Tolkien biopic planned

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Question, though. If the Silmarillion is referenced in the various Tolkien biographies that have been published (such as Carpenter's) can a filmmaker extrapolate scenes from those references?
Not only am I NOT an attorney of intellectual property as V admits - but I am not even an attorney at all. having said that, I would think one could make a case for doing just what you suggest as part of the film of his life being that he is writing these things and his writing is part of the rights - and that would include showing - via what he sees in his mind - what he is writing.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Characters cannot be copyrighted, with *extremely* limited exceptions for those that edge more into trademarks. Accounts of scenes, as opposed to the scenes themselves, are not covered by copyright either. The same goes for place names...there's quite a bit of wiggle room available for an inventive screenwriter.