Ravenhill puzzling question

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sauronsfinger

Ravenhill puzzling question

Post by sauronsfinger »

In the BATTLE OF FIVE ARMIES Official Movie Guide by Brian Sibley, they have four pages on the Ravenhill fighting. And what is puzzling is that what is shown is very different than what was in the movie.

They show a rather large diorama of Ravenhill used by Jackson and his crew to plan out the shots for the film. And all over the thing are large numbers of combatants including lots of fighters from various armies all over the place on different levels and engaged in different actions. There is also a photo of the large dwarf chariot and it in are dwarves who were NOT on Ravenhill until the death scene.

If anyone has this book please look at it - pages 148 - 151 - and see what you make of this. Either Jackson decided late in the game to NOT use this approach or they filmed much more and we have yet to see it.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Passdagas the Brown

Re: Ravenhill puzzling question

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

In the Chronicles book, it is said that members of the company attempt to get to Ravenhill in a goat-chariot. My guess is that either before or after Thorin dies, the other members of the company get to Ravenhill in time to help kill off some of the orcs from Bolg's army that arrive on Ravnhill (those that survive the eagle/Beorn assault, I suppose).
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I only have the Chronicles book so far as well (am getting the Sibley book for Christmas from one of my kids!) A goat-chariot was utilized by Thorin, Dwalin and the heirs to get to Ravenhill as far as terrain and damaged would allow. The idea is that they then cut the goats free and rode them bareback the rest of the way. As for the chariot we saw in the trailer with Balin driving, I don't know how that fits in with the current version of the film. There are several mentions of scenes in the Chronicles that we may or may not get in the EE, including a planned semi-comic demise for Alfrid in the midst of the battle - though I almost hope that will be dropped completely since I can't helping thinking it would detract from the major characters' deaths...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I am dreading that PJ will put a lot of unnecessary junk that was CGI'd in at the last minute (and wasn't finished in time) into the EE. Such as the goat-chariot stuff, etc. I hope against hope that the focus of the EE is on slowing things down a bit, and more reflective, atmospheric scenes, such as the funeral, etc. And some more Iron Hills dwarf stuff. I like dwarf stuff.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I like dwarf stuff.
I am getting the impression PtB is a 4ft8 bearded fellow. Or he could be a 7ft8 man-child. Who really knows... :D