The Lord of the Rings Symphony

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

My memories of the Koln Arena are of being crushed by half the city of Milan while standing in line (ie, mob scene!) for a bowl of rice. :P

So, your experience sounded much better, Hobby!

And I'm not at all jealous, TB, not at all....

Yeah, so I'm a bad liar. I think it's awesome you got to see that. The few times the LotR symphony has been in cities near me, Howard Shore didn't conduct, so I didn't go. I doubt the symphony will be back in the area any time soon, but we'll see.....
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Mith :rofl:
Well, but you can say you were an active participant in an event in the Arena! :P
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Yes, I was! And I must say I am very happy that I went to World Youth Day and got to see your lovely city :).
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

And I am very happy that you went to World Youth Day, too, because I got to see you. :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Every decade seems to have its own special series of films that inspires...
BY ROB HUBBARD
Pioneer Press

Every decade seems to have its own special series of films that inspires anticipation and line-around-the-block devotion, and the chief cinematic obsession of recent years has been the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, an elaborate epic adapted from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel of the residents of Middle Earth, their travels and travails, loves and wars.

But, even if one regards the trio of films as an armed forces recruiting commercial for the "Dungeons and Dragons" set, it must be admitted that Howard Shore's scores were a perfect fit for the films. Sounding every bit as expansive and scenic as the movies, they blow every emotion up to CinemaScope scale.

But they are scores strong enough to work even without the story they're designed to complement, and, to prove the point, the Minnesota Orchestra is presenting Shore's "Lord of the Rings" Symphony this weekend, an evening-length adaptation of his music for the films.

With the able assistance of the Minnesota Chorale, Minnesota Boychoir and soprano Kaitlyn Lusk, guest conductor Markus Huber and the orchestra made Friday's concert an evening of appropriately epic proportions, the kind of stirring experience that leaves one feeling not as if you've had a productive workout for the soul, but at least sensing that some emotional muscle tone was firmed up.

Since the movies are loaded with warfare and attendant conflicts, it's not surprising that Shore's programmatic symphony follows the emotional arc of a war story, from the inspiring call to arms to the inevitable despair and disillusionment of engagement to the exultant triumph at its conclusion. Greater composers than Shore have trod this path, but they've seldom done it with this sense of outsized splash.

It's to Huber's credit that he inspired such enthusiasm from the performers, who threw themselves full force at the work while illustrations from the film's designers shone on a screen behind them. If there was any cynicism on stage, it wasn't evident. The sheer scale of the project was breathtaking, and the roars of approval at evening's end confirmed it to be an idea that had found its audience.
But, even if one regards the trio of films as an armed forces recruiting commercial for the "Dungeons and Dragons" set
That's the first time I've heard that one. :suspicious:

The newly launched HowardShore.com conveniently serves as the best place to check for upcoming performances.

Currently scheduled:
* October 14, 2006 - Minneapolis MN
* October 28 & 29, 2006 - Albuquerque NM
* January 6, 2007 - Leipzig DE
* January 19 & 20, 2007 - Louisville KY
* February 21 & 22, 2007 - St. Petersburg FL
(the link above has ordering information, where it is available)

ttbk
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Lovely lip-curling there by Mr. Hubbard. :x
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Sooo - the LOTR Symphony is doing a new tour through Germany (plus Vienna).

12. April 2007 Ort: München Olympiahalle

13. April 2007 Ort: Wiener Stadthalle, Wien, Österreich

15. April 2007 Ort: Berlin Tempodrom

18. April 2007 Ort: Erfurt Messehalle

19. April 2007 Ort: Magdeburg Bördelandhalle

21. April 2007 Ort: Kölnarena, Köln

22. April 2007 Ort: Frankfurt/M. Jahrhunderthalle

The interesting part is that a girl in our choir sang in it last time (when I saw it in the Kölnarena), and asked if anyone would be interested to join this time round - they are happy to welcome loads of guest singers, apparently. It's the last two concerts are organised by the same choir that did the Cologne concert last year (the other locations are played by some other choir and orchestra).
So, this time I signed up, of course. :D :D :D

Looks like there's four or five people from our choir who are participating altogether, and I've heard from two that they are Tolkien fans, too. :D

Quite some eye-rolling ensued when the girl who had been there last year brought the score with her, and all the texts were in some kind of English phonetic spelling. :shock: :rofl:

So, "Ai laurie lantar lassi surinen" becomes: "Eye looree lahntahr lahssee sooreenen"

If we just pronounced either of them according to German pronunciation rules, the first would be pretty much the original Elvish, while the second would just be gobbledegook. Maybe it's easier if you don't have much English, and don't know whether a word exists or not, but I find that if you know it's not an English word, you automatically pronounce it according to your own rules. So, even with speaking English as much as I do, I find it hard to look at a word like "sooreenen" and remember to pronounce it "surinen". :roll:

Anyway, it's still over a month till rehearsals start. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

wow, Hobby! You get to be in a LOTR performance? That's super cool!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

How cool, hobby! I'm very happy for you!
I've heard from two that they are Tolkien fans, too.
Invite 'em to join up here. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Oh, Hobby, I am so excited!

I didn´t even know that the LOTR symphony was coming to Cologne again until my husband turned up with two tickets in his hands! So I will be there and listen to you! :D
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks, Frelga, Voronwë and Lhaewin! :hug:

Wow, Lhaewin, that was sweet of your hubby! :D
Invite 'em to join up here.
I wouldn't be surprised if their Elvish was better than their English, but I'll try to find out, if I get a chance. ;) :)
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

truehobbit wrote:
Wow, Lhaewin, that was sweet of your hubby! :D
Yes, indeed! :love:
Last edited by Lhaewin on Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

truehobbit wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if their Elvish was better than their English
There is that, isn't there? Your English is so good that I tend to forget that its not your first language (and that not everyone around you understands, speaks and writes it as well as well as you do).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That is wonderful, hobby! :hug: I hope you have fun!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

That's cool, hobby! 8)

The phonetic spelling in the score is probably far from correct, though; at least, the correct pronunciation for "laurië" is definitely NOT "looree"! :roll:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

The symphony is coming back to the midwest... right in time for TTBK & I's honeymoon.

:D :D :D
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Fantastic! You two are so lucky!

I wonder where Cem and TTBK will be going on their honeymoon... ;)
Why is the duck billed platypus?
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Just one day out of many... so you can only pin down our destination for one night. ;)

We will be going many places... but the main thing is we are going together... :love:
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

And that is the best bit for you two I'm sure. :)
Why is the duck billed platypus?
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

:D :D :D

Yeah.

But TTBK is so passionate about the scores, it is virtually impossible not to be caught up with him & I will really be looking forward to this night of music. :)