There and Back Again Anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yes, the Balrog scene in FOTR is fairly well done, and the opening of TTT, despite a certain silliness in the fighting, is one of those sublime moments that PtB and yov bond over.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

OOC: PtB - your inbox is probably full.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Elen,

Totally understand, and agree. It's subjective, as are all opinions about art.

And just to clarify, I don't pull apart LOTR as a means of promoting TH. Comparing the two is simply a logical means of more clearly expressing why I generally dislike PJ's adaptations, while appreciating certain elements. For me, LOTR still has some of the best scenes and visual moments across the 5-film set. But DOS was more consistently successful, IMO.

In short, like Tolkien, I really dislike the forceful manipulation of an audience by a director or author, and PJ skews heavily toward that style. I much prefer directors who act more as observers of a story than as over active storytellers. History over polemics, basically.

And in that context, I find DOS a little less ham-handed than LOTR. Just a little.
Voronwë the Faithful

You called her "Elen". :highfive:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:You called her "Elen". :highfive:
I knew we'd get there eventually! :)
PtB wrote:In short, like Tolkien, I really dislike the forceful manipulation of an audience by a director or author, and PJ skews heavily toward that style.
I don't disagree but that only bothers a viewer if they are aware they're being manipulated... Most of us react instinctively to art in whatever form, and don't need to dissect it to know whether it is supposedly "good" or "bad" art technically... and if we are using that criteria then I would say that PJ has actively manipulated the audience far more with TH, particularly in terms of reinventing characterizations to tell the story HE wants to tell in preference to Tolkien's.

ETA: Hmm... maybe it's time for this Everything wrong with Desolation of Smaug ...in nearly 15 minutes! :shock:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I watched the first few minutes of that video, but I had to stop because I found it so annoying and unfunny.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That's a shame....you missed the best bit right at the end with Sm-erlock! ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, that was worth watching. :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Sm-erlock. :rofl:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:You called her "Elen". :highfive:
Why, what's with that? Hasn't he called her that before?
Voronwë the Faithful

No, he has.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I've made the criminal mistake of calling Elen "El" before. Hell hath no fury... :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

What's wrong with "El"? You don't like that one Elen? :P :D
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Elen is a perfectly respectable name in its own right....it also happens to be my R/L name in Sindarin. I just don't think it needs shortening further. Image
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I see.

I look forward to the day when someone starts calling me S. :P
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It's probably also something to do with the fact I was given my name because my mother thought there wasn't a conventional shortening of it....but of course people still try! :blackeye:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I thought this was a little interesting:
There is an interview on the homepage with Peter Hambleton:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/04 ... ering-net/

The only spoiler contained is the following:

"GD: Without giving away anything you’re not allowed to tell us, is there a moment in particular in the third film which you’re really looking forward to everybody seeing?
PH: There are so many! There’s a moment – without spoiling it – which is towards the end of the story… selfishly, for me, Gloin gets a moment with Bilbo, which is really heartwarming. I won’t go any further than that; but it’s been so much a part of our lives, you really want to feel that your little story with your little dwarf gets rounded off nicely!"
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Sounds nice, but I just hope it's not more gratuitous foreshadowing/tying-in to LotR...

That sounds harsher than it's meant - I just wish sometimes that TH could be treated "independently" so that those who see it before LotR discover the connections gradually like first-time readers do...
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I'd love it if it is something similar to the Gimli-Legolas-Gloin throwback from DoS. I'd hate it if it something like Bilbo looking at the picture of the Last Alliance in Rivendell.
'Nuff said!
Elentári wrote:That sounds harsher than it's meant - I just wish sometimes that TH could be treated "independently" so that those who see it before LotR discover the connections gradually like first-time readers do...
That and the 3-film split are the only big complaints I have for the TH films.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

"I've had such a good time with you Bilbo. Maybe someday our heirs can get together and do something similar!"
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Dave_LF wrote:"I've had such a good time with you Bilbo. Maybe someday our heirs can get together and do something similar!"
:rofl:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!