The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Somewhat interesting interview with Jackson in the LA Times, particularly his comments about Bard and Thorin:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/h ... armies/#/0
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

And ... the trailer has been rated PG at the Alberta Recently Classified Film trailers site, with a length of 2:24.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Gentle Professor Tolkien would be relieved.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Good Lord...the phantom 'shopper strikes again! Thorin looks more like the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz!!!

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Somewhat interesting interview with Jackson in the LA Times, particularly his comments about Bard and Thorin:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/h ... armies/#/0
Hmmm...I note wryly that having changed the title of the third movie to BotFA, Jackson is now having to persuade the media that it's not just a war film... :roll:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

There's definitely something wrong with that poster - this is the original pose/grouping, with Thorin's head looking more normal:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I think it's funny!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Nothing about even the second poster looks normal to me. It looks as if it's been through Blingee. Super Sparkle Fun Thorin!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Those posters are so horrible that they're great. Like a Star Trek Halloween Special merged with the Hobbit.
Voronwë the Faithful

Exactly!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The Star Trek What, PtB? :scratch:

Surely you're thinking of the Star Wars Holiday Special. If so, you have my sympathies.
Passdagas the Brown

No, it doesn't have a Star Wars vibe at all. It looks like what the advertisement for a Star Trek Halloween Special would look like, were one to exist. Merged with the Hobbit.

Hope I still have your sympathies! :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Always, PtB. :)

(And I confess I've often wished the PJ dwarf design didn't look so much like the Star Trek the Next Generation et al. Klingon design. Bumpy foreheads, angular armor, guttural language, deep voices, etc. Although at least PJ's Dwarves have a sense of humor, which no Klingon has or ever will have.)
Passdagas the Brown

True. Though the Klingons are certainly humorous in their over-seriousness.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

On-Set Report from German "Filmstarts" and interview with Martin Freeman...

http://www.filmstarts.de/nachrichten/18489574.html
http://www.filmstarts.de/...ichten/18489569.html

translation/summary provided by Arannir over on TORn...
Mind you, that all these infos are from a period when they were still shooting (during the pick-ups)!

We all know there have been massive changes since then.

There are not that many information - basically all of this we have heard before - but still a way to spend some time in these final hours before the trailer ;)

In the beginning of the report the reporter basically raves about the detail and beauty of the Esgaroth-set and the way it can be re-assembled to create new perspectives and looks.

Martin Freeman comments on how Peter Jackson tries to achieve to show the effect of the battle for the indivdual and says that the filming is very much fragmented as the battle-field is extremely big with different scenes and events happening in different places. He also states that he loved to use the moments in which he was allowed to improvise which is not typical for blockbuster-productions.

He also states that he will indeed kill in Bot5A - but out of pure necessity.

Phillippa Boyens comments on how special the structure of the story is - the death of the dragon not being the climax but the beginning of a final, even bigger act. She also says that the decision to go with three movies had of course also something to do with the fact that it would give PJ the chance to indulge not only in the story but also the action. But she also says that some of the decisions would have been incredibly hard, had they only had two movies: "Are we cutting the entire Spider sequence? The eagles?"

Richard Armitage talks about how much stuff still had to be cut from the finished movies, saying that the EEs could have been 4.5 hours long if they had included all the material.

PJ comments on how TH would probably have been a children's movie had he not done LotR first. Personally, he is glad that he did it this way around and the job of Bot5A is to make this story feel as the natural successor of his LotR trilogy while telling a prequel story.

PJ also underlines that he still believes in HFR and that this technology or similar ones will be the future in one way or the other.

The report ends stating that they won't spoilt the tragic surprises of the last movie... but that even book-lovers should not be too sure to know how it will all play out.
PB on whether they will ever return to Middle-earth: -

"No, with all due respect, but I believe this was it. Orignally, even "The Hobbit" was supposed to be made by GDT and I would still love to see what he would have done with it. This world does not belong to us, nothing from it belongs to us. I would love it to see other creative filmmakers coming to Middle-earth. Besides, I am sure this won't be the last version of "The Lord of the Rings" or "The Hobbit" - others will tell these tales in the future."
Last edited by Elentári on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Thank Elen for this report. Much in this simply WOWED me. The comment about 4.5 hours available for each EE makes my mouth water in hope and anticipation. I would love to see that.

I am soooooo looking forward to this film.... even if it means saying farwell to a very long journey that has been the time of my life.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

These are spoilers for the upcoming trailer (which should be released in the next day or two, I think).
Hidden text.
The first sequences of Saruman The Battle of the Five Armies will be seen in the upcoming main trailer, as reported from the Italian dubbing. ... His line in the trailer according to one of the guys who saw it yesterday: "I'll deal with Sauron." ... TheHutt: This is not an exact quote...
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I should hope it is not an exact quote!

ETA: someone just asked TheHutt
Is the word "deal" used in the accurate quote?
and he has replied
"Not to my knowledge."
:whew:
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

What's the deal with this flaming eye guy?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The trailer will be here on November 6th and not before, according the FB page!

The Tolkien Italia FB page tells us
The worldwide timetable for the online release of the main trailer, starting from 6th November:
- 10 a.m. PT - Los Angeles
- 12 p.m. CST - Chicago, Ciudad de México
- 1 p.m. EST - New York
- 3 p.m. BZT - Brasília
- 6 p.m. UTC - London
- 7 p.m. CET - Roma, Berlin, Paris, Madrid
- 9 p.m. MSK - Москва
They do give us a great new banner, though:

Ginormous version:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2161_o.jpg
~Diana Cortes