The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I don't mind it much either, to be honest.

It's just the execution of the warg-Radagast chase scene that is so abysmal, IMO. As is the concept of the scene itself...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

You have a lot of company in disliking that scene, but I like its randomness.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Sometimes I wish I was you. :)
Passdagas the Brown

Question: In one of those new TV spots, Gandalf tells Thranduil "The dwarves were never meant to reach the mountain."

Why does he say this, when in the film-verse, he had explicitly encouraged both Thorin and his father to do just that? Is he lying to Thranduil?

This got me thinking about other inconsistencies. Watching the DOS EE again the other day made me wonder why Gandalf was so surprised that Thorin and company were being tracked by wargs in AUJ (remember the "Who did you tell??? line), when the DOS prologue makes it clear that Thorin has a price on his head, and that Gandalf knows it.

Lastly, why was the Arkenstone not mentioned as an objective of the quest in AUJ?

Are these inconsistencies primarily the result of late script revisions? I haven't listened to any of the commentaries (as they're not available in the digital download), so I imagine some of these questions may be answered there.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

It's definitely a mystery! Hopefully it will make some sort of sense in context.

Edit: This was in response to the comment/question about Gandalf's comment about the dwarves not being meant to enter Erebor.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I draw the line at crossed-eyed smoking. :P

That is totally a pot-bellied pig. I... don't know how I feel about it. :D I think they should have given him a Mangalitsa or a Duroc.

I thought Gandalf's comment meant that Sauron/Necromancer did not mean for the dwarves to reach Erebor, hence the sending of Azog. :unsure:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote: That is totally a pot-bellied pig.
Yes, but I'm not convinced that it is an accurate representation of what it will actually look like in the film.
Passdagas the Brown

I'd love to see some sample comments about it from "elsewhere," but I can't access their MB. Care to share some? :)
Voronwë the Faithful

"Dain looks awesome, no doubt about it. But that little runt of a "boar" is absolutely PATHETIC! I am surprised the little piglet doesn't break its legs under Dain's weight, that critter is so darn tiny. I expected Dain to come charging in on a massive, tusked BEAST, trampling orcs and tossing them into the wind...NOT on this ridiculous runt of the litter. What is PJ thinking?! Can someone please tell me that this is an early piece of unused concept art and not the real thing... "

"looks like the pig is wearing sunglasess and smiling"

"I was kinda hoping for a big-ass boar with huge tusks. Not what seems to be a pot-bellied pig"

"Why is everyone praising this design? IT LOOKS TERRIBLE! The friggin boar is TINY, smaller than Dain himself, and wholly unintimidating....How in the heck is Dain supposed to trample orcs with that little piglet? Please tell me this is some early prototype of concept art and not the final product... "

"Will save final judgment after I saw it moving.... but in this picture the pig is all kinds of horrible. "

"That pig is a runt, I expect Dain to be riding a massive beast with huge tusks, not an ugly little piglet that looks like its wearing sunglasses... "

Etc.
Passdagas the Brown

Gotta love elsewhere.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It's definitely a mystery! Hopefully it will make some sort of sense in context.

Edit: This was in response to the comment/question about Gandalf's comment about the dwarves not being meant to enter Erebor.
Yup, agree with Frelga....I think Gandalf's words are referring to Sauron's plans...HE meant to stop Thorin via Azog, before he got anywhere near the Lonely Mountain...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

As for the pig-saga....maybe this is the "buffoonery" regarding Dain alluded to in the Frodo-spoilers previously?

Meanwhile, there are scans of three new magazine interviews/article up on the Heirs of Durin website...

SFX Magazine, SciFiNow and FilmInk
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It's definitely a mystery! Hopefully it will make some sort of sense in context.

Yup, agree with Frelga....I think Gandalf's words are referring to Sauron's plans...HE meant to stop Thorin via Azog, before he got anywhere near the Lonely Mountain...
That makes sense.

Have you read those articles at Dark Jackal's site? Anything worthwhile?

ETA: I see that some pretty woman elsewhere said "further confirmation it was the Studio that asked for the Love-triangle, in the FilmInk article...

Lilly says that there was no triangle in Principal Photography, then the suits watched the rough cut and said they were confused about what was happening with the characters (Legolas, Tauriel, Kili) so they realized they (I paraphrase) needed to make the storyline less subtle to come over better... "
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yes, very good interviews with MF, RA and LE in all of them...no real spoilers

One thing that jumps out from the FilmInk article is Lilly explaining more about the Studio's involvement in the "Love-triangle"...

And EMPIRE cover #5 - the Orcs!

~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Latest TV Spot, for those who might not remember Jackson also gave us LotR...

~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The pig looks weak. Not fierce enough and from that angle at least it looks rather smallish. Even the flatulent creature in THE LION KING looked a bit fiercer with his tusks than this does and that character was a complete joke.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:Latest TV Spot, for those who might not remember Jackson also gave us LotR...
That's just plain weird.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

The pig doesn't bother me. It's a bit of an offbeat choice, given how fierce a pig can look. Possibly they didn't want the good guys riding something that looked worse than a warg?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Some images, including the auction. And what is that Balin is writing?

http://bilbo-le-hobbit-facebook.blogspo ... nt-un.html

Also, I don't think it has been posted here that there will be a screening in Wellington at the same time as the London world premier:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/ ... d-premiere

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU1411/S ... rilogy.htm