The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks, Elen! Especially for posting the larger banner—for a dreadful moment I thought that was Legolas standing behind Thorin.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I would PAY to see Legolas take an arrow to the heart to save Thorin, and then have him resurrected by Sauron, implying that the Legolas of LOTR is a zombie spy. This would go a long way in explaining/ justifying Bloom's acting choices.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Okay, prepare yourselves for yet another remarkable banner.... ;)

I present to you, the one and only, one-legged Thorin!

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It also looks like he has Orcrist, although that can't be right.

I do like the troll though!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

There's been more than one picture now of Thorin fighting with Orcrist in the battle; I think it is right. Maybe he gets it back as part of his bargaining, or maybe it is returned voluntarily once the armies unite.

(fighting *using* Orcrist, I mean)
Voronwë the Faithful

If you hadn't added that parenthetical phrase at the end, I would not have come away with this image of Thorin in a boxing ring facing Orcrist.

Thanks a lot!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:? So what's the towering wall on the far right of the image?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

That was going to be my next question!
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:If you hadn't added that parenthetical phrase at the end, I would not have come away with this image of Thorin in a boxing ring facing Orcrist.

Thanks a lot!
Thank whomever decided to drop the instrumental case from English. =:)
Elentári wrote:So what's the towering wall on the far right of the image?
Minas Tirith, apparently.
Voronwë the Faithful

Dave_LF wrote:There's been more than one picture now of Thorin fighting with Orcrist in the battle; I think it is right. Maybe he gets it back as part of his bargaining, or maybe it is returned voluntarily once the armies unite.
Now that I've gotten that (ahem) image out of my head, I can respond more substantively. I don't recall any such images that actually come from footage, as opposed to one of these wonderful photoshopped poster/banner thingees, which we all know are not exactly reliable (which staff, Mr. Gandalf?).
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

As to that, we should have a better idea in two days! :)

But it seems like it would be a solid storytelling decision to let him have it back so he could put it to some substantive use after all the Checkov buildup in AUJ.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That clump of fighters just to the left of the "Hobbit" lettering look awfully cheerful to me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Dave_LF wrote:As to that, we should have a better idea in two days! :)

But it seems like it would be a solid storytelling decision to let him have it back so he could put it to some substantive use after all the Checkov buildup in AUJ.
[PtB mode]Storytelling 101![/PtB mode]

Although in this case, I agree with PtB mode and would prefer that they buck convention, as Tolkien did, and not have Thorin put Orcrist to good use in the climatic battle despite the previous build-up and instead have it be used as part of the posthumous reconciliation.
Voronwë the Faithful

And an article in the USA Today with some new pics that appear to be from the trailer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movi ... /18450651/

I must say, I really like that troll. Some place between Tom, Bert and William, and the LOTR trolls.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Nice pic of Galadriel and Gandalf, too...still can't get my head around this "weak" Gandalf, so it will be interesting to see how it will all pan out in the movie.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Another new banner, this one I think with less to complain about:
Attachments
Gandalf bilbo eagles.jpg
Gandalf bilbo eagles.jpg (49.09 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ah, the Eagles....633 Squadron to the rescue! :D
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I knew you would find something to complain about!
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Gandalf's hair is too bushy!!!11
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Talk about a spoiler, though!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!