New Packaging of LotR with Costa Botes Documentaries!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

That's what happened to me too Jewel. :neutral:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's like crack. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

*wonders if Blockbuster will have them...though realizes this won't satisfy my need to own the documentaries* :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<contemplates son's tuition bills>

:bawl:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

The documentaries look interesting, they really do...but what am I going to do with yet another copy of the film? :scratch:

I'll probably wait till the documentaries are sold seperately. Or pick them up secondhand on Ebay or Amazon once the price drops a bit.

And, with there being only a limited amount of money in the world...
<goes back to waiting for October> :P

ttbk
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Primula Baggins wrote:<contemplates son's tuition bills>

:bawl:
reminds me of my mom except she's thinking abouttwo tuituons (me and my twin) :P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

This is the first of nine solid years when we'll have either one or two kids in college. (Four years and out, kids! Though the IB helps—my oldest got almost a full year of college credit through having earned his IB diploma.)

I'm thinking I should've bought a new pair of shoes before the nine years started.

Amazon has these for $16.98 separately, and $61-something in a 3-pack—and they're selling more 3-packs. Can't people multiply? :scratch:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, if the 3-Pack is nicely presented I'll buy it even if its more expensive than the individual pieces.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:) Alatar, not only a fan, also a Collector (with a capital 'C')
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Guilty as charged. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Answers to some of our questions, plus a new "Sneak Peek" here:

http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_400 ... eddvd.html
FAQs

Still have questions about this release? Here are some Frequently Asked Questions from other fans.

WHEN IS THE LORD OF THE RINGS GOING TO BE RELEASED IN HIGH DEFINITION (EITHER HD-DVD OR BLU-RAY)?

The high definition formats that have recently launched offer exceptional picture and sound quality in addition to new interactive bonus feature capabilities. New Line Home Entertainment is committed to the high definition format and is very excited about the idea of releasing the Trilogy in the format. However, New Line is also committed to maximizing the capabilities of the technology to deliver a cutting edge high definition experience. This will take more time as well as the participation of the filmmakers to achieve. It is currently not scheduled for release until, at the earliest, 2008.

I ALREADY OWN BOTH VERSIONS OF EACH FILM. WHY DOESN'T NEW LINE JUST RELEASE THE DOCUMENTARIES?

Having unprecedented access to the cast and crew during film production inevitably means that there are some restrictions. In this case, releasing these documentaries unaccompanied by the film would be nearly impossible because of agreements that are in place with the cast and crew. We wanted to make the documentaries available while also giving the fans something they don't have, which is why we included both versions of the film on one disc.

HOW ARE THESE DOCUMENTARIES DIFFERENT FROM THE ONES ON THE SPECIAL EXTENDED DVD EDITIONS?

The in-depth documentaries on the Special Extended DVD Editions were custom made for the DVDs using new interviews from the cast and crew incorporated with the behind-the-scenes footage to tell the stories. The Costa Botes documentaries use only creatively edited behind-the-scenes footage to give you, the viewer, a feeling of "being there" in the moment while things are happening. There is no narrative to tell the story, but instead a constantly running series of clips that show the raw moments that make up the day-to-day progress on a large film production.
Fair enough.

Who am I kidding. I have to get these....
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The review of the new DVD set from the local weekly tabloid:
The cynic -- and, really, is there one among the legion of Lord of the Rings fans? -- will dismiss these three double-disc releases as a lousy cash-in; if you want the theatrical and/or extended versions of Peter Jackson's movies, you probably already own them, and offering them as a single package is no great shakes at this late date. Each comes with new making-of docs, which consist, more or less, of raw footage during which the movie's stars and extras can be seen and heard cracking up and killing time during breaks. New Line swears it couldn't release the docs separately, so you're forced to shell out the long green to watch Jackson and his crew look for lost film while Ian McKellen fiddles with his headgear.
Ouch.

This is actually not the kind of documentary of the film that engages me, so I'll pass.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Strange thing is, if these were released without the original movies bundled at the same price I don't think anyone would be complaining. At $17 each they're hardly overpriced and considering you get both versions of the movie thrown in for free, I really don't see the issue. I'd pay $20 each for the documentaries on their own.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

We wanted to make the documentaries available while also giving the fans something they don't have, which is why we included both versions of the film on one disc.
What utter bs. The fans don't want this and it's really not something they don't have. Most big fans aren't going to bother so much with the TEs so much anymore...and if they wanted to it's not hard to grab the other disc.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Actually, not to be a drooling fanboy, but if I was going on a work trip I could see myself throwing these in with my Laptop.

I certainly wouldn't do that with my EE Boxes. They're beautiful to display, but not exactly hardwearing.

And I still watch some of the TE's :)