It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:33 am 
chocolate bearer

Some places will be showing the entire trilogy on Monday, December 15. The urge to take a day off from work and go see it from 1 PM to 7 PM or so in 3-D IMAX is pretty strong, but I'm already taking December 16th off to crew on a 51 foot sailboat, and anyway I'm not sure my brain could handle it. Ah, the first world dilemmas we have!

Here's where to check for local listings. Lots in the SF Bay Area.
http://movietickets.warnerbros.com/us/t ... -marathon/

And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.

~ Albert Camus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:07 pm 
Feeling grateful

I think it would be more likely to be 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. or so

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:57 pm 

I am going to see all three Hobbit movies on Tuesday in IMAX 3D, starting around 6 p.m, together with my brother. I can't believe that it all ends in less than seventy-five hours. And I am going to see it once more in HFR a week after that on the sixteenth with my parents and my brother. And surely once more after that (again only with my brother)...one last time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:29 pm 
Feeling grateful

It doesn't end then; not until the EE comes out, at least. And perhaps not then either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:30 pm 

I've never done one of those three film marathons, mostly out of fear. The question for me is: would I be exhausted by the time the third film rolls along (in this case, BOFA), and if so, would that dampen my enjoyment of it?

In this case, though, my sense is that the three Hobbit films might play better as one single film (barring the Thorin-Bilbo resolution/ hug off at the end of AUJ).

Hmmm....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:19 pm 

Apparently one of our local cinemas is showing a double bill with DoS on Thursday, beginning at 9pm, and opening the BotFA run at 00:01 am....

I imagine those two movies back to back will work quite well - at least the cliff hanger won't be an issue!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:55 pm 

There are also a bunch of theaters showing the marathon in Monday the 15th, starting early afternoon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:11 am 

Passdagas the Brown wrote:
I've never done one of those three film marathons, mostly out of fear. The question for me is: would I be exhausted by the time the third film rolls along (in this case, BOFA), and if so, would that dampen my enjoyment of it?

In this case, though, my sense is that the three Hobbit films might play better as one single film (barring the Thorin-Bilbo resolution/ hug off at the end of AUJ).

Hmmm....

That was/is my fear too. A friend of mine watched all of Nolan's Batman films in a row and could not enjoy the third film. He was tired and the theatre started to smell. But as I said before, he is weak and I highly doubt my brother and I will be tired when film three starts around midnight :horse: A couple of years ago we watched all extended editions in a row on a 19-inch PC-monitor and it worked out just fine, so I think it might work as well on an IMAX screen. And you are correct that the Hobbit films could hugely benefit from such a marathon screening, thereby avoiding any feelings of incompleteness.

I would go for it, PtB, but be sure to read my thoughts on the film on Wednesday, as I can then tell you if the marathon-screening was a good idea.

I should emphasize that my brother and I are still relatively young fellows (early tweens in the Tolkien-sense). As most of you are much, much older, it might be more challenging for you. :devil:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:57 am 
Feeling grateful

What's that you say, sonny? Here, let me turn my hearing aid up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:19 am 
Living in hope

Let me just lend you my liniment, Sonny.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:09 am 

Is that Beutlin hanging around on my lawn again? My vision's fuzzy, but it looks like that young hooligan with his pants 'round his ankles. Make yourself useful and get a job!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:07 pm 

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
It doesn't end then; not until the EE comes out, at least. And perhaps not then either.

:hug: :grouphug:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 am 

I am attending the film on December the 18th- premiere in Greece/Salonica- with 7 friends of mine and i have already booked another viewing on the 19th(next day) with my mother,aunt and uncle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:25 am 
of Vinyamar

I'll be watching the trilogy tomorrow, but it may be Friday evening before I get to post my thoughts!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:20 am 
Aagragaah

Have fun, Al. Is the whole family going?

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:34 am 
of Vinyamar

No, just me, Conor and a friend of his. Looking forward to it now!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:40 pm 
Feeling grateful

I hope you really enjoy it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:58 pm 

4 hours left until my first viewing of BOTFA. I am getting really excited as time goes by.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:45 pm 
Feeling grateful

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:34 pm 
Lán de Grás

I'll be seeing it today at noon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next