Bofur and Pigs and Frodo and Sam, etc.

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Bofur and Pigs and Frodo and Sam, etc.

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I missed this little inside joke in DoS...

"Pigs?!" Bofur says, with some worry (and remembrance) in his voice.

Didn't get it until I saw "Waking Ned Devine," where Jimmy Nesbitt plays a pig farmer named "Pig Finn." The woman he's wooing won't marry him until he...gets rid of the pigs (namely because he always smells like them). Which he does, in the end.

Hopefully the commentaries (or Nesbitt himself) will confirm that this was intentional. I can't imagine that it wasn't!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm sure it was intentional. Just as Sean Bean's "still Sharp" when Boromir pricked himself with the shard of Narsil was intentional.

However, Sam's "By rights, we shouldn't even be here" at Osgiliath probably was not intentional. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Or Bilbo's "I do believe the worst is behind us." ;)
Gorthaur the Cruel

Post by Gorthaur the Cruel »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:However, Sam's "By rights, we shouldn't even be here" at Osgiliath probably was not intentional. ;)
Well that's ruined it for me. :(
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Gorthaur the Cruel wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:However, Sam's "By rights, we shouldn't even be here" at Osgiliath probably was not intentional. ;)
Even if that line was intentional, it still couldn't redeem Sam's Osgiliath Speech for me. :blackeye:

Book Sam has such awesome moments. All of them far surpass Movie Sam's mawkish, 'hey here I go stealing the limelight from Frodo yet again' Osgiliating speech.

Whenever I and certain friends of mine had occasion to watch TTT (I'm talking about home viewings), we would shout in unison during that sequence, "Shut up, Sam!"

It was very cathartic. :D

There's a lot in the films I love :) but that is one of the things on the 'fetch me a sick bucket' list. :P
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, I was in London at the weekend seeing some shows, and guess who I met in the Two Brewers pub? Only Samwise Gamgee from the LotR Musical!

Lovely guy, and much more the Samwise I loved from the book than Sean Astin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSH8b33wZcw
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Very cool, Al!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Or the Great Goblin's:
"Abominations, mutations, deviations. That's all you're gonna find down here!"
Passdagas the Brown

Pearly Di wrote:
Gorthaur the Cruel wrote:
Even if that line was intentional, it still couldn't redeem Sam's Osgiliath Speech for me. :blackeye:

Book Sam has such awesome moments. All of them far surpass Movie Sam's mawkish, 'hey here I go stealing the limelight from Frodo yet again' Osgiliating speech.

Whenever I and certain friends of mine had occasion to watch TTT (I'm talking about home viewings), we would shout in unison during that sequence, "Shut up, Sam!"

It was very cathartic. :D

There's a lot in the films I love :) but that is one of the things on the 'fetch me a sick bucket' list. :P
And frankly, that's what I think the Hobbit series generally avoids. That need to wrap things up with mawkish sentimentality and overwrought speechifying.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I can definitely understand why people don't like Sam's speech, but somehow it works for me.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm sure it was intentional. Just as Sean Bean's "still Sharp" when Boromir pricked himself with the shard of Narsil was intentional.
Okay, that one went right by me! (Probably because I've never watched the series.)
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

I've never seen it either, and never heard of it before the LOTR films.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

kzer_za wrote:I
can definitely understand why people don't like Sam's speech, but
somehow it works for me.
And for me too.
In a way it makes TTT as a standalone film in itself. Abd I find nothing "off" about it.
I know I am in the minority here (probably of one) but I find Astin's performance excellent with a few exceptions. (he's my second most favorite hobbit from the films after you-can-guess-who)
Atleast for me, the scene doesn't feel forced. Neither the speech. Perhaps the only odd thing for me was Faramir's sudden decision change.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Smaug's voice wrote: Perhaps the only odd thing for me was Faramir's sudden decision change.
This might get me crucified but - if it wasn't for Faramir's odd, illogical change of heart, I would say that I love every single bit of the Osgilliath storyline. IMO it's damn brilliant and the whole sequence is amongst my favorites in all the movies. Asides from that final Faramir bit.

*...prepares fireproof suit...*
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

It's really a bad deviation from the book, I think.

But as a film, it is really a great section. Particularly because of the conceptualization of Osgilliath and the color-grading. :)
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

This might get me crucified but - if it wasn't for Faramir's odd, illogical change of heart, I would say that I love every single bit of the Osgilliath storyline. IMO it's damn brilliant and the whole sequence is amongst my favorites in all the movies. Asides from that final Faramir bit.

You're not alone, yovargas - I've always liked Ogiliath too, which made me pretty unpopular on one forum when the movie came out! The Nazgûl in front of Frodo is one of the most powerful and evocative scenes in the trilogy. Amazing visuals and audio there (I think even PtB has said he likes at least that little bit).

People sometimes say Frodo is "offering the ring", but it's pretty clear that's not really what's going on even if the end result would be the Nazgûl grabbing it - he's overwhelmingly tempted to use it, which is in fact what happens when he's around the Nazgûl in the book! Though PJ probably didn't need to do it quite so many times.

The scene as a whole is also an effective way to help transition from Saruman to Sauron as the villain and sets up Osgiliath in particular for its fall. And it provides a solid climax to Frodo and Sam's story that the book really didn't have without moving Shelob up, which would have done all sorts of crazy things with the chronology.

Of course, this does come at somewhat of a cost to Faramir's character...but the extended scenes (not only Sons of the Steward, but some key parts in RotK EE too) help him a lot. I'm still not fond of the brutality his men show to Gollum though. My father has never read the books and thinks Faramir's pretty noble and admirable, for what it's worth.
Last edited by kzer_za on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Incidentally, my mother too thinks he is the most gentle one among the protagonists. She hasn't read the book yet.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I loved the Osgiliath part, too. In the depths of my depression, it resonated perfectly. Not sure I could put it into words, but it just felt right for me in that state of mind.

I still like it now, but in a much more detached way.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

yovargas wrote:
Smaug's voice wrote: Perhaps the only odd thing for me was Faramir's sudden decision change.

I've always liked it, too.

:thumbsup:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

We're supposed to be talking about pigs here, folks. Stop Osgiliating the thread! :)