Galadriel: telepathy or memory?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
jotnar

Post by jotnar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:But there is also this:
`Many things I can command the Mirror to reveal,' she answered, `and to some I can show what they desire to see
So I really don't think that it is a stretch to suppose that she could see what is going on in Ithilien by commanding the Mirror to reveal what is happening with Frodo.
Hmmm...

I nearly left it at that. :D

I feel I must lay my cards on the table here. I don't see Elven magic in anything but the most subtle of fashions. Even the Mirror of Galadriel.

As a scrying device, it seems most limited, showing what was, what is, and what might be. But all for those directly involved, those who are directly engaged with the mirror.

I seem to be in a minority when gauging "Elven" magic. I think it is subtle, almost unnoticed, exemplified by the puzzled response to Sam when he refers to it.

I also think that there is too much read literally into Tolkien's words. As I have said elsewhere, to speak of Balrog wings does not mean Balrog's had wings (and that they have not is definitively shown through the transition of simile to metaphor... :P ), and neither is the reading of thought as a "written book" confirmed by the words spoken by Galadriel.

"I say to you, George, even as we sit here chewing the cud, that I know Bill, and I know how he thinks, and even more, I know how he thinks about me and my family. But whereas I can read his behaviour, he has no clue about me and my family, because we keep that close to ourselves."

And then she looks at George, and George can see the wisdom in her, and knows she sees right through his pretenses, and knows him. And he feels shame for thinking he can hide his true thoughts from her...

Does this make George telepathic? Does this mean that George and his company are actually chewing regurgitated grass (the cud)? I think not.

To my mind, metaphor is far more prevalent in Tolkien's writing than is given credit. In the films?

Wow! Is that really the time? :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I agree that Tolkien was very good at dealing in metaphor, and I too have always been in the "the Balrog did not literally have wings" camp (although I'm not sure that I have ever said so publicly before, as I have always avoided the Balrog had wings discussions with a ten foot pole. However, I do take Galadriel at her word when she says that there is many things that she can command the mirror to show.

Regarding Elven magic, you may be interested in this discussion of Tolkien's comments on the subject in his letter to Naomi Mitchison on the subject.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."