TH:DoS on Blu-Ray/DVD

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

TH:DoS on Blu-Ray/DVD

Post by Elentári »

TheHutt on TORn has found details of an TH DOS: exclusive 3D BluRay Steelbook on MediaMarkt

This is also likely to be the official look of the 3D version of the Hobbit (AUJ shared the same motif between the MM steelbook and the standard 3D version in lenticular slipcase).
Also, as far as I know, this is the first real cover image for DOS (until now, all cover images were temporary).
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Also, a reminder that Amazon.de are apparently offering an LE Amazon exclusive 3D Steelbook with Guards of Erebor Statue bookends but it remains to be seenwhether this is really the TE or in fact the EE, since the release date appears to be 31 Dec 2014. My thoughts are that ths is simply a place holder for the EE box set...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Now we have a picture of that box-set, courtesy of TheHutt once more:

Sweet!
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It also appears to be the TE, not the EE.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

So TheHutt says, but I still don't believe it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:So TheHutt says, but I still don't believe it.
Not at 119 Euros! (£97/US$160) I've asked him for a link to the details...
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You can tell from the artwork. Its the Theatrical Cut.
Voronwë the Faithful

Artwork has a way of changing. I'll believe it when I see it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Care to lay a wager? ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Not really. I don't care that much. But I'll still believe it when I see it. :)
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

The EE won't be out until this fall, so it is more likely to be the TE, non?
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, the release date for this is still listed as 12/31/14, so not necessarily.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Oh, I missed that...

Have there been collector's editions of the TE in the past?
Voronwë the Faithful

No, never. Doesn't mean that they can't start now, though it seems strange to me.

Al, why are you so sure that it is the TE? Just because of the artwork, or for some other reason?
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Elentári wrote:Now we have a picture of that box-set, courtesy of TheHutt once more:

Sweet!
I would have said this was awesome, but it feels like the cover of a video-game more than a movie. ;) :P
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Re: TH:DoS on Blu-Ray/DVD

Post by Smaug's voice »

Elentári wrote:TheHutt on TORn has found details of an TH DOS: exclusive 3D BluRay Steelbook on MediaMarkt

This is also likely to be the official look of the 3D version of the Hobbit (AUJ shared the same motif between the MM steelbook and the standard 3D version in lenticular slipcase).
Also, as far as I know, this is the first real cover image for DOS (until now, all cover images were temporary).
This is bad. If they are gonna make close-ups as DVD-covers, it should be of "the hobbit".
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:No, never. Doesn't mean that they can't start now, though it seems strange to me.

Al, why are you so sure that it is the TE? Just because of the artwork, or for some other reason?
I'm guessing because it's because the actual Blu-Ray case in that picture is not in a special slip-case (purple for DoS?) like the AUJ EE was...
~Diana Cortes
kzer_za

Re: TH:DoS on Blu-Ray/DVD

Post by kzer_za »

Smaug's voice wrote:
Elentári wrote:TheHutt on TORn has found details of an TH DOS: exclusive 3D BluRay Steelbook on MediaMarkt

This is bad. If they are gonna make close-ups as DVD-covers, it should be of "the hobbit".
Or of Smaug. Or both!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I want the Chinese poster!!

(and frankly, it'll sell more than DVD-pack with Thorin on cover! ;) )
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Elentári wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:No, never. Doesn't mean that they can't start now, though it seems strange to me.

I'm guessing because it's because the actual Blu-Ray case in that picture is not in a special slip-case (purple for DoS?) like the AUJ EE was...
This. Also, the "Extended Edition" always features on both the cover and the spine, under the title.