TH: Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition Anticipation Thread

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote: The enchanted stream bit would be redundant, as eventually, they all go a little loopy anyway.
But isn't that what you wanted? The company facing more "natural dangers" rather than just orcs or Sauron's forces?
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

In general, yes. But Mirkwood looks like a set to me (and thus, unnatural) so it doesn't count. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

There's the Passdagas we all know and love!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:In general, yes. But Mirkwood looks like a set to me (and thus, unnatural) so it doesn't count. :)
I thought it had a very organic look - much like a cross between something very primeval and the best aspects of great set design. It was very much Mirkwood.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Passdagas the Brown

sauronsfinger wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:In general, yes. But Mirkwood looks like a set to me (and thus, unnatural) so it doesn't count. :)
I thought it had a very organic look - much like a cross between something very primeval and the best aspects of great set design. It was very much Mirkwood.
It's just so obviously an indoor soundstage, that's all. Otherwise a decent (though conventional) "scary forest." I prefer Tolkien's Mirkwood, with tall trees like pillars and seemingly a little less tangle...

Though the area around the spiders looked much better. Perhaps because the webs and spiders obscured the set design? Not sure, but I was fully immersed during the spider fight, while the soundstage landscape during the "stoned" routine took me out of the film momentarily.

IMO, it's really hard to fake a forest. Better to shoot on location for that. Think of the wonderful location where the troll cave was shot in AUJ. Throw some dark filters on that, and you've got yourself a Mirkwood!
Voronwë the Faithful

I wasn't wild about the 'stoned' or rather 'tripping' scene. Perhaps because I have too much experience with the real thing for it to have seemed authentic to me. ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Haha! Yes, nothing like the real thing. :)
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Maverick and danger.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Says the person with the signature picture that I am constantly worried is going to jump off the screen and lick my face!
Passdagas the Brown

I'm pretty sure the one on the left wants to kill me.
Voronwë the Faithful

But what a sweet demise it would be!

:doggy:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

OMG THAT WAS THE CUTEST MURDER EEEEEVEEEERRR!!!!11 :love: :love: :love:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

12 minute documentary on DoS from ComingSoon.it...

Behind-the-scenes shots and some unseen footage/alternative cuts?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That was great! Thanks Elen!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

yov,

Where did you find that beast? The cave of Kyre Banorg?

:scarey:
Passdagas the Brown

Elentári wrote:12 minute documentary on DoS from ComingSoon.it...

Behind-the-scenes shots and some unseen footage/alternative cuts?
I have a feeling the DOS EE is going to turn a lot of fans who disliked the film into fans.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I didn't notice this the first time, but I think there was a cut scene of the Master giving a speech as the dwarves depart for the mountain. He ascends a specially prepared podium and acts like he's about to begin speaking, then it cuts away, and later it cuts back with him acting like he's just wrapped up.
Passdagas the Brown

Also, two of the trumpeters who herald the master in that scene are Alan Lee and John Howe.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Did anyone else think of Dr. Seuss when the musicians stepped up?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Passdagas the Brown

My immediate thought.