There and Back Again Anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

There and Back Again Anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[Note: I combined this thread with the TABA hopes and fears thread that I also started]

Yes, I did it, despite the fact that the second film hasn't even been released yet, rather than post this in the general thread. Seems like an odd thing to do to promote the second film, but it definitely gets the juices flowing for the final chapter:

Peter Jackson & The Hobbit cast on There & Back Again

SV, I don't think that you will have to ask about what the "emotional high" moments will be in that film! I just hope that Jackson and crew don't blow it.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

You and I both know that Thorin will be killed while riding on Beorn's back, Fili will be killed while swinging from a chain tied to an eagle claw, and Kili will die of a broken heart when Tauriel smooches Legolas on the battlefield. Start embracing it now.
Voronwë the Faithful

No, you've got that wrong. It is Tauriel who dies of a broken heart when Kili smooches Leggy on the battlefield. Get your fact right!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Or is it Tolkien fandom that dies of a broken heart after realizing it's all over and team Jackson will have no further opportunities to fix all those things everyone kept saying would be taken care of in the next installment?
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:No, you've got that wrong. It is Tauriel who dies of a broken heart when Kili smooches Leggy on the battlefield. Get your fact right!
My apologies. You are, of course, correct.

Based on recent reports, it looks like Kili will be killed by a zombie Smaug (necromanced by Sauron), who shoots a ghoulish green scrubbing bubble substance out of his mouth.
Voronwë the Faithful

Maybe I should rename this thread "keeping the expectations for There and Back Again as low as possible!!!!11"

Although in all seriousness, I have very high hopes for this film. Which may or may not change after Friday.
Passdagas the Brown

Honestly, I feel like skipping over DOS and going straight to TABA.
Voronwë the Faithful

The comments in that video are encouraging. But it is early days yet. I'm sure Jackson will come up with something that will drive (most of) us crazy.

Edit: Besides, if nothing else, we get Bilbo and Smaug. That by itself will be worth the price of admission for me. And I think there will be plenty of other worthwhiles as well.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Sir Christopher Lee gives us hints about his presence in TABA in his annual Christmas Message...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _5bg#t=419

from 6:45 onwards...I do so hope this wonderful man is still with us to see the film released next year.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Wow, that sounds fantastic! Jackson better not leave him to the EE!!! :x

Love the hat!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Making Cinema history again! I'll drink to that!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

:cheers: :drink:
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I am guessing the Beorn-flashback was moved to the EE?
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:Sir Christopher Lee gives us hints about his presence in TABA in his annual Christmas Message...

from 6:45 onwards...I do so hope this wonderful man is still with us to see the film released next year.
WOW Elen!!! Thanks a bunch for that. It is very very hopeful. I am so glad that Lee was around to make this second trilogy and I share your hope he sees this next year.

And that hat!!!!!
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Smaug's voice wrote:I am guessing the Beorn-flashback was moved to the EE?
Was there every any solid evidence that such a thing was even filmed? All I remember is a badly-translated Swedish article where it wasn't clear whether he said his character was tortured in some scene or that filming some scene was like torture.
Voronwë the Faithful

Honestly, I hope the whole thing either never was filmed, or was discarded. I dislike the idea quite a bit.
Passdagas the Brown

Elentári wrote:Sir Christopher Lee gives us hints about his presence in TABA in his annual Christmas Message...

Such a wonderful man. Reminds me of my great uncle.

Did he imply that Saruman will be engaging in swordplay?
Passdagas the Brown

Dave_LF wrote:
Smaug's voice wrote:I am guessing the Beorn-flashback was moved to the EE?
Was there every any solid evidence that such a thing was even filmed? All I remember is a badly-translated Swedish article where it wasn't clear whether he said his character was tortured in some scene or that filming some scene was like torture.
He was quoted as saying he was in a "torture" scene, where he was strapped into something and...IIRC...hoisted up near the ceiling?
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:

Such a wonderful man. Reminds me of my great uncle.

Did he imply that Saruman will be engaging in swordplay?
It seemed like he implied that, but I'm not convinced. But he was very explicit about Saruman showing kindness to both Gandalf and Galadriel, and that his part is quite large. Of course, who knows what Jackson will do with it in the cutting room.

PtB, you are lucky to have such a great uncle!
Passdagas the Brown

Thanks! Though he passed away a few years ago, he had that same mix of authority and gleeful mischief that Lee has. Just a joy to be around.