The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Would be nice...

The pattern in the past has been a trailer around June, and again in September, but I guess they're busy gearing up for SDCC in July so I don't know if we'll get a v-log before that...

ETA: Weta just announced in their latest newsletter that they will be attending Denver Comic-Con, June 13-15, so maybe we'll get something at that...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Beutlin

Speculations, speculations...

Post by Beutlin »

Círdan, the administrator of the German website www.herr-der-ringe-film.de, has recently published an article, where he asks the question why we have not seen a teaser/trailer for the last “Hobbit” film yet. Círdan claims that Warner Bros. originally planned to release the teaser with Godzilla. So far so good – then Círdan claims that there have been rumors by insiders that Peter Jackson is working on a whole new cut for “The Battle of the Five Armies”. Círdan thinks that Peter Jackson now wants to concentrate the film more on the battle itself, which, given the title change, does not sound so unreasonable. He also links this with Jackson’s decade long desire to make a film on World War I. He goes on to say that Tolkien was inspired by his experiences at the Somme when he wrote the respective chapter in the Hobbit.

What do you think? Will “The Battle of the Five Armies” be a WWI film set in Middle-earth?

Source: http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v3/de ... 112258.php

The article includes two pictures of burning Lake-town. I am pretty sure that these pictures have been released a long time ago.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's interesting, and not that surprising. I know that a lot of people are worried that the film will focus too much on the battle, but I think it will make it a better film if Jackson stays closer to what is dear to his heart.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

This news is both worrying and encouraging. Both feelings cancel each other out, and so I feel nothing. :neutral:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm not worried, I am just kinda :notimpressed:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I think you may well be the first person other than me to use that "emoticon".
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Some days we are all McKayla. :blackeye:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I have no idea who McKayla is, but it's a great emoticon!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

PtB, http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mckayla-is-not-impressed

On topic - I do think this further confirms that PJ is not filming The Hobbit, if it's true that the Battle will be the focus of the movie. The titular character is unconscious through most of it in the book.

Meh.

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Interview with Philippa Boyens on adapting a book.

The Angst of Adaptation
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:This news is both worrying and encouraging. Both feelings cancel each other out, and so I feel nothing. :neutral:
I've felt "nothing" for a long time about this adaptation...which is sad. There's so much good here and there that it just feels like a missed opportunity to me, and I find it hard to summon much enthusiasm anymore.

Still, I suppose there's a faint chance that the best might be yet to come.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I doubt it, unless you (the general you, more than specifically addressing you, Elen), are prepared to except this adaptation on its own terms.
Voronwë the Faithful

Adam Brown has apparently seen a trailer for BOFA:

https://twitter.com/BrownAds/status/470976121610469377
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Elentári wrote: I've felt "nothing" for a long time about this adaptation...which is sad. There's so much good here and there that it just feels like a missed opportunity to me, and I find it hard to summon much enthusiasm anymore.
I feel exactly the same.
Still, I suppose there's a faint chance that the best might be yet to come.
I seriously doubt that… :(
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful

Since you have already judged it sight unseen, my advice to you is not to waste your money.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Since you have already judged it sight unseen, my advice to you is not to waste your money.
Oh, I'll go see the blasted thing. I have "judged" it on what has come before. Like Elen, I am very disappointed as what I see as a missed opportunity.

But I'll pay my money and go see it. It's not "The Hobbit" by any stretch of anyone's imagination. But it's a link to Middle Earth, tenuous as it might be, and I'll go see it.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful

Less tenuous than you give it credit for, but inconsistent with your idea of what an adaptation of The Hobbit should be. It isn't my ideal adaptation either, but I can appreciate the aspects of Middle-earth that they incorporated along with many wonderful elements directly from the The Hobbit.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Personally, I'll go see it, time permitting, as a big, mostly fun, a bit sily fantasy action movie, in the same way that I'll probably go see Avengers 2. I mean, Thorin and Kili are hot and Freeman will be great even in a minor role. But I don't have that thrill of anticipation for seeing The Hobbit on screen.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'll be way more excited for Avengers 2! :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Give me Hobbit now, and keep nassty Avengers!