The Hobbit: BotFA Trailer discussion with SPOILERS

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Hobbit: BotFA Trailer discussion with SPOILERS

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Also, I'm very pleased that Bilbo puts the Ring on. That suggests that his role in the battle is at least partly going to parallel the book (though I doubt he will get knocked out).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I have a feeling Bilbo will participate in the battle for a while, killing stuff and saving a few of his friends here and there, and then he will get knocked out. PJ has a tendency to make massive changes, but then include a few of the more iconic moments. We got "good morning" and I think we'll get this one. :)
Passdagas the Brown

Dave_LF wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:I think a lot of the "Massive" shots (if they are still using that technology) look painfully fake, though. Particularly the ones of the elven army lined up before the front gate.
But I find the massive shots kind of boring at this point anyway. I think they could replace them all with claymation without having much effect on my enjoyment.
They're not only boring to me. They take me right out of a film (and did so in TTT and ROTK as well). They simply do not look very good, and have been overdone in countless films since LOTR.

Was watching the initial tank battle between Patton and Rommel (well, Rommel's subordinate) in Patton yesterday, which is on a pretty epic scale. And despite its age, it looks vastly better than anything PJ has produced with Massive technology. I understand that there's a need for CGI to insert trolls and bats and eagles and such, but a better balance of real people and CGI is certainly preferable, non?

In any event, I liked this trailer (and the piano at the beginning strikes me as very fitting for this material...).
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I have a feeling Bilbo will participate in the battle for a while, killing stuff and saving a few of his friends here and there, and then he will get knocked out. PJ has a tendency to make massive changes, but then include a few of the more iconic moments. We got "good morning" and I think we'll get this one. :)
I told you all along that we would get "good morning". :whistle:

You may well be right about this. I hope so, but I'm not wedded to it like I was to "good morning".
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Sorry, I was wrong. There is one shot (at 1:26) of the Iron Hill dwarves seemingly firing ballista arrows at the elven army (though it may be cut just to seem that way, and they could just as well be firing at bats).
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:I have a feeling Bilbo will participate in the battle for a while, killing stuff and saving a few of his friends here and there, and then he will get knocked out. PJ has a tendency to make massive changes, but then include a few of the more iconic moments. We got "good morning" and I think we'll get this one. :)
I told you all along that we would get "good morning". :whistle:

You may well be right about this. I hope so, but I'm not wedded to it like I was to "good morning".
Oh right, yeah. I remember you saying that. ;)
Passdagas the Brown

Also, that thing people have been saying is a troll (we get a closeup of him at 1:57) is either a mini-troll of some kind, or just a very large orc that acts as a "troll-wrangler," or something. From 1:34-1:37, you see him in front of the massive battle trolls, leading them forward, and he's much smaller than they are.

ETA: This may be how PJ is distinguishing between the more intelligent, talking "hill trolls" of AUJ and the "mountain trolls" of BOTFA and LOTR.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Also, that thing people have been saying is a troll (we get a closeup of him at 1:57) is either a mini-troll of some kind, or just a very large orc that acts as a "troll-wrangler," or something. From 1:34-1:37, you see him in front of the massive battle trolls, leading them forward, and he's much smaller than they are.

ETA: This may be how PJ is distinguishing between the more intelligent, talking "hill trolls" of AUJ and the "mountain trolls" of BOTFA and LOTR.
There have been suggestions elsewhere that he might be the new leader of the Misty Mountain Goblins, perhaps related to the deceased Goblin King?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
eborr

Post by eborr »

BATS - c'mon Tolkien scholars where are the Bats in middle earth, perhaps the notion is that the enemy made bats to mock the birds of Gods creation.

Perhaps there are some other random creatures, from Dungeons and Dragons that can be dragged into the battle of 5(6,8,12) armies, shall we see the amorphous blob perhaps
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Passdagas the Brown

Elentári wrote:
There have been suggestions elsewhere that he might be the new leader of the Misty Mountain Goblins, perhaps related to the deceased Goblin King?
Ah, yes. That may be it. Would explain why PJ is bothering to show us Gundabad, when he already showed us Sauron's army at Dol Guldur. We may, in fact, be getting two separate orc armies, that may or may not be coordinated...one led by the Goblin King's son, and the other by Azog and company...
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The bats are book canon eborr. Or were you being funny?

I loved the trailer. But as I have said before, I'm easily pleased. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

eborr wrote:BATS - c'mon Tolkien scholars where are the Bats in middle earth, perhaps the notion is that the enemy made bats to mock the birds of Gods creation.
"Although it was not yet very cold, they tried lighting watch-fires at night, but they soon gave that up. It seemed to bring hundreds and hundreds of eyes all round them, though the creatures, whatever they were, were careful never to let their bodies show in the little flicker of the flames. Worse still it brought thousands of dark-grey and black moths, some nearly as big as your hand, flapping and whirring round their ears. They could not stand that, nor the huge bats, black as a top-hat, either; so they gave up fires and sat at night and dozed in the enormous uncanny darkness."
Chapter 8 - Flies and Spiders

"A whirl of bats frightened from slumber by their smoking torches flurried over them; as they sprang forward their feet slithered on stones rubbed smooth and slimed by the passing of the dragon. Now before them the water fell noisily outward and foamed down towards the valley. They flung their pale torches to the ground, and stood gazing out with dazzled eyes. They were come to the Front Gate, and were looking out upon Dale."
Chapter 13 - Not at Home

"'Halt!' cried Gandalf, who appeared suddenly, and stood alone, with arms uplifted, between the advancing dwarves and the ranks awaiting them. 'Halt!' he called in a voice like thunder, and his staff blazed forth with a flash like the lightning. 'Dread has come upon you all! Alas! it has come more swiftly than I guessed. The Goblins are upon you! Bolg of the North is coming. O Dain! whose father you slew in Moria. Behold! the bats are above his army like a sea of locusts. They ride upon wolves and Wargs are in their train!'"

"Day drew on. The goblins gathered again in the valley. There a host of Wargs came ravening and with them came the bodyguard of Bolg, goblins of huge size with scimitars of steel. Soon actual darkness was coming into a stormy sky; while still the great bats swirled about the heads and ears of elves and men, or fastened vampire-like on the stricken. Now Bard was fighting to defend the Eastern spur, and yet giving slowly back; and the elf-lords were at bay about their king upon the southern arm, near to the watch-post on Ravenhill."
Chapter 17 - The Clouds Burst
eborr

Post by eborr »

I stand corrected adopting a humble stance
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Passdagas the Brown

You could have gotten away with it, eborr. I assumed you were joking! :)
Voronwë the Faithful

We can still assume that!
Passdagas the Brown

Wow. A mere five people here on HoF are interested in talking about the last trailer for the last Middle Earth film by Peter Jackson. Wonder if that says something about waning interest, at least among Tolkien fans...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The bats "black as a top-hat"? That's one of the Hobbit moments that has flung me out for a bit when I reach it. A top-hat! In Middle-earth! Waistcoats I can get—they serve a functional role in keeping one warm, and I can imagine there was a Westron word for such a garment. And tea. Infusion of leaves, hot and soothing, yes. Pipeweed brings me up a bit short, but if I don't jib at potatoes, I shouldn't at that either. But a top-hat?

I haven't watched the trailer yet, so I'll step out until I have.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Wow. A mere five people here on HoF are interested in talking about the last trailer for the last Middle Earth film by Peter Jackson. Wonder if that says something about waning interest, at least among Tolkien fans...

That's four more than TORC... ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Anyway... here is IGN's breakdown of the trailer in their Rewind Theater:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/11/06/rew ... -trailer-2
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Primula Baggins wrote:The bats "black as a top-hat"? That's one of the Hobbit moments that has flung me out for a bit when I reach it. A top-hat! In Middle-earth! Waistcoats I can get—they serve a functional role in keeping one warm, and I can imagine there was a Westron word for such a garment. And tea. Infusion of leaves, hot and soothing, yes. Pipeweed brings me up a bit short, but if I don't jib at potatoes, I shouldn't at that either. But a top-hat?

I haven't watched the trailer yet, so I'll step out until I have.
Or how about "pop-gun"? As in "It is not like you, Bilbo, to keep friends waiting on the mat, and then open the door like a pop-gun!"

Or the "express train" reference in FOTR..."The dragon passed like an express train, turned a somersault, and burst over Bywater with a deafening explosion."