TH:DoS on Blu-Ray/DVD

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

DoS Blu-Ray/DVD release date is April 11th for Germany!

http://www.areadvd.de/news/der-hobbit-s ... -disc-dvd/
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Was it the same day in the UK and US as in Germany for AUJ?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

No, US was a few weeks earlier - remember the "Sneak Peek" incentive? You guys got the BR/DVD on the 19th March, and the UK had to wait until the 8th April. I believe Germany was another week after that.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Wesa so lucky!

(I have no idea why I felt compelled to write that like Jar Jar was saying it :scratch: )
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Obviously because PJ has done a George Lucas on The Hobbit and your inner purist is screaming silently at your subconscious!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm glad we got to the bottom of that so quickly!
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I wonder how many midichlorians Legolas has...
eborr

Post by eborr »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I wonder how many midichlorians Legolas has...
que Ewoks in Mirkwood
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Voronwë the Faithful

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Not really. I don't care that much. But I'll still believe it when I see it. :)
I'm a step closer to believing it. BluRay.com now has it listed with a release date of April 8, 2014:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hobbi ... ray/96703/
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'm still confused, V...how can this collector's edition be the TE if it comes with 5 discs? The AUJ EE had a choice of 3 or 5 disc, the TE BRs only had 4 - if you got the 3D + 2D version...

ETA In this larger photo I can see it definitely is the TE...but it smacks of money-grabbing, IMO. Obviously WB realized a lot of fans are holding out for the EE and therefore they might be losing sales of the TE... Well I can't afford both! :(

Raises the question of whether they are going to offer a collector's edition of the EE - and what it might be - Smaug statue?? If that is the case what will they have left to offer for TABA?
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Blu-ray/DVD Extras Revealed + Collector's Gift Set Details revealed on Blu-ray.com:
THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG LIVE EVENT: IN THE CUTTING ROOM [37m 49s]
NEW ZEALAND: HOME OF MIDDLE EARTH PART 2
MUSIC VIDEO: ED SHEERAN - I SEE FIRE
PETER JACKSON INVITES YOU TO THE SET
PETER JACKSON INVITES YOU TO THE SET: ALL IN A DAY'S WORK
PRODUCTION VIDEOS:
11: INTRODUCTION TO PICK UPS SHOOTING [8m 41s]
12: RECAP OF PICK-UPS PART 1 [7m 58s]
13: RECAP OF PICK-UPS PART 2 [8m 22s]
14: MUSIC SCORING [9m 59s]

Also:

Limited Edition Collector’s Gift Set Includes:
Two Gates of Erebor Guards premium bookends exclusively created by The Noble Collection (not available to purchase elsewhere)
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack with Depth Lenticular Packaging
Each package individually numbered as part of limited 25K production run.
Info provided by Shagrat on TORn, although no link given...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm still not understanding how it comes to 5 discs? :scratch:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Apparently the 3D film would be on 2 discs, the 2D on one, the extras on another and the fifth disc would be the DVD. I was confused initially because we didn't get a package that included the DVD & BRs in the UK.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Ah, the DVD. Which means that I could in theory purchase this and be able to watch the movie with upgrading to BluRay, and get the bookends. Very clever.

Still won't do it, but someone else might. Hopefully there will be a gift set for the EE, and they will do the same.
Passdagas the Brown

I've gone 100% digital. Will not be purchasing physical blu-rays or DVDs ever again.
Voronwë the Faithful

I wonder if they will fix the lack of commentary on the digital release of the EE, for DoS. While I did not find it extraordinarily valuable on AUJ (certainly compared to the appendices), I definitely thought it was worth listening to.

I will likely do the same as I did with AUJ, and get the digital download of the TE, and by the DVD of the EE.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'm definitely holding out for the EE...and praying there will be a gift set with it!

Interesting to note that the bookends are from the Noble Collection this time, not Weta....
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

The first few months of the year truly are the most boring times for hobbit fandom.

PJ - we need a vlog. Now!
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:The first few months of the year truly are the most boring times for hobbit fandom.
I second that! I am boored! Hey Peej, :poke: send something for us.
Voronwë the Faithful

Sorry, but last year the first production video didn't come until July, so you probably have a ways to wait.