Tolkien biopic planned

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Tolkien biopic?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the movies forum, but I'll leave it here at least for now.

This is very interesting:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... z2lKE1cqRX
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Oh, I hope, hope, hope this turns out well. If so, it could revive critical interest in Tolkien even moreso than the LOTR and Hobbit films.
Voronwë the Faithful

Could be very good.

Or very bad.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

This one could go either way. Though my guess is that whatever happens, they will almost certainly play up the influence of WWI on Tolkien's work. It will likely not pass Tolkien's "anti-allegory" test, but it may strengthen Shippey's case for Tolkien as a 20th century author, which could blunt the criticisms of literary critics who contend that he was (and is) irrelevant to the human condition.

But if the filmmakers botch it, the effect could be the opposite.

Wonder what the Tolkien Estate thinks...
Voronwë the Faithful

I wonder if they would bring someone like John Garth in as a consultant.
Passdagas the Brown

Know anything about the scriptwriter, David Gleeson?

He's described as a "Tolkien superfan..."
Voronwë the Faithful

And a "scholar of sorts about the Middle-earth creator." That does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. (But no, I don't know anything about him.) All I can find from googling is that he is a third generation Irish filmmaker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gleeson
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote: Wonder what the Tolkien Estate thinks...
I cannot say for sure. But I am a member of the Tolkien Society Open group on facebook where this was brought to attention about a month ago.

Most of them are very interested but are also skeptical at the same time, fearing they would "hollywood-ize" the details about Tolkien's life adding things completely unassociated to Tolkien.

It's too early to say anything, but if this turns out good it'd be pretty awesome.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm a little worried about a Tolkien "scholar" that none of you guys have ever heard of.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I brought it up on the Mythopoeic Society mail list, and the reaction so far has been uniformly negative. But I take that with somewhat of a grain of salt, as most of those people make PtB seem like a raging PJ fanboy.
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Unless they end the movie shortly after his return to England after WWI, it's not going to be interesting to a general audience. Even his biographers (and Shippey) admit there're no more exciting events in his life afterwards, only work, family and writing.

I think a miniseries about Tolkien (and perhaps other Inklings) with emphasis on creative process could be more interesting, if somewhat niche.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Tolkien biopic planned

Post by Dave_LF »

[note: this was the first post in the new thread that was combined with the original thread in the other forum, which is why Dave doesn't sound like he knows about the previous posts - VtF]

Sounds like Fox Searchlight is planning to make a film about the life of JRR Tolkien:
http://www.cbc.ca/books/2013/11/new-tol ... works.html
The script is being written by Irish screenwriter and director David Gleeson, whose credits include Cowboys & Angels and The Front Line. Gleeson, described by the Los Angeles Times as a "Tolkien superfan and scholar of sorts about the Middle-Earth creator," is expected to produce a script that particularly focuses on Tolkien's experiences in the First World War and his subsequent years teaching at Pembroke College, during which time he wrote The Hobbit and much of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
That's about all the information that's available for now. The road does go ever on!
Voronwë the Faithful

There is already a thread about this (from a couple of weeks ago) in the Shibboleth forum (although I debated which forum to put it in).

viewtopic.php?t=3489

Maybe I'll try to combine them and move it in here.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I knew it! I seemed pretty strange I hadn't seen anything about it here yet. Obviously I've been monitoring this forum more closely than that one.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I wonder if they will use the devise in the film of bringing to life on the screen what JRRT is writing or describing so that we get kind of a miniature Middle-earth tour as the film develops? This would greatly add to the film - not to mention make studio executives very happy as we would get to see characters, setting and events on the screen from potentially all the books. Imagine seeing scenes and events from the SILMARALLION!!!!!!
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

That would be impossible unless the Estate sold the rights to The Silmarillion. Which of course is not going to happen.
Passdagas the Brown

Question, though. If the Silmarillion is referenced in the various Tolkien biographies that have been published (such as Carpenter's) can a filmmaker extrapolate scenes from those references?
Voronwë the Faithful

Not being an Intellectual Property attorney at all, that is probably getting beyond the scope of what I can answer, but I would doubt it. It is an interesting question. For an authorized biography like Carpenter's, there would be one set of issues, and for an unauthorized biography there would be a different set of issues.

For the proposed film, the biography that I would really like to see them use (and hire the author as a consultant) is John Garth's Tolkien and the Great War. With that book, the question would then be regarding the early versions of the mythology. Wow, that could be good.

But I still doubt it.
Voronwë the Faithful

I managed to combine the thread in the Shibboleth with this thread
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The only way I can see this being a viable film is if they dramatize some of the things he is actually writing. Perhaps weave the Beren & Lúthien story in with their own marriage and life or something along those lines. Show him writing the Gondolin siege and flashes of his experience in the Great War... that sort of thing.

I suspect a producer with an eye on box office would want that.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers