TH: DOS Box Office Watch

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Close, $893,744,000. $32.7 million opening weekend in China.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Early indications are that the increase in China box office will hold. Monday estimated total is 26 million yuan, compared to 15.6 million for the first Monday for AUJ. Total so far is 227 million compared to 131 million for AUJ. If that holds it would result in a total box office of just under $100 million ($99,900,000 to be exact). If Japan made a similar increase, it would be very, very close to one billion.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Ohhh, this is really exciting! :D
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I see where they are going to rerelease the latest ANCHORMAN movie with additional footage to the theaters in limited release. I wonder how SMAUG would do if they did the same with it or had a five minute teaser after the showing?

Perhaps that would be enough to get it over the billion dollar mark ---- IF that is a barrier they want to break.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

Another $25 million for Tuesday, bringing the total to $250 million yuan, or $40.3 million. Not sure how the Tuesday number compares to AUJ, but it sounds pretty good, as I would think Tuesday would be a slow day, and yet it is only down 1 million from Monday.

SF, I also wondered whether they would try to do something like that in order to get it over the top. I'm not sure whether the studio even cares if it is $1 billion instead of $990 million or something like that, but it is a status number (Frozen is poised to pass $1 billion, as it is currently at $980 million and doesn't open in Japan until next month).
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

950 looks easy if this continues.
I won't get my hopes as high as 0.99 billion though.
Voronwë the Faithful

Wednesday, 22.4 million. AUJ was 14M.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thursday estimate, 19M versus 13M for AUJ.

Tomorrow will be a pretty good indication of how the legs might be, since it is the second Friday. And, of course, Japan will open too, and we might get an idea as to whether it also has a big increase.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

It's already Friday in Japan (though very early morning) so DOS will be releasing there in a few hours only.
Voronwë the Faithful

But, just as with China, there won't likely be any estimates until tomorrow morning my time.

One thing that will make significant increases in the dollar amount for the Japan box office over AUJ more difficult is the fact that the yen is about 20% higher in value against the dollar, meaning that the box office would actually need to be 20% higher than that of AUJ just to equal the dollar amount. Bummer.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Wouldn't the exchange rate work the other way around?
Voronwë the Faithful

I had it backwards. It is the dollar whose value is 20% higher than the yen. Sorry about that!

sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I had it backwards. It is the dollar whose value is 20% higher than the yen. Sorry about that!

I like it when things work out like that.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

No, it's bad, not good. It will take more yen to make the same number of dollars.
Voronwë the Faithful

Early estimates for today's box office from China are very low. If they hold, it looks like the legs won't be good, and the total will be more like $75 million.

Edit: And early reports from Japan are even worse.
Voronwë the Faithful

China estimate 19M, the same as yesterday. Last year AUJ did the same thing (second Friday equaled first Thursday, but at 13M). Some sources are saying as low as 17M though, so we'll see.

No estimates for Japan yet that I have seen.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

An update from NecromancerRising at TORN ( I do not know of it's validity):
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is shaping up to be the first imported film in 24 weeks to claim the #1 spot at the Japanese box-office. Morning/Afternoon ticket sales are very solid, granted it doesn't appear to be playing nearly as wide as the first film, but it should have no problem seeing a good increase over the original. An opening over 300 million ($3 million) is reasonable. The film also opened on Friday, so a 3-day total of 350-400 million ($3.5-4 million) is doable.

The opening for AUJ was 2.6m$
In short, it's bad but better than the initial reports from Japan.
Voronwë the Faithful

Latest is "DOS is doing quite good on Saturday." Don't really know what that means, and if it will significantly change the earlier estimates that had it having an opening weekend of $3.1 million versus $2.7 million for AUJ.
Voronwë the Faithful

China, 29M for Saturday, versus 23M for AUJ. Slacking off.

There were some numbers reported for Japan, but I don't know what they mean, so I'm not going to post therm
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I am consistently amazed at the passionate interest in Box Office prognostications.