TH: Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition Anticipation Thread

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I would love that, and I don't think it is impossible, but I doubt it will happen.

I'm hoping for a minimum of 30 minutes of additional material (I cut what I was going to say in half, and then in half again.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:2. Bear Beorn chased a bunch of dwarves into his house, so he would've known before he even entered!
I think there was a bit of an implication that man-Beorn and bear-Beorn aren't in complete communication with each other.
Voronwë the Faithful

After hearing Martin describe it, it HAS to be in.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I really, really hope it's in. But Martin did not at all imply that it would be.

Maybe this will force PJ's hand? :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Martin would not know. But I still think it will be in. It is such a perfect EE addition (like the gift-giving scene in FOTR).
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Martin would not know. But I still think it will be in. It is such a perfect EE addition (like the gift-giving scene in FOTR).
Agreed. But doesn't it contradict what's in the theatrical edition? Beorn walks into the house at night, and surely made note of the dwarves sleeping there. Why would he be unaware of them in the morning?

It seems as if PJ shot two alternative scenarios. If so, is he likely to replace the theatrical version of the scene with an entirely new one?
Voronwë the Faithful

There is some (but not much) precedent for that (e.g., the opening to FOTR).
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I still miss the original, much better (IMO), TE opening? :cry:
(I only own the EEs).
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I didn't say it was necessarily a "good precedent". :)
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I didn't say it was necessarily a "good precedent". :)
Hmmm. But are there actual shots cut out of the FOTR EE that were in the TE?

In this case, the scene of Beorn walking into the house at night would need to be omitted. I hope not, as that's an eerie moment.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Hmmm. But are there actual shots cut out of the FOTR EE that we're in the TE?
Yes. Actual shots.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Really? Which shots were cut in it? I guess I didn't pay much attention. I have only seen the EEs like two or three times.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

As I recall, some of Gandalf's cart ride with Frodo was cut out of the EE. Which sucks cuz they were lovely.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Here is a detailed comparison between the two versions: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=765
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Oh thanks. I dearly hope Beorn's entry is modified to that. What a wonderful addition it would be!

And besides the enchanted river, are there any other confirmed scenes in Mirkwood?

And I will also go on to predict there will be more of Tauriel-Kili.
Passdagas the Brown

The only other scene I want to see in Mirkwood is the white hart, which has a wonderful traditional "faery" essence to it.

The enchanted stream bit would be redundant, as eventually, they all go a little loopy anyway.

And while I want to see the dwarf introductions to Beorn, I don't want them to cut any of the scenes in the TE. There are some wonderful images in there.
Voronwë the Faithful

Definitely agree about the white hart. I'm not dying to see the enchanted stream, but I certainly wouldn't mind it. As for the dwarf introductions, I am hoping they can figure out a way to include it without losing anything. Although like with AUJ, I plan to purchase a streaming version of the TE, and then buy the EE DVD set, so if they do change it, I will have both to watch.
Passdagas the Brown

Which makes me wonder: are there any shots in the AUJ TE that are not in the AUJ EE?
Voronwë the Faithful

Quite a few, as it turns out. That same site has a the same kind of detailed comparison for AUJ:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=841103
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Quite a few, as it turns out. That same site has a the same kind of detailed comparison for AUJ:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=841103
Ah, yes. But those are very, very minor. No scenes are actually cut out, either. There are just a few frames (a second worth or less, here and there) that are occasionally shaved off a shot in the EE. Basically, less dramatic than the FOTR EE.

The shot I'm worried about losing is the one of man-Beorn walking into the house at night, which I thought was great.