.

Bilbo: And while you're 'filling up the corners' as we hobbits put it, I hope you'll permit me a few words.

[The crowd cheers and bang on the table]

Bilbo: Today is my hundred and eleventh birthday. I'm eleventy-one today.

[They cheer loudly, banging and blowing noise-makers]

Bilbo: And I hope...

[They quiet down]

Bilbo: I hope you're all enjoying yourselves as much as I am.

[Noise-makers whirl. Cries of 'yes' (and 'no') are heard. They laugh]

Bilbo: Well, I shan't keep you long.

[They cheer]

Bilbo: But I've called you together for a Purpose. Indeed, for Three Purposes. First of all, to tell you that I am immensely fond of you all, and that eleventy-one years is too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits.

[They cheer]

Bilbo: I don't know half of you as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve.

Lobelia: Thank you - eh...

Bilbo: And secondly I've called you all together to celebrate my birthday.

[They cheer]

Bilbo: Or I should say our birthday. For it is of course, also the birthday of my nephew and heir, Frodo. He comes of age and comes into his inheritance today.

Lobelia: Did you hear that, Otho? What does he mean, inheritance?

Otho: I don't know, Lobelia, but I don't like the sound of it at all.

Bilbo: ...Together our years total one hundred and forty-four. Your numbers were chosen to fit this remarkable total: one Gross, if I may use the expression.

Otho: One Gross, indeed!

Lobelia: Nasty, vulgar expression.

Bilbo: Thirdly and finally, I wish to make an announcement.

[A hobbit girl speaks out, and is shushed by her father]

Bilbo: I regret to announce that, although as I said, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to spend among you, this is the end. I am going. I am leaving now. Good-bye.

[A firework explodes]

[The crowd reacts: "Where did he go?" "He vanished!" "One minute he was there, the next he's gone." "Yes..." "How did he do it?" "Did anyone see what happened?"]

Lobelia: How extremely bad mannered.

Otho: He's mad. I always said so: mad.

Narrator: While Bilbo Baggins was making his speech, he had been fingering a golden ring in his pocket: the very ring that Gollum had once possessed and lost. And as he said good-bye, he slipped it on his finger, vanished, and was never seen by any hobbit in Hobbiton again.

- - - - -

Narrator: He walked briskly back indoors and changed into some travelling clothes.

Bilbo: Ah, Gandalf. I wondered if you'd come to see me off.

Gandalf: I'm glad to find you visible, Bilbo.

[Bilbo laughs]

Gandalf: Hm. I suppose you feel that everything has gone off splendidly, and according to plan?

Bilbo: Well, yes I do. But that last firework was rather surprising. It quite startled me. A little addition of your own, I suppose?

Gandalf: It was. You've wisely kept that ring secret all these years, and it seemed to me necessary to give your guests something else that would seem to explain your sudden vanishment.

Bilbo: You are an interfering old busybody. But I expect you know best, as usual.

Gandalf: I do, when I know anything. But I... I don't feel too sure about this whole affair. Are you going any further with it?

Bilbo: Well, yes I am. I feel I need a holiday, a very long holiday. Probably a permanent holiday: I don't expect I shall return.

Gandalf: Hm?

Bilbo: In fact, I don't meant to.

Gandalf: Why, Bilbo?

[Bilbo sighs]

Bilbo: I am old, Gandalf. I don't look it, but I am beginning to feel sort of stretched, like butter that has been scraped over too much bread. That can't be right.

Gandalf: Hmm... no, it doesn't seem right. No, I believe your plan probably is for the best.

Bilbo: Well, I've made up my mind, anyway. I want to see the mountains again; and then find somewhere where I can rest in peace and quiet without a lot of relatives prying around, and a string of confounded visitors hanging on the bell. Gandalf?

Gandalf: Yes?

Bilbo: You'll keep an eye on Frodo, for me, won't you?

Gandalf: Yes, I will - two eyes, as often as I can spare them.

Bilbo: He would come with me, of course, if I asked him. But he doesn't really want to, yet. He's still in love with the Shire, with woods and fields and little rivers. Anyway, he ought to be comfortable here. I'm leaving everything to him.

Gandalf: Everything? The ring as well?

Bilbo: Well, er, yes, yes, I - I suppose so.

Gandalf: Where is it?

Bilbo: In an envelope, if you must know. There on the mantelpiece.

Gandalf: Where, Bilbo? I don't see it.

Bilbo: What? Oh, bless my soul! No, no, no... no, it's here; it's here in my pocket.

[He pulls the envelope from his pocket]

Bilbo: Now isn't that odd? Well then, after all, why not? Why shouldn't it stay there?

Gandalf: There's no need to get angry about it.

Bilbo: I'm angry because it's mine. It's my own. My precious.

Gandalf: Ah.

Bilbo: Yes, my precious.

Gandalf: Ah - it's been called that before, but not by you.

Bilbo: Well, I will say it now. Even if that horrid Gollum creature said the same once. It's not his now. He lost it, and I found it, and now it belongs to me, and I shall keep it.

Gandalf: If you say that again, Bilbo, I shall get angry. And then you shall see Gandalf the Grey uncloaked.

Bilbo: But the ring is mine, isn't it? I mean, I - I found it. And Gollum would have killed me if I hadn't kept it and used it to escape from him...

Gollum: The hobbit must have a competition with us, precious. If it asks us a riddle, and we doesn't answer, then we does what it wants, and shows it the way out. If Precious asks, and it doesn't answer, then...

[He hisses]

Gollum: ...then we eats it, my precious.

Bilbo: All right...

[Gollum laughs in anticipation]

Gollum: Ask us, ask us, ask us a riddle!

Bilbo: Er - what have I got in my pocket?

[Gollum hisses]

Gollum: Not fair! Not fair! That's not a riddle, it isn't fair, my precious. It isn't fair to ask us what its got in its nasty little pocketses.

Bilbo: What have I got in my pocket?

Gollum: Must give us three guessesss, my precious, three guessesss.

Bilbo: Very well, guess away.

[Gollum hums]

Gollum: Handses!

Bilbo: Wrong. Guess again.

Gollum: Knife!

Bilbo: Wrong.

[Gollum hisses]

Bilbo: Last guess. Come on, time's up.

Gollum: String - or nothing!

Bilbo: Both wrong! Now you must show me the way out of here.

Gollum: Did we say so, precious? Show the nasty little Bagginses the way out, yes, yes? But what has it got in its pocketses, eh? Not string, precious - but not nothing.

Bilbo: Never you mind, a promise is a promise.

Gollum: Course it is! Impatient, precious...

[He laughs to himself, but his laugh quickly fades]

Gollum: Gollum... gollum! We can guess what its got in its pocketses, can't we, precious? We've lost it, yes, and he's found it! Yes, he must have. Curse the Baggins.

[He hisses]

Gollum: Thief! Thief...

[Bilbo gasps]

Gollum: Where's it gone? Where's the Baggins? Vanished, it has. Curse the Baggins! We hates it! We hates it! We hates it forever!

Bilbo: I'm not a thief, whatever he said.

Gandalf: I've never called you one. And I'm not one either. I'm not trying to rob you, but to help you.

Bilbo: I'm sorry, but I felt so strange. You see, the ring has been growing on my mind lately. I'm always wanting to put it on and disappear, or wondering if it's safe, and pulling it out to make sure. Sometimes I felt it was like an... like an eye, looking at me.

Gandalf: Then go away and leave it behind. Stop possessing it. Give it to Frodo, and I will look after him.

Bilbo: All right, I will. After all, that's what this party business was all about, really. To give away lots of presents and somehow make it easier to give it away at the same time. It hasn't made it any easier in the end, but it would be a pity to spoil the joke.

[Gandalf laughs]

Bilbo: Very well, the ring goes to Frodo with all the rest. And now, I, I really must be starting, or somebody else will catch me.

Gandalf: Bilbo?

Bilbo: Yes?

Gandalf: You still have the ring in your pocket.

Bilbo: What? Ah, bless my soul, so I have. It's still in the envelope, with my will. You better take it and deliver it for me.

Gandalf: No! No, no, don't give the ring to me. Put it on the mantelpiece. It will be safe enough there, ‘til Frodo comes. I shall wait for him.

Bilbo: All right, if you say so. There. Well, that's that, then. And now I'm off.

[He opens the door]

Bilbo: Oh, what fun! Good-bye, dear Gandalf.

Gandalf: Good-bye for the present, Bilbo. Take care of yourself.

Bilbo: Don't worry about me. I'm as happy now as I've ever been. Good-bye.

[His voice slowly fades into the distance]

Bilbo:

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.

Gandalf: Goodbye, my dear Bilbo - until our next meeting.

Bilbo:

Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it join some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And wither then? I cannot say.

- - - - -

Frodo: Has he gone?

Gandalf: Yes, he's gone at last.

Frodo: Oh dear, I wish...

[He closes the door]

Frodo: ...I mean, well I hoped until this evening that it was only a joke. But I knew in my heart that he really meant to go. He always used to joke about serious things. I wish I had come back sooner, just... just to see him off.

Gandalf: I really think he preferred slipping off quietly in the end.

Frodo: Yes...

Gandalf: Don't be too troubled. He'll be all right - now. He left a packet for you. There it is! You'll find his will and all the other documents in there. And I fancy you'll also find a golden ring.

Frodo: The ring! Has he left me that? I wonder why. Still, it may be useful.

Gandalf: It may, and it may not. You must be careful of that ring. I should not make use of it, if I were you. Keep it safe and keep it secret.

Frodo: Why?

Gandalf: What do you know already?

Frodo: Well, only what Bilbo told me.

Gandalf: But what did he tell you, I wonder.

Frodo: He told me the truth. Not that old story about it having been a present.

Gandalf: Yes, it was odd that he should have invented that. But, odd things happen to people who have such treasures, if they use them. Let it be a warning to you to be very careful with it. It may have other powers than just making you vanish when you wish to.

Frodo: I don't understand.

Gandalf: No, neither do I. I've merely begun to wonder about the ring.

Frodo: You're being very mysterious. What are you afraid of?

Gandalf: I'm not certain, so I'll say no more. I may be able to tell you something when I come back.

Frodo: Come back? You're going away too?

Gandalf: Yes, and I must go at once.

Frodo: At once! But, but, why? I thought you were staying on for at least a week.

Gandalf: I intended to, but I've had to change my mind.

Frodo: Well, how long will you be gone?

Gandalf: It may be for some while, Frodo, but I'll come and see you again as soon as I can. Look out for me, especially at unlikely times. So take care of yourself. And remember what I said about the ring. Keep it safe and keep it secret. Good-bye.

[The door opens. A bird chirps]

Frodo: Good-bye, Gandalf!

[He murmers to himself]

Frodo: Keep it safe and keep it secret...

PJ's version is similar in many ways, except that the relationship between Frodo and Gandalf is ramped up. While in the BBC version Gandalf and Bilbo are the "featured" friendship, here we have Frodo introduced before Bilbo. Still, while the events are more compressed than in BBC much of the same material is covered, and very efficiently. Luckily, we were spared the toffee chewing version of this scene where Gandalf is trying to quit smoking. Some nice additions are the Frodo/Sam relationship, the introduction of Rosie and (arguably) the early introduction of Merry and Pippin.
PJ wrote:<A hobbit, reading beneath a tree, hears a male voice singing. He closes his book and stands, listening. Recognizing the voice, he smiles then runs to the road. He finds an old man, wearing a gray cloak and a pointy hat, driving a horse-drawn cart filled with fireworks and such>

Gandalf (singing): The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, and I must follow if I can...

Frodo: You're late!

<Gandalf does not look at the Hobbit at first, and then turns slowly, with an emphatic expression on his face that begins to twitch>

Gandalf: A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

<Both he and Frodo slowly begin to grin and crack up into laughter>

Frodo: <leaps onto cart and hugs the old man> Its wonderful to see you Gandalf!

Gandalf: <laughs>Ooh! You didn’t think I’d miss your Uncle Bilbo's birthday?

Frodo: What news of the outside world? Tell me everything.

Gandalf: Everything? Far too eager and curious for a hobbit, most unnatural. Well what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past age, full of its own comings and goings. Scarcely aware of the existence of hobbits... which I am very thankful.

Hobbit folk: Look it's Gandalf! Its Gandalf!

<Gandalf grins and tips his hat slightly>

Gandalf: Ooh! The long expected party!

<Hobbits raise a banner by the Party Tree that reads "Happy Birthday Bilbo Baggins." A hobbitess clasps her hands with pleasure and anticipation, looking at the sign>

Gandalf: So how is the old rascal? I hear it’s got to be a party of special magnificence.

Frodo: You know Bilbo, he's got the whole place in an uproar.

Gandalf: Hmm, well now that should please him, hmmm.

Frodo: Half the Shire’s been invited.

Gandalf: Good gracious me!

Frodo: He is up to something.

Gandalf: Oh really...

Frodo: All right then keep your secrets.<Gandalf laughs>Before you came along we Bagginses were very well thought of.

Gandalf: Indeed?

Frodo: Never had any adventures or did anything unexpected.

Gandalf: If you’re referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved. All I did was give your uncle a little nudge out of the door.

Frodo: Whatever you did, you’ve been officially labeled a disturber of the peace.

Gandalf: Oh really?

<cart drives past grumpy old hobbit (Mr. Proudfoot) with grim look>

Hobbit children: Gandalf! Gandalf! Fireworks? Gandalf?

<Gandalf pretends to ignore the children>

Hobbit children: <disappointed>Awwww.

<fireworks suddenly go off from the cart>
<hobbit children cheer>
<Gandalf laughs>
<grumpy old hobbit chuckles>
<grumpy old hobbitwife (Mrs. Proudfoot) comes out and gives a nagging look to grumpy old hobbit>
<grumpy old hobbit restores grumpy look>

Frodo: Gandalf, I'm glad you're back.

Gandalf: <as Frodo jumps off the cart> So am I, dear boy! So am I.

<Scene goes to Bag End. Gandalf pulls up to Bilbo’s house. He goes through a gate with a sign on it saying: "No admittance except on party business. He then knocks on the door with his staff>

<knock, knock, knock, knock>

Bilbo: <from within> No thank you! We don't want any more visitors, well-wishers or distant relations!

Gandalf: And what about very old friends?

<Bilbo opens the door>

Bilbo: Gandalf?

Gandalf: Bilbo Baggins!

Bilbo: My dear Gandalf! <gives Gandalf a hug>

Gandalf: Good to see you! One hundred and eleven years old --who would believe it? <looks at Bilbo in astonishment> You haven't aged a day.

<Bilbo and Gandalf laugh>

Bilbo: Come on, come in! Welcome, welcome! <closes door>Oh, here we are. Tea? Or maybe something a little stronger? I've got a few bottles of the Old Winyard left. 1296 --very good year. Almost as old as I am! Hahaha! It was laid down by my father. What say we open one, eh?

Gandalf: Just tea, thank you.

<Gandalf backs into the chandelier. He steadies it but then bumps his head onto the beam. Nursing the pain he enters Bilbo’s study and sees the map of the Lonely Mountain mounted on a frame. He picks it up to examine it. Meanwhile, Bilbo was puttering around in the kitchen>

Bilbo: I was expecting you here last week! Not that it matters, you come and go as you please. Always have done and always will. You caught me a bit unprepared, I'm afraid. We have some cold chicken and pickles... Here's some cheese here- oh no it won't do. Uhhh. We've got raspberry jam, an apple tart... Not much for afters - oh no! We're all right. I've just found some sponge cake. <enters the study> I can make you some eggs if you like-- oh. Gandalf?

Bilbo: Alright! <with mouthful of cake> You don't mind if I eat, do you?

Gandalf: Oh no, not at all.

<a sudden, incessant knock on the door> Woman (shouting): Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins!

Bilbo (whispering): I'm not at home!

Bilbo: I've got to get away from these confounded relatives hanging on the bell--they never give me a moment's peace! I want to see mountains again, mountains Gandalf! And then find somewhere quiet where I can finish my book. Oh, tea!

Gandalf: So, you mean to go through with your plan, then.

Bilbo: Yes, yes. It's all in hand. All the arrangements are made. <starts to pour water into the tea pot, Gandalf opens the lid> Oh, thank you.

Gandalf: Frodo suspects something.

Bilbo: ‘Course he does. He's a Baggins! Not some block-headed Bracegirdle from Hardbottle.

Gandalf: You will tell him, won't you?

Bilbo: Yes, yes.

Gandalf: He's very fond of you.

Bilbo: I know. He'd probably come with me if I asked him. <chuckles> I think in his heart Frodo is still in love with the Shire: the woods, the fields...little rivers. I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel thin --sort of stretched like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect I shall return. In fact, I mean not to!

<evening came. Outside, Gandalf and Bilbo are sitting and smoking pipe>

Bilbo: Old Toby. The finest weed in the Southfarthing.

<Bilbo first blows a ring of smoke and Gandalf blows a smoke ship that sails through it>

Bilbo: Gandalf, my old friend. This will be a night to remember!

<Scene: Bilbo’s party. The fireworks are going off and festivities are well underway>

Bilbo (to guest): Hello, hello, Fatty Bolger, lovely to see you! Welcome, welcome!

<Frodo sees his friend Sam sitting alone, looking sidelong at hobbitlass Rosie Cotton dancing>

Frodo: <sits beside him> Go on Sam! Ask Rosie for a dance.

Sam (scowling): I think I’ll just have another ale.

Frodo: Oh no you don’t. Go on. <pushes Sam to the dance floor and into Rosie’s arms. Frodo laughs aloud>

Gandalf: <setting off a firework> Whoa!

<fireworks explode over the party field, a huge glittering umbrella in the night sky then changes into spears and whizzes away into the distance>

<Bilbo speaks to the hobbit children gathered at his feet>

Bilbo: There I was, at the mercy of three monstrous trolls! And they were all arguing amongst themselves about how they were going to cook us, whether it be turned on a spit or whether they should sit on us one by one and squash us into jelly.

<Cute hobbit child gasps and shakes her head emphatically>

Bilbo: They spent so much time arguing the wither-tos and why-fors, that when the sun’s first light cracked over the top of the trees and poof!

<Hobbit Children gasp>

Bilbo: It turned them all to stone!

<Gandalf, laughing, returns from his cart with more fireworks. Merry Brandybuck appears from behind, signaling Pippin Took to get onto Gandalf’s cart>

Merry: Quickly!

<butterfly fireworks goes off. Hobbit children laugh and chase the butterflies>

Gandalf: Whoa! Off they go.

Merry: No, no the big one, big one

<inside the tent, Merry and Pippin light up the firework>

Pippin: Done.

Merry: You’re supposed to stick it in the ground!

Pippin: It is in the ground.

Merry: Outside!

Pippin: It was your idea!

<just then the firework goes up, throwing Merry and Pippin onto the ground. The firework bursts into a shape of a dragon and turns towards the merrymakers. The hobbits see this and try to get out of the way>

Hobbit: Look at that!

Frodo: Bilbo? Bilbo, look out for the dragon!

Bilbo: Dragon? Nonsense! There hasn’t been a dragon in these parts for a thousand years...

<Frodo pushes Bilbo to the ground. The dragon swoops low over the hobbits’ heads, flies off and bursts into a beautiful finale over the lake. Hobbits clap in amusement>

<Merry and Pippin, covered in soot, stands proud with their accomplishment>

Merry: That was good!

Pippin: Let’s get another one!

<Gandalf comes up behind them and grabs them each by their ear>

Merry and Pippin: Aah!

Gandalf: Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took. I might have known.

<As Merry and Pippin wash the plates, the other Hobbits are gathered near the party tree>

Hobbits: Speech, Bilbo! Speech!

Frodo: Speech!

Bilbo: My dear Bagginses and Boffins, <Bagginses and Boffins cheer> Tooks and Brandybucks, <Tooks and Brandybucks cheer> Grubbs, <Grubbs cheer> Chubbs, <Chubbs cheer> Hornblowers, <Hornblowers cheer> Bolgers, <Bolgers cheer> Bracegirdles, <Bracegirdles cheer> and Proudfoots.

Mr.Proudfoot: Proudfeet! <hobbits laugh. Bilbo waves dismissively>

Bilbo: Today is my 111th birthday!

Hobbits: Happy birthday!

Hobbit: Happy birthday!

Bilbo: Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits. <Hobbits cheer>

Bilbo: I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.<dead silence from the crowd>

Bilbo: I, uh, I h-have things to do. <fidgets with the Ring behind his back.>

Bilbo (whispers to self): I’ve put this off for far too long.

Bilbo (to crowd): I regret to announce this is the end. I am going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell.

Bilbo (looks at Frodo and whispers): Goodbye. <Puts the Ring on and vanishes>

Hobbits (shocked): Ooh!

<Bilbo, invisible, leaves the party and returns to Bag End. Next scene shows Bag-End interior>

Bilbo: Hahahahaha! <flips the ring, catches it and puts it in his pocket>

Gandalf: I suppose you think that was terribly clever.

Bilbo (startled): Come on Gandalf! Did you see their faces?

Gandalf: There are many magic rings in this world Bilbo Baggins and none of them should be used lightly.

Bilbo: It was just a bit of fun! Oh you’re probably right, as usual. You will keep an eye on Frodo, won’t you?

Gandalf: Two eyes, as often as I can spare them.

Bilbo: I’m leaving everything to him.

Gandalf: What about this Ring of yours, is that staying too?

Bilbo: Yes, yes. It’s in an envelope over there on the mantelpiece. <Gandalf turns to look>

Bilbo: No, wait, its --here in my pocket. Heh, isn’t that, isn’t that odd though? <looks at the Ring> Yet, after all why not? Why shouldn’t I keep it?

Gandalf: I think you should leave the Ring behind, Bilbo. Is that so hard?

Bilbo: Well no... and yes! Now it comes to it, I don’t feel like parting with it, its mine, I found it, it came to me!

Gandalf: There’s no need to get angry.

Bilbo: What if I’m angry, it’s your fault! <caresses Ring> It’s mine! My own, my precious.

Gandalf: Precious? Its been called that before, but not by you.

Bilbo: Argh! What business is it of yours what I do with my own things!

Gandalf: I think you’ve had that Ring quite long enough.

Bilbo: You want it for yourself!

Gandalf (grows taller): Bilbo Baggins! Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks. I am not trying to rob you.

Gandalf (back to normal): I’m trying to help you.

<Bilbo starts weeping and hugs Gandalf>

Gandalf: All your long years we’ve been friends. Trust me as you once did, hmm? Let it go.

Bilbo: <collects himself> You’re right Gandalf, the Ring must go to Frodo. It’s late, the road is long. Yes it is time.

<Bilbo opens the door>

Gandalf: Bilbo...

Bilbo: Hmm?

Gandalf: ...the Ring is still in your pocket.

Bilbo: Oh, yes...

<Bilbo pulls out the Ring from his pocket. He stares at it on his palm, then slowly and with a great effort turns his hand, allowing it to slip off his palm. It lands on the floor with a heavy thud>

<Bilbo runs out the door, goes a few paces, then stops and lifts his head. He looks relieved>

Bilbo: I’ve thought of an ending for my book. <turns to Gandalf at the door> "And he lived happily ever after...to the end of his days".

Gandalf: And I’m sure you will my dear friend.

Bilbo: Good bye, Gandalf.

Gandalf: Good bye, dear Bilbo.

<Bilbo goes out by the gate, and starts down the road.>

Bilbo (singing): The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began...

Gandalf: Until our next meeting.

<Gandalf re-enters Bag End. He stoops to pick up the ring but stops short when the Eye of Sauron flashes in his mind. He rises and proceeds to sit himself by the fireplace>

Voice over of Bilbo: Its mine, my own, my precious!

Gandalf (mumbling): Riddles in the Dark.

<Frodo enters Bag End>

Frodo: Bilbo! Bilbo! He sees the Ring and stoops to pick it up>

Gandalf (mumbling): My precious.

<Frodo notices Gandalf smoking by the fireplace, approaches him>

Gandalf (mumbling): Precious...

Frodo: He's gone hasn't he? He talked for so long about leaving. I didn't think he'd really do it.

Frodo: Gandalf?

Gandalf: Hmm.<smiles at Frodo> Bilbo's Ring. He's gone to stay with the elves. He's left you Bag End...

<Gandalf holds envelope open, Frodo slips in the Ring, Gandalf seals the envelope and gives it to Frodo.>

Gandalf: ...along with all his possessions. The Ring is yours now. Put it somewhere out of sight.<Gets up to leave>

Frodo: Where are you going?

Gandalf: There are some things that I must see to.

Frodo: What things?

Gandalf: Questions. Questions that need answering!

Frodo: But you've only just arrived! I don't understand.

Gandalf (looking back at Frodo): Neither do I. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.

<Gandalf leaves Bag End. Frodo looks at the envelope in his hand, containing the Ring>

I'm also including the Extended Edition of FotR by PJ for comparison. In the future I'll be using only the Extended Editions, but these were different enough to merit comparison. The biggest changes in this version are a more Bilbo-centric opening and some extra references to the Sackville Bagginses.
PJ EE wrote:<Camera pans over the map of Middle-earth.>

Bilbo: Ahem. The 22nd day of September in the year 1400 (by Shire-reckoning) Bag End, Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, Westfarthing, the Shire, Middle-earth. The Third Age of this world.

<Camera pans into Bag End and up to Bilbo, writing at his desk.>

Bilbo: (as he writes) There and back again: A Hobbit's Tale by Bilbo Baggins.

Now where to begin? Ah, yes.

Bilbo: (as he writes) Concerning hobbits.

<Scenes of Shire Hobbits.>

Bilbo v.o.: Hobbits have been living and farming in the four Farthings of the Shire for many hundreds of years, quite content to ignore and be ignored by the world of the Big Folk. Middle-earth being, after all, full of strange creatures beyond count, Hobbits must seem of little importance, being neither renowned as great warriors nor counted among the very wise.

<Scene cuts back to Bag End. Bilbo Laughs>

<Sound of a knock at the door.>

Bilbo: Frodo! Someone at the door.

<More Shire Hobbits.>

Bilbo v.o.: In fact, it has been remarked by some that Hobbits' only real passion is for food. A rather unfair observation, as we have also developed a keen interest in the brewing of ales and the smoking of pipe-weed. But where our hearts truly lie is in peace and quiet and good, tilled earth. For all hobbits share a love for things that grow. And, yes, no doubt to others, our ways seem quaint. But today of all days, it is brought home to me: It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life.

<Scene cuts back to Bag End. Sound of a knock at the door.>

Bilbo: Ahww... Frodo, the door!

<Knocking continues.>

Bilbo: Sticklebacks. Where is that boy?

<Cut to Frodo reading.>

Bilbo v.o.: Frodo!

<Frodo, reading beneath a tree, hears a male voice singing. He closes his book and stands, listening. Recognizing the voice, he smiles then runs to the road. He finds an old man, wearing a gray cloak and a pointy hat, driving a horse-drawn cart filled with fireworks and such>

Gandalf (singing): The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the road has gone, and I must follow if I can...

Frodo: You're late!

<Gandalf does not look at the Hobbit at first, and then turns slowly, with an emphatic expression on his face that begins to twitch>

Gandalf: A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

<Both he and Frodo slowly begin to grin and crack up into laughter>

Frodo: <leaps onto cart and hugs the old man> Its wonderful to see you Gandalf!

Gandalf: <laughs>Ooh! You didn’t think I’d miss your Uncle Bilbo's birthday?

Frodo: What news of the outside world? Tell me everything.

Gandalf: Everything? Far too eager and curious for a hobbit, most unnatural. Well what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past age, full of its own comings and goings. Scarcely aware of the existence of hobbits... which I am very thankful.

Hobbit folk: Look it's Gandalf! Its Gandalf!

<Gandalf grins and tips his hat slightly>

Gandalf: Ooh! The long expected party!

Gandalf: So how is the old rascal? I hear it’s got to be a party of special magnificence.

Frodo: You know Bilbo, he's got the whole place in an uproar.

Gandalf: Hmm, well now that should please him, hmmm.

Frodo: Half the Shire's been invited. And the rest of them are turning up anyway.

<both laugh>

Bilbo v.o.: And so life in the Shire goes on very much as it has this past Age. Full of its own comings and goings, with change coming slowly. If it comes at all. For things are made to endure in the Shire, passing from one generation to the next. There's always been a Baggins living here under the Hill in Bag End. And there always will be.

Frodo: To tell you the truth, Bilbo's been a a bit odd lately. I mean, more than usual. He's taken to locking himself in his study. He spends hours and hours pouring over old maps when he thinks I'm not looking.

<Scene cuts to Bag End.>

Bilbo: (folding map) Now!

<He begins searching his pockets. Grows upset.>

Bilbo: Where's it gone?

<Looks under chair cushion and under the chair. Then in his coat pocket in the hall. Then his backpack. Then, getting more upset, he searches a coat and throws it down. Pats his vest pockets. Sighs, takes ring out of his vest pocket. Holds it clutched in his hand to his mouth... looks relieved.>

<Scene cuts to the Cart.>

Frodo: He's up to something.

Gandalf: What?

Frodo: All right then keep your secrets.<Gandalf laughs>Before you came along we Bagginses were very well thought of.

Gandalf: Indeed?

Frodo: Never had any adventures or did anything unexpected.

Gandalf: If you’re referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved. All I did was give your uncle a little nudge out of the door.

Frodo: Whatever you did, you’ve been officially labeled a disturber of the peace.

Gandalf: Oh really?

<cart drives past grumpy old hobbit (Mr. Proudfoot) with grim look>

Hobbit children: Gandalf! Gandalf! Fireworks? Gandalf?

<Gandalf pretends to ignore the children>

Hobbit children: <disappointed>Awwww.

<fireworks suddenly go off from the cart>
<hobbit children cheer>
<Gandalf laughs>
<grumpy old hobbit chuckles>
<grumpy old hobbitwife (Mrs. Proudfoot) comes out and gives a nagging look to grumpy old hobbit>
<grumpy old hobbit restores grumpy look>

Frodo: Gandalf, I'm glad you're back.

Gandalf: <as Frodo jumps off the cart> So am I, dear boy! So am I.

<Scene goes to Bag End. Gandalf pulls up to Bilbo’s house. He goes through a gate with a sign on it saying: "No admittance except on party business. He then knocks on the door with his staff>

<knock, knock, knock, knock>

Bilbo: <from within> No thank you! We don't want any more visitors, well-wishers or distant relations!

Gandalf: And what about very old friends?

<Bilbo opens the door>

Bilbo: Gandalf?

Gandalf: Bilbo Baggins!

Bilbo: My dear Gandalf! <gives Gandalf a hug>

Gandalf: Good to see you! One hundred and eleven years old --who would believe it? <looks at Bilbo in astonishment> You haven't aged a day.

<Bilbo and Gandalf laugh>

Bilbo: Come on, come in! Welcome, welcome! <closes door>Oh, here we are. Tea? Or maybe something a little stronger? I've got a few bottles of the Old Winyard left. 1296 --very good year. Almost as old as I am! Hahaha! It was laid down by my father. What say we open one, eh?

<Gandalf backs into the chandelier. He steadies it but then bumps his head onto the beam. Nursing the pain he enters Bilbo’s study and sees the map of the Lonely Mountain mounted on a frame. He picks it up to examine it. Meanwhile, Bilbo was puttering around in the kitchen>

Bilbo: I was expecting you here last week! Not that it matters, you come and go as you please. Always have done and always will. You caught me a bit unprepared, I'm afraid. We have some cold chicken and pickles... Here's some cheese here- oh no it won't do. Uhhh. We've got raspberry jam, an apple tart... Not much for afters - oh no! We're all right. I've just found some sponge cake. <enters the study> I can make you some eggs if you like-- oh. Gandalf?

Bilbo: Alright! <with mouthful of cake> You don't mind if I eat, do you?

Gandalf: Oh no, not at all.

<a sudden, incessant knock on the door>

Woman (shouting): Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins!

Bilbo (whispering): I'm not at home!

<pounding at door>

Bilbo: It's the Sackville-Bagginses.

Lobelia: (from outside) I know you're in there!

Bilbo: They're after the house. They've never forgiven me for living this long.

Bilbo: I've got to get away from these confounded relatives hanging on the bell--they never give me a moment's peace! I want to see mountains again, mountains Gandalf! And then find somewhere quiet where I can finish my book. Oh, tea!

Gandalf: So, you mean to go through with your plan, then.

Bilbo: Yes, yes. It's all in hand. All the arrangements are made. <starts to pour water into the tea pot, Gandalf opens the lid> Oh, thank you.

Gandalf: Frodo suspects something.

Bilbo: ‘Course he does. He's a Baggins! Not some block-headed Bracegirdle from Hardbottle.

Gandalf: You will tell him, won't you?

Bilbo: Yes, yes.

Gandalf: He's very fond of you.

Bilbo: I know. He'd probably come with me if I asked him. <chuckles> I think in his heart Frodo is still in love with the Shire: the woods, the fields...little rivers. I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel thin --sort of stretched like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect I shall return. In fact, I mean not to!

<evening came. Outside, Gandalf and Bilbo are sitting and smoking pipe>

Bilbo: Old Toby. The finest weed in the Southfarthing.

<Bilbo first blows a ring of smoke and Gandalf blows a smoke ship that sails through it>

Bilbo: Gandalf, my old friend. This will be a night to remember!

<Scene: Bilbo’s party. The fireworks are going off and festivities are well underway>

Bilbo (to guest): Hello, hello, Fatty Bolger, lovely to see you! Welcome, welcome!

<Frodo sees his friend Sam sitting alone, looking sidelong at hobbitlass Rosie Cotton dancing>

Frodo: <sits beside him> Go on Sam! Ask Rosie for a dance.

Sam (scowling): I think I’ll just have another ale.

Frodo: Oh no you don’t. Go on. <pushes Sam to the dance floor and into Rosie’s arms. Frodo laughs aloud>

Gandalf: <setting off a firework> Whoa!

<fireworks explode over the party field, a huge glittering umbrella in the night sky then changes into spears and whizzes away into the distance>

<Bilbo speaks to the hobbit children gathered at his feet>

Bilbo: There I was, at the mercy of three monstrous trolls! And they were all arguing amongst themselves about how they were going to cook us, whether it be turned on a spit or whether they should sit on us one by one and squash us into jelly.

<Cute hobbit child gasps and shakes her head emphatically>

Bilbo: They spent so much time arguing the wither-tos and why-fors, that when the sun’s first light cracked over the top of the trees and poof!

<Hobbit Children gasp>

Bilbo: It turned them all to stone!

<Gandalf, laughing, returns from his cart with more fireworks. Merry Brandybuck appears from behind, signaling Pippin Took to get onto Gandalf’s cart>

Merry: Quickly!

<butterfly fireworks goes off. Hobbit children laugh and chase the butterflies>

Gandalf: Whoa! Off they go.

Merry: No, no the big one, big one.

<Scene cuts to Bilbo.>

Bilbo: Mrs. Bracegirdle, how nice to see you. Welcome, welcome. Are all these children yours?

Mrs. Bracegirdle: Hmm <she nods proudly>

Bilbo: Good gracious, you have been productive. Ahem!

Lobelia: Bilbo?

Frodo: Bilbo!

<Bilbo's ear wiggles.>

Bilbo: (to Frodo) S-s-s-sackville-Bagginses! Quickly, hide!

<They avoid the S-B's.>

Bilbo: Oh. Thank you, my boy.

<Frodo laughs.>

Bilbo: You're a good lad, Frodo. I'm very selfish, you know. Yes, I am! Very selfish. I don't know why I took you in after your mother and father died, but it wasn't out of charity. I think it was because, of all my numerous relations, you were the one Baggins that showed real spirit.

Frodo: Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?

Bilbo: No. Well, yes, but th-th-th-that's not the point. The point is, Frodo... you'll be all right.

<Scene cuts to Merry and Pippin inside the tent, lighting the Dragon firework.>

Pippin: Done.

Merry: You’re supposed to stick it in the ground!

Pippin: It is in the ground.

Merry: Outside!

Pippin: It was your idea!

<just then the firework goes up, throwing Merry and Pippin onto the ground. The firework bursts into a shape of a dragon and turns towards the merrymakers. The hobbits see this and try to get out of the way>

Hobbit: Look at that!

Frodo: Bilbo? Bilbo, look out for the dragon!

Bilbo: Dragon? Nonsense! There hasn’t been a dragon in these parts for a thousand years...

<Frodo pushes Bilbo to the ground. The dragon swoops low over the hobbits’ heads, flies off and bursts into a beautiful finale over the lake. Hobbits clap in amusement>

<Merry and Pippin, covered in soot, stands proud with their accomplishment>

Merry: That was good!

Pippin: Let’s get another one!

<Gandalf comes up behind them and grabs them each by their ear>

Merry and Pippin: Aah!

Gandalf: Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took. I might have known.

<As Merry and Pippin wash the plates, the other Hobbits are gathered near the party tree>

Hobbits: Speech, Bilbo! Speech!

Frodo: Speech!

Bilbo: My dear Bagginses and Boffins, <Bagginses and Boffins cheer> Tooks and Brandybucks, <Tooks and Brandybucks cheer> Grubbs, <Grubbs cheer> Chubbs, <Chubbs cheer> Hornblowers, <Hornblowers cheer> Bolgers, <Bolgers cheer> Bracegirdles, <Bracegirdles cheer> and Proudfoots.

Mr.Proudfoot: Proudfeet! <hobbits laugh. Bilbo waves dismissively>

Bilbo: Today is my 111th birthday!

Hobbits: Happy birthday!

Hobbit: Happy birthday!

Bilbo: Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits. <Hobbits cheer>

Bilbo: I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.<dead silence from the crowd>

Bilbo: I, uh, I h-have things to do. <fidgets with the Ring behind his back.>

Bilbo (whispers to self): I’ve put this off for far too long.

Bilbo (to crowd): I regret to announce this is the end. I am going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell.

Bilbo (looks at Frodo and whispers): Goodbye. <Puts the Ring on and vanishes>

Hobbits (shocked): Ooh!

<Bilbo, invisible, leaves the party and returns to Bag End. Next scene shows Bag-End interior>

Bilbo: Hahahahaha! <flips the ring, catches it and puts it in his pocket>

Gandalf: I suppose you think that was terribly clever.

Bilbo (startled): Come on Gandalf! Did you see their faces?

Gandalf: There are many magic rings in this world Bilbo Baggins and none of them should be used lightly.

Bilbo: It was just a bit of fun! Oh you’re probably right, as usual. You will keep an eye on Frodo, won’t you?

Gandalf: Two eyes, as often as I can spare them.

Bilbo: I’m leaving everything to him.

Gandalf: What about this Ring of yours, is that staying too?

Bilbo: Yes, yes. It’s in an envelope over there on the mantelpiece. <Gandalf turns to look>

Bilbo: No, wait, its --here in my pocket. Heh, isn’t that, isn’t that odd though? <looks at the Ring> Yet, after all why not? Why shouldn’t I keep it?

Gandalf: I think you should leave the Ring behind, Bilbo. Is that so hard?

Bilbo: Well no... and yes! Now it comes to it, I don’t feel like parting with it, its mine, I found it, it came to me!

Gandalf: There’s no need to get angry.

Bilbo: What if I’m angry, it’s your fault! <caresses Ring> It’s mine! My own, my precious.

Gandalf: Precious? Its been called that before, but not by you.

Bilbo: Argh! What business is it of yours what I do with my own things!

Gandalf: I think you’ve had that Ring quite long enough.

Bilbo: You want it for yourself!

Gandalf (grows taller): Bilbo Baggins! Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks. I am not trying to rob you.

Gandalf (back to normal): I’m trying to help you.

<Bilbo starts weeping and hugs Gandalf>

Gandalf: All your long years we’ve been friends. Trust me as you once did, hmm? Let it go.

Bilbo: <collects himself> You’re right Gandalf, the Ring must go to Frodo. It’s late, the road is long. Yes it is time.

<Bilbo opens the door>

Gandalf: Bilbo...

Bilbo: Hmm?

Gandalf: ...the Ring is still in your pocket.

Bilbo: Oh, yes...

<Bilbo pulls out the Ring from his pocket. He stares at it on his palm, then slowly and with a great effort turns his hand, allowing it to slip off his palm. It lands on the floor with a heavy thud>

<Bilbo runs out the door, goes a few paces, then stops and lifts his head. He looks relieved>

Bilbo: I’ve thought of an ending for my book. <turns to Gandalf at the door> "And he lived happily ever after...to the end of his days".

Gandalf: And I’m sure you will my dear friend.

Bilbo: Good bye, Gandalf.

Gandalf: Good bye, dear Bilbo.

<Bilbo goes out by the gate, and starts down the road.>

Bilbo (singing): The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began...

Gandalf: Until our next meeting.

<Gandalf re-enters Bag End. He stoops to pick up the ring but stops short when the Eye of Sauron flashes in his mind. He rises and proceeds to sit himself by the fireplace>

Voice over of Bilbo: Its mine, my own, my precious!

Gandalf (mumbling): Riddles in the Dark.

<Frodo enters Bag End>

Frodo: Bilbo! Bilbo! He sees the Ring and stoops to pick it up>

Gandalf (mumbling): My precious.

<Frodo notices Gandalf smoking by the fireplace, approaches him>

Gandalf (mumbling): Precious...

Frodo: He's gone hasn't he? He talked for so long about leaving. I didn't think he'd really do it.

Frodo: Gandalf?

Gandalf: Hmm.<smiles at Frodo> Bilbo's Ring. He's gone to stay with the elves. He's left you Bag End...

<Gandalf holds envelope open, Frodo slips in the Ring, Gandalf seals the envelope and gives it to Frodo.>

Gandalf: ...along with all his possessions. The Ring is yours now. Put it somewhere out of sight.<Gets up to leave>

Frodo: Where are you going?

Gandalf: There are some things that I must see to.

Frodo: What things?

Gandalf: Questions. Questions that need answering!

Frodo: But you've only just arrived! I don't understand.

Gandalf (looking back at Frodo): Neither do I. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.

<Gandalf leaves Bag End. Frodo looks at the envelope in his hand, containing the Ring>

Bakshi's version is extrememly truncated, with only a glimpse of Bilbo, Frodo and Gandalf before the disappearance, so we get none of the buildup recieved in the other versions. we also get an easily convinced Bilbo handing over the ring for apparently no reason. This version really is butchered beyond rerason. While its is strictly "puristy" in that everything is book canon, so much is left out that it makes no sense.
Bakshi wrote:Narrator It was Bilbo Baggins, the Hobbit, who took the Ring back to the Shire, his home. Years later Gandalf the Wizard visited Bilbo on his going-away birthday party.

(Bilbo’s birthday party)

Bilbo I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Gandalf Well, Frodo, I can see your uncle Bilbo hasn't changed much.
Bilbo And though a hundred and eleven years is far too short a time to live among such admirable Bagginses and Boffinses, Grubbs, Chubbs, Bracegirdles, Goodbodies, Bolgers, Hornblowers and Proudfoots…
Odo Proudfoot Proudfeet!
Bilbo I regret to announce that this is the end. I’m going away. I’m leaving. Now. Goodbye.

(in Bag End)

Bilbo Oh, Gandalf.
Gandalf Have you left the Ring for Frodo, as we agreed?
Bilbo It's mine, I tell you! It’s my own. My precious! It’s mine now, and I shall keep it. I won’t give my precious away, I tell you!
Gandalf Do not say that again! Give it to Frodo, and I will look after him.
Bilbo All right, I will.
While I prefer the fuller treatment given in BBC, I have to say PJ & Co did an admirable job on this section also.

I'll try to get the Minds Eye version up later, but I don't have a transcript so it may take a while. (Is anyone actually interested in the Minds Eye production, or should I just drop it?)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

This seems like the right time to voice my extreme displeasure at the changes and cuts PJ made with the EE. I vastly prefer the TE version, can't fathom why he cut bits and pieces out of the cart ride (the only thing cut out of the EEs), and absolutely can't stand the scene with Bilbo frantically searching for the ring. This makes me mad every time I watch FOTR now! :x :rage: :x :rage: :x

typo edit
Last edited by yovargas on Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm curious about the Mind's Eye, because everyone says it's so bad, but that's not enough for me to ask you to wade through all that, Alatar.

In the EE version of PJ's opening, I was delighted that Gandalf now sings the Road song "with" the score instead of "in spite of" the score. I know things are missing, but I don't mind Bilbo's hunt for the Ring as a bit of storytelling.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Sorry for jumping ahead, Alatar. :oops: :)

You know, it's terribly difficult to discuss this without either hearing those wonderful BBC LOTR actors in my head - :love: - or seeing/hearing the wonderful cast PJ assembled - :love: - but I will try.

A few brief comments:

BBC

'And as the poor fellow'd been up here four times already today, I said as how I'd deliver them for him'.

Sibley & Bakewell get Sam's inflections just right. :)

Bilbo: Oh, bless my soul, Frodo, listen to this: "We wish to acknowledge your invitation and to notify you of our acceptance. Otho and Lobelia Sackville-Baggins."

Frodo: Well, you didn't think they'd miss it, did you?

Excellent writing. Captures the relationship between the two Bagginses perfectly, plus their 'English gentleman' way of speaking, and fills you in nicely on the longstanding feud between them and the SBs.

Quibble: Frodo is 33, a young man who has come of age. Would he really be so excited about fireworks, even if they ARE Gandalf's? How old is he again? :D The boy needs to get out more. :P (To be fair, this is more a comment on how Ian Holm interpreted this rather than Sibley & Bakewell's writing.)

PJ
I think this whole section is really excellent too. I don't mind the bit with Bilbo panicking when he can't find the Ring, because it's so well acted, but I take the point that PJ is rather spoiling the tension of the audience not yet knowing the exact nature of the Ring. But hey ... it's the EE, after all.

Nice. :) Put the biggest grin on my face when I first heard this line!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Hey, I know this is late, but HERE is PJ's intro. Someone put the clip on YouTube....
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I just watched Bakshi's for the first time. Years of being on these boards and repeatedly hearing it mocked could not have prepared me for how intensely awful this work is. We're not just talking "bad adaptation" kind of bad, we're talking MST3K kind of bad. And far and beyond the inumerable things that are just plainly BAD, is the fact that the movie is just enourmously, relentlessly UGLY. A complete and utter visual disaster. Goodness. I thought it'd be good for a laugh but mostly I just sat in stunned awe. :shock:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Word, Yov, word. 8)

'MST3K kind of bad' ... :rofl: I love that. :D

What used to get my goat on the M00bie forum were those purists who would bash PJ - which of course is a legitimate opinion :) - but then hold up the Bakshi cartoon as being 'more purist' than PJ's films. :shock: :x

The word 'purism' simply has no meaning when applied to the Bakshi cartoon. OK, it was faithful to the storyline. But it replaced Tolkien's characters with garden gnomes and Disney-fied elves, and it replaced Tolkien's beautiful vision with visuals that are so ugly they're offensive, so in my humble and subjective opinion - :P - all of that made fidelity to the storyline completely redundant.

If people want to laud a faithful adaptation of LOTR, they should look no further than the BBC radio version. It's excellent.

Not perfect. But excellent.

PS. I always feel mean for bashing Bakshi, who is ignored by the fandom. And PJ did pinch at least a couple of his ideas. But ... I'm afraid I do really loathe this cartoon. The Rankin Bass LOTR can be excused on the grounds that its makers were obviously high on crack. :D