TH:DoS on Blu-Ray/DVD

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

But wasn't there a trailer much earlier?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Not that much earlier: June 11.

However, what there was that was earlier than that (in late March) was the sneak peak that some people who preordered the Blu-Ray were able to watch with a code, and which was subsequently available online.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Yeah, but I need all of that right now.
Voronwë the Faithful

From TORN:

Thanks to Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, we can now bring you all the official information about when you will be able to take home The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. These are the release dates worldwide:

UK - APRIL 7

USA - APRIL 8

SPAIN - APRIL 8

MEXICO - APRIL 8

CANADA - APRIL 8

ITALY - APRIL 9

GERMANY - APRIL 11

FRANCE - APRIL 16

NETHERLANDSÂ APRIL 16

BELGIUM - APRIL 16

AUSTRALIA - APRIL 16

BRAZIL - APRIL 17

As ever, there are various options to choose from in your quest to own the Precious. Here's what the WB press release tells us will be available in the US:
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will be available on Limited Collector's Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack for $105.43, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack for $44.95, on Blu-ray Combo Pack for $35.99 and on 2-disc DVD Special Edition for $28.98. The Limited Collector's Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack includes two Gates of Erebor replica bookends from the Noble Collection and features the theatrical version of the film in 3D hi-definition, hi-definition and standard definition; only 25,000 will be available in the U.S. The Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in 3D hi-definition, hi-definition and standard definition; the Blu-ray Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in hi-definition on Blu-ray; and the DVD features the theatrical version in standard definition. All versions include a digital version of the movie on Digital HD with UltraViolet.* Fans can also own The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in Digital HD on April 8th via purchase from digital retailers."

And what exactly will be on these DVDs and Blu-rays? Read on - more from the press release:

"BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Limited Collector's Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and 2-Disc Standard Definition DVD Special Edition contain the following special features:

•Peter Jackson Invites You to the Set: In the Company of the Hobbit and Peter Jackson Invites You to the Set: All in a Day's Work. Experience the film's challenges and demands, and journey alongside the director into Mirkwood, Lake-town and Dale as the movie's most intense, pivotal scenes are created

•Production Videos: Watch production come to life as Peter Jackson gives you an inside look at the making of the film

•New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth, Part 2: Travel with Peter Jackson and his team across the stunning locations of New Zealand transformed by the filmmakers into Middle-earth

•"I See Fire"
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

No release date for here? :scratch:
Though I can guess it should be April 7, as the timing here usually coincides with the US.
Thanks Vee.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Seems we get it first for once...even if it's only a day.

Even if WB deign to actually make the LCE available in the UK this time I shan't be bothering. Will wait and see what the EE deal will be.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

It appears that they are doing this gift set LCE instead of the sneak peek that they did last year as incentive to buy the TE. Grrrrr.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Grrr indeed!

Still, this is quite a cool 'motion poster' for DoS:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/02/18/h ... exclusive/
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The EE in the fall should have a different statute with it. So this is sort of a double bonus since the theatrical release last year did not have any such statue to go with it.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yes, except all my other statues are Weta. I'm not really a fan of the Noble collection. They always felt like cheap knockoffs of the Weta versions to me.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

The best case scenario would be another WETA statue with the EE. But I don't think we can assume that at this point.

For all we know, that could be a harbinger of there not even being any EE at all. Or if there is, that it is low quality, in terms of packaging (including or not including a gift item), or even in the quality (or quantity) of the additions to the film and/or the extras.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Alatar wrote:Yes, except all my other statues are Weta. I'm not really a fan of the Noble collection. They always felt like cheap knockoffs of the Weta versions to me.

Hardly a cheap knock-off at $105.99 compared to the previous Weta gift sets! I know what you mean, though, Al, Weta's quality is always superb, but saying that, I do a have Noble Collection statue of Arwen & Aragorn which is truly lovely, and very good facial likenesses...

I think there's little doubt there will be an EE for DoS, since PJ has mentioned scenes being added back in, but I agree it is a real worry that there won't be a LCE version.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

More info from TORN:

Continuing on from our post earlier today about the Home Video release of the Theatrical Edition of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, here's some further information we've gathered about different versions which will be available around the world.

In the UK, where the release happens on April 7th (one day earlier than anywhere else!) it looks like there will be the same editions available as will be in the US - namely Blu-ray 3D combo pack (£16.99), Blu-ray combo pack (£12.99) and DVD (£9.99). It seems there will also be a Collector's Edition in the UK - most likely those same Noble Collection Dwarven bookends - but we don't have exact details on that yet.

In Mexico, where the release date is April 8th, there are some very cool editions. The official press releases says that there will be the Limited Edition Collector's version (with the Dwarven bookends), but also a Special Edition 'Steelbook' Blu-ray and a pretty sweet 'Lego Legolas' (is there an echo in here?) Blu-ray boxset:

We'll bring you more info as and when we have it, about the various editions which will be out there all over the world.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Given a choice between the bookends and the Lego set I know which my kids would go for... ;)
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Wow. That Legolas and Tauriel cover design is god awful.
Voronwë the Faithful

But the Gandalf one is excellent.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

But I want a Bilbo cover! Where indeed is THE HOBBIT?
If not atleast gimme a Smaug-cover. :poke:
Passdagas the Brown

Really odd that Smaug doesn't grace any of these covers.

Perhaps marketing research has shown that scary dragons don't attract customers, while attractive ninja elves do?

I'd like to be a fly in the wall for the focus group for that one...
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I just want a digital copy that includes all the features without a ton of physical objects that clutter up my house. No doubt they're doing all this special artwork and free toy at the bottom of the box stuff this time around to combat that sort of thing.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, but they are making digital copies available, so you (and I) can get your wish.

Maybe they are saving Smaug for the cover of the EE. If there is one.