BotFA professional reviews

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: BotFA professional reviews

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Back up to 78% with a lukewarm positive review from Playlist: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... e-20141202
Aside from this battle sequence, "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" is truly enjoyable as a victory lap for Martin Freeman, who plays Bilbo Baggins, the titular hobbit. His performance is probably the least showy in the entire franchise, a character defined almost exclusively by crippling self-doubt, a lack of physical prowess, and a duplicitous side that could get him in a lot of trouble (especially given the magical ring he picked up in the first "Hobbit" outing). Freeman is so good, in fact, that he's easy to overlook, especially amongst all the actors adorned with prosthetic ears (like Evangeline Lily and, returning from "Lord of the Rings," Orlando Bloom) or replaced as performance capture marvels (including, in this film, Billy Connolly). Here he's given the opportunity to be more outwardly heroic and connect with the other characters on a deeper level. He makes tough decisions and stands by them and, as essayed by Freeman, Bilbo is firmly established as the quietly beating heart of a series defined largely by cacophonous sound and fury.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Inching up to 79% with a very positive review from Twitch: http://twitchfilm.com/2014/12/review-th ... rmies.html
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Down to 77% with 2 very positive and one very negative UK reviews (all of which I think have already been mentioned here) added.
Voronwë the Faithful

Even though there are still only 22 reviews, RT has a "Critics consensus":
Suitably grim, epic, and action-packed, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies ends Peter Jackson's second Middle-earth trilogy on a rousing high note.
Voronwë the Faithful

Down to 74% with a truly awful review from something called "We Got This Covered": http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/hobb ... es-review/

Sometimes I wonder whether the various reviewers actually watch the same films.
Voronwë the Faithful

Two very different reviews, even though they are both 4/5 stars:

http://www.finalreel.co.uk/the-hobbit-t ... es-review/ (this one should eventually be added to RT)

http://www.fatmovieguy.com/review/the-h ... ie-review/
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I love that Fat Movie Guy says Thranduil reminded him of Ronan the Accuser from Guardians of the Galaxy. Someone needs to tell him that both characters are played by Lee Pace...
Voronwë the Faithful

I'll leave it to you.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Voronwë the Faithful

Up to 75% with a good but not great (7/10 stars) review from Comingsoon.net: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/review ... 2#/slide/1
Necromancer Rising

Post by Necromancer Rising »

A new positive review by Daily Star UK: 4/5

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/movies/41400 ... ive-Armies

Greetings to all :cheers:
Passdagas the Brown

Hallo Mr. Necromancer! Welcome to the neighborhood. Funny, you look just like this guy I knew that used to raise hell...

Oh no.

It's Saaaurrrron!
Necromancer Rising

Hi Raddy 8) Thanks for the welcome.

I am much more handsome than him but not less evil sometimes :horse:
Necromancer Rising

Oregon Herald 2.5 stars. Negative to mixed review. Soon in RT

http://oregonherald.com/reviews/show-review.cfm?id=128
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Necromancer Rising wrote: Greetings to all :cheers:
The darkness is coming.
(Or has it come indeed?)
Necromancer Rising

It may spread to every corner of the land but light shall prevail sooner or later :cheerleader:
Voronwë the Faithful

Necromancer Rising wrote:Oregon Herald 2.5 stars. Negative to mixed review. Soon in RT

http://oregonherald.com/reviews/show-review.cfm?id=128
It'll be interesting to see whether it is listed as Fresh or Rotten. Based on the review itself, I would think the latter, but 2/5 stars would seem like it should be Fresh.
Necromancer Rising

I believe it will be a rotten review Voronwë. His rating does not justify the harsh criticism towards the film though. :?
Voronwë the Faithful

It certainly should be listed as rotten. It's pretty negative overall. To the point that I wonder whether the rating is an error. Although I see that his scale is based on five stars, not four. Still, I would expect a review like that to have no more than two stars, even in a five star scale.
Voronwë the Faithful

The Daily Star review was added to RT, bringing the rating up to 76% through the first 25 reviews. Identical to DoS, actually (19 fresh, 6 rotten).
Passdagas the Brown

The reviewers choose whether to label their reviews fresh or rotten, so the star count doesn't matter in that regard.

Honestly, I think Metacritic gives a far more accurate picture of how a film is reviewed. I don't check RT at all anymore.