The Hobbit: BotFA Trailer discussion with SPOILERS

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: The Hobbit: BotFA Trailer discussion with SPOILERS

Post by Primula Baggins »

If I'm not mistaken, the express train is the only serious anachronism in LotR. I can't say it bothers me. It's just a technical problem for me. I tend to dislike situations where the narrator knows something the characters don't. It isn't how I think it should be done. ( I dislike narrators as such, so I'm really no judge.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

One of the great charms of the Hobbit, IMO, is that the narrator knows more than the characters, and often pokes fun at them!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Wow. A mere five people here on HoF are interested in talking about the last trailer for the last Middle Earth film by Peter Jackson. Wonder if that says something about waning interest, at least among Tolkien fans...

Make that a 6. :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Wow. A mere five people here on HoF are interested in talking about the last trailer for the last Middle Earth film by Peter Jackson.
I watched the trailer and thought it was quite good but I've been trying to avoid both hype-ness and spoileryness so you won't hear much from me for now. :)

But if you want topics to talk about: Prediction - Leggy will kill several orcs. Agree/disagree? :spin:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Too much CG and too much Azog, and I'm nervous they're going to overplay the element of Sauron and Smaug being in league.,

Still, I enjoyed it. It's very character-centric (for the most part) and looks like the movie will be emotionally satisfying.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elentári wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:Wow. A mere five people here on HoF are interested in talking about the last trailer for the last Middle Earth film by Peter Jackson. Wonder if that says something about waning interest, at least among Tolkien fans...

That's four more than TORC... ;)
And four million less than TORN ... ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Passdagas the Brown wrote:One of the great charms of the Hobbit, IMO, is that the narrator knows more than the characters, and often pokes fun at them!
It's just not to my taste—it's one of the things that makes the Hobbit a "children's book," and when I was a child I didn't like winking narrators, either. Even then I preferred to laugh at the characters in my own way! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

Tolkien himself came to really dislike that aspect of the book.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

I think Tolkien was wrong. :)

But in general, I agree about a dislike for winking narrators. It's just that Tolkien, I thought, was a lot funnier than most of them.
Passdagas the Brown

yovargas wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:Wow. A mere five people here on HoF are interested in talking about the last trailer for the last Middle Earth film by Peter Jackson.
I watched the trailer and thought it was quite good but I've been trying to avoid both hype-ness and spoileryness so you won't hear much from me for now. :)

But if you want topics to talk about: Prediction - Leggy will kill several orcs. Agree/disagree? :spin:
I thought this place discouraged such wild and baseless speculation. Shame on you, yov.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Hi Res screencaps from the trailer courtesy of Dark Jackal:

http://thorinoakenshield.net/battle-of- ... creencaps/
Voronwë the Faithful

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<shakes fist at wimpy hotel wifi>
Voronwë the Faithful

Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I watched the trailer, and enjoyed it. That's more than I can say about the first two Hobbit films, so I do not have high high hopes for the film--but I have some little low hopes.

:)
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Voronwë the Faithful

Little low hopes are better than no hopes.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:What is happening here?

https://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.co ... 077786.jpg
A Thief in the Night? Looks like Bilbo on top of the barricade...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Smaug's demise?

https://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.co ... 110944.jpg
It's certainly Bard attempting to reach the Windlance.... Is that an ordinary black arrow he's using to climb with?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:What is happening here?

https://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.co ... 077786.jpg
Almost certainly Thief in the Night (note that you can also see army campfires in Dale, where Bard and Thranduil are camped). The shot also comes after a shot of Bilbo throwing a rope over the barricade, and hopping over...
Passdagas the Brown

I love this shot:

https://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.co ... 027819.jpg

I think these orcs look closest to how Tolkien described most of them. With more of a simian physiology (long arms, short legs, etc):

https://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.co ... 124249.jpg