TH:DoS on Blu-Ray/DVD

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Except last time at least, the digital copies were strictly limited to the feature itself. If you wanted any of the extras, the commentaries, or the EE material, you had to buy a box.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Not so. The TE had all of the bonus material, and the EE had everything other than the commentary.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Hm. For the TE, I bought a box with a code for a digital copy that only got me the feature. For the EE, I bought the digital copy first (from Google) and got nothing but the feature. When I complained, they refunded my money and I used it to buy a box. Which came with a digital code that got me nothing but the feature (but I had the rest in the box).
Voronwë the Faithful

I got the TE from Amazon Instant Video (a week before the official release) and it had all the bonus features (which were only the blogs anyway). I know that PtB got the EE (I think from iTunes, but I could be wrong) and it had everything but the commentary.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Dave_LF wrote:I just want a digital copy that includes all the features without a ton of physical objects that clutter up my house. No doubt they're doing all this special artwork and free toy at the bottom of the box stuff this time around to combat that sort of thing.
Agreed. That's why I'm going digital on everything (except I still buy physical books from time to time).
Voronwë the Faithful

Video showing the Erebor guards bookends:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
Passdagas the Brown

Not as tacky as some of the merchandise. But I'm a dwarf buff.
Voronwë the Faithful

At first I thought those effs were tees. :oops:
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So did I :whistle:

Um, if you're looking for a rank...
Voronwë the Faithful

Here ya go, SV:

Following on from our posts earlier this week, we now have information from official press releases from Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands, Hungary and Germany. Here are the details:

Spain - release date April 8th, available online from April 4th

DVD/Blu-ray set - 20,95€

Collector's Edition (DVD/Blu-ray with a set of postcards - alas, we have no images for ya!) - 24,95€

3D Blu-ray (includes both 3D AND 2D Blu-ray) -  29,95€

(Interestingly, no version which is JUST a DVD is mentioned in the Spanish press release.)

Belgium - release date April 16th

Press release says there will be a DVD, a Blu-ray and a 3D Blu-ray, as well as video on demand. No mention of any Collector's Edition or combo packs; no prices given.

The Netherlands - release date April 16th

Press release mentions Limited Collector's Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack (with the Noble Collection Dwarven bookends), Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and Standard Definition DVD, as well as video on demand. No prices given.

Hungary - release date April 8th

Press release mentions Limited Collector's Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack (presumably with the Dwarven bookends, but the press release doesn't specify), Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and 2-Disc Standard Definition DVD. No prices given.

Germany - release date April 11th

Press release mentions Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD and DIGITAL versions.

There will be a very limited Steelbook edition, with magnetic (removable) lenticular cover and the Dwarven bookends, only available from Amazon. Press release doesn't mention a price, but Ringer spy TheHutt tells us it was 119 EUR and has already sold out in preorder!

Amazon.de also has an exclusive 2D-only version of the BluRay steelbook; spies tell us price is 28.99 EUR.

Finally, from retailer MediaMarkt and Saturn there is a Steelbook with removable, magnetic lenticular cover, containing both 2D and 3D Blu-ray (apparently retailing for 36 EUR), and from Electronic Partner/Media Max German fans will be able to buy the Blu-ray set with the LEGO Legolas (no word on pricing).
Passdagas the Brown

There's Bilbo!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, that is why I said "Here ya go, SV" (since he had previously said "But I want a Bilbo cover! Where indeed is THE HOBBIT?")
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

HUZZAH! :w00t: Finally THE HOBBIT! ;)
And that's a good one, I like it much more than the Bilbo close-up for AUJ.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

DOS Digital release - 25th March!

https://apps.warnerbros.com/thehobbit/retailer_tab/
Voronwë the Faithful

Wow, that's even earlier (in relation to the BluRay/DVD release date) than last year, I think.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug Blu-ray set comes with free Hobbit Lego

Sainsbury's UK supermarket chain has announced it will offer a Blu-ray version of The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug alongside an exclusive Hobbit-themed Lego set, available from April 7th.

The exclusive minifigure set features Legolas...and what appears to be the "windlance!" :?

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Warner Brothers clarifies ‘Desolation of Smaug’ Bonus Feature confusion
With the release this past Tuesday of the Blu-ray and DVD Editions of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, there was a bit of confusion concerning several video advertisements and the bonus material on the discs.

The videos embedded below – “Beorn the Shapeshifter” and “Laketown – Entering the World of Men”, as well as a “Giant Mirkwood Spiders” video on the L.A. Times website – contained snippets of behind the scenes video and interviews that many could not find on the discs.

Warner Brothers has now informed us that these are promotional pieces created to promote the release, and do not include material from the discs themselves.

The Bonus disc on both the Blu-ray and DVD releases do, however, contain the following content:

- Peter Jackson Invites You to the Set (In the Company of The Hobbit & All in a Day’s Work) ~ 41 minutes
- Production Videos ~ 37 minutes
- Live Event: In the Cutting Room ~ 38 minutes
- New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth, Part 2 ~ 7 minutes
- Trailers & Previews ~ 12 minutes
- Music Video “I See Fire” by Ed Sheeran ~ 6 minutes
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes