The Lord of the Rings – The Adaptations.

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Whatever one may think of PJ's films as films (I love them, of course, warts and all), I have to believe that it is much better that most people's visual impressions of Middle-earth now come from those films rather than from Bakshi or <shudder> Rankin-Bass.

PJ's films also corrected, for most people, the notion that LotR is a children's story.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Sorry to bump this for a throwaway comment, and maybe this is already common knowledge, but you know how people like to joke that the Mind's Eye's Sam sounds like a smurf eunich? It turns out that he actually was voiced by the woman who played Smurfette (Lucille "Lou" Bliss). :shock:

I'm very curious to understand the thought process that begins with "we need someone to play Sam in our LOTR adaptation" and ends with "hey, let's give Smurfette a call".