There and Back Again Anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

So is this a guess, or does this journalist know something we don't know? In an interesting article about Andy Serkis in the upcoming sequel Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, an article at RogerEbert.com includes this statement:
This year, Serkis will be featured in three blockbusters in major performance capture roles. Besides his work on "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" as Caesar, Serkis will also be seen in "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" as Gollum and in "Godzilla" as the big scaley guy himself.
http://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-cor ... f-the-apes
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Hard to tell...

I imagine there might be a final shot of Gollum lurking in the woods, saying "my precious" and then the credits roll.
Voronwë the Faithful

That would hardly be "featured in a major performance capture role." But I can't imagine that any appearance would be much more than that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

The Woodmen said that there was some new terror abroad, a ghost that drank blood. It climbed trees to find nests; it crept into holes to find the young; it slipped through windows to find cradles.
Since they're already being rather creative with the timeline, it's not impossible that they'll show Gollum's hunt for Bilbo.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:So is this a guess, or does this journalist know
something we don't know? In an interesting article about Andy Serkis in
the upcoming sequel Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, an article
at RogerEbert.com includes this statement:
This year, Serkis will be featured in three blockbusters in major
performance capture roles. Besides his work on "Dawn of the Planet of
the Apes" as Caesar, Serkis will also be seen in "The Hobbit: There and
Back Again" as Gollum and in "Godzilla" as the big scaley guy himself.
http://www.rogerebert.com/far-flung-cor ... f-the-apes
Well, the reporter also got the fact about Godzilla wrong. Serkis acted merely as a consultant than doing the actual mo-cap.

So I won't pay much heed to the report.
Though, I won't mind a small glimpse of him being the Gollumophile that I am!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, I just saw that.
Voronwë the Faithful

Apparently, the premiere will be in New York.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

New word on a date yet. Note, however, that it does say "There and Back Again" not "Into the Fire" or any other nonsense.

Edit to add: it is not clear whether this really the world premiere, or just the U.S. premiere.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Since the DoS WP was in LA, I can't see them holding TABA's in the States again - unless WB are demanding it...

ETA: although TheHutt on TORn posts that the EU Premiere...
is likely to happen in Paris, according to chats with the dwarf actors at HobbitCon.

They don't repeat premiere cities. So far we are through:
AUJ: Wellington (World) / London (EU)
DOS: LA (World) / Berlin (EU)
TABA: NY (World) / Paris? (EU, rumour)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Regarding the death scenes in TABA, a person at the TS FB group claims to have asked the "lesser" dwarves about it.

Here are the direct comments:
At HobbitCon last weekend, I asked the actors whose death scene in TABA
was the saddest. Graham McTavish, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown and Peter Hambleton commented Thorin's was
and that no one really cares aboutFíli's and Kíli's death. Mark Hadlowtold me, though, that Kíli's made him
cry.

I had a very longconversation with Peter Hambletonand Jed Brophy at the bar, they both
told me that all the fans will not be disappointed by the third movie.
Especially the death scenes were very tough work and they really tried tomake them as epic es possible.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Either way, by the comments. Seems like Fili gets snobbed. Again. ;)
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Who's Fili? The blond sidekick to the hot dwarf?