Balin, the Little Gandalf

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Balin, the Little Gandalf

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

One interesting aspect of DOS that I believe improved the film was Balin's role as information depository, negotiator and counselor to Bilbo. In other words, he essentially took over where Gandalf left off (though he did display some of these qualities in AUJ as well, he does more of it, and in a more prominent way, in DoS after Gandalf leaves). This had two main benefits: 1) giving Gandalf a break; and 2) Letting Balin shine - which he does, due to Ken Stott's extraordinary acting.

Though I am sure to miss a few details, here's where I saw Balin essentially filling Gandalf's shoes (note that all quotes are paraphrased from memory):

1. Information dspository: "These are no orc dungeons. They are the prison's of the elves of Mirkwood, and noone leaves them without the Envenking's consent."

2. Negotiator: "Did you make a deal?....No....A deal was our only hope..."

3. Negotiator: Haggling with Bard over gaining access to the barge, entry into Laketown, and acquiring weapons and supplies

4. Information depository: Narrating the backstory of Girion and the dwarvish wind-lance

5. Information depository: "The Desolation of Smaug!"

6. Information depository: "You cannot open it by force! There are strong spells on that doorway!"

7. Information depository: "You have lost the light."

8. Information depository: To Bilbo: "The Arkenstone."

9. Counselor to Bilbo: "You don't have to do it...there's no shame in turning back...

10. Counselor to Bilbo: "It never ceases to amaze me...the courage of hobbits."

11. Counselor to Bilbo: "Oh, and if there is, in fact, a live dragon down there...don't waken it."

12. Information depository: "That, my lad. Was a dragon. Duh!"

I know that's not a lot, and the lines are generally consistent with Balin's character. But...he's quite the little Gandalf, isn't he?
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The question is, once they make friends with the elves in part 3, will Legolas take over the role? :D
Passdagas the Brown

Legolas to Bilbo: Do not be too quick to deal out death in judgement, for not even the very wise could have foreseen the resurrection of Smaug by the Necromancer.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

A few from AUJ:

Narrates the Moria flashback (and even an exchange of glances with Gandalf when Thorin talks about Azog being dead.)

The "swords are named" sequence in Rivendell.

Balin welcoming Bilbo to the company with a wink. Pure Gandalf-y. :D

Balin explaining the terms and conditions to Bilbo.

Balin talking about a life of peace and plenty, of value above all the gold in Erebor.
Passdagas the Brown

He truly is a mini Maia.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

There's a nice little bit of parallel dialogue between Balin and Bilbo.

Dwalin: *Some grumbling about "the bargeman."*
Bilbo: Bard. His name's Bard.

Thorin: I won't risk our lives for a burglar.
Balin: Bilbo. His name is Bilbo.
Passdagas the Brown

Balin comes closest to being a hobbit himself, really!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:He truly is a mini Maia.
I see what you did there. :D

I LOVED Balin in this movie. PJ made him a much more robust character than I remember from the book, although the foundation of him as counselor was certainly there.

I think I'm a bit of a Balin fangirl, actually.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

I'm with you, anthy! And I feel it's a bit more of a respectable fan club than Leggy's. :)

Balin (and Ken Stott, the actor who plays him) is my favorite character, and actor (respectively) across all five films.

Reminds me of my grandma, actually. Just want to give him a big hug! :hug:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I would say it would make the scene in FOTR more moving, but I wish that it was done with the subtly that Jackson showed in this film.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Right - Gimli's frantic crying in Mazarbul didn't do much for me, and that 's doubly a shame in light of how wonderful Balin has been in these films. Tolkien's description of Gimli casting his hood over his head was much better.

Almost makes you want PJ to go back and reshoot it!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I'm with you, anthy! And I feel it's a bit more of a respectable fan club than Leggy's. :)
Yep. And it's just like me to fall for the dwarf who was not prettied up for de Fans. Always a rebel, that's me. :P

Balin (and Ken Stott, the actor who plays him) is my favorite character, and actor (respectively) across all five films.
He is quite perfect. :)
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Movie Balin is wonderful. :)

Don't go to Moria, Balin! :cry:

Or you, Ori. :(
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I'm watching the appendix material in the AUJ EE right now - where they are discussing what distinguishes each of the dwarves. Ken Stott says of his character, "Balin is the concierge, he's the adviser." PJ says "You're sort of telling it as it is, you're the voice of Wisdom." Sounds like he got that right :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Passdagas the Brown

narya wrote:I'm watching the appendix material in the AUJ EE right now - where they are discussing what distinguishes each of the dwarves. Ken Stott says of his character, "Balin is the concierge, he's the adviser." PJ says "You're sort of telling it as it is, you're the voice of Wisdom." Sounds like he got that right :D
I enjoyed that bit. Though Stott says "consigliere" (advisor) not "consierge."

Which is appropriate, given Stott's Italian background (on his mother's side, I believe).
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:
narya wrote:I'm watching the appendix material in the AUJ EE right now - where they are discussing what distinguishes each of the dwarves. Ken Stott says of his character, "Balin is the concierge, he's the adviser." PJ says "You're sort of telling it as it is, you're the voice of Wisdom." Sounds like he got that right :D
I enjoyed that bit. Though Stott says "consigliere" (advisor) not "consierge."

Which is appropriate, given Stott's Italian background (on his mother's side, I believe).
That's funny--I don't have the EE, but I thought "consigliere" when I read "concierge." Then I imagined Robert Duvall as Balin. :D