Desolation of Smaug reviews

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

So what's the score anyway? ;) :D

DOS: 89
PtB: 3

:music: :banana: :drummer: :banana: :music:
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

:llama:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Some of the hosts of this AMC Movie Talk show who are discussing the Smaug plane have seen the film and clearly love it, though they can't say anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw6Kb4ZiTpM
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

dp
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

I'm not sure it's justified, but I'm getting a slightly better feeling about things this time...

The one twitter comment that claimed this was the best of all 5 Hobbit films affected me, I think.

I don't recall anyone on social media claiming that AUJ was the best. Most of even the most positive voices said something like "it ain't up to par with any of the LOTR films, but it's still very good."

If we get a flood of superlatives over the next few weeks, then I'll feel pretty comfortable.
Voronwë the Faithful

Down worry, you're going to hate it! :banana:
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

You mean to tell me you still haven't learned your lesson? If the critics end up liking it more, it will just mean it does a better job of conforming to the scriptwriting 101 principles they know and love. ;)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

^ This. ;)
Passdagas the Brown

Fine, I'll hate it. :bawling:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

https://twitter.com/jerslater

So, um...guys? DESOLATION OF SMAUG is f****** awesome.

@Breznican: Okay, Hobbit 2 ... That's more like it.

@jerslater: It's basically a three hour action movie. Smaug is incredible. The last hour is basically Jurassic Park in Middle Earth.

@Variety_DMcNary: Strong positive reaction to 'Desolation of Smaug', especially action sequences

Also director Edgar Wright tweets:
@edgarwright

"Just home from the 'Smaug' premiere which is a treat for your eye bulbs and ear drums. The barrels set-piece is PJ in especially fine form."

Another audience reaction (reply to EW above):

@Lisse_A
"I completely agree. It was a complete sensory experience. Nothing like I've seen before. Loved every minute."
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Read this - and choose to believe it or not - at your peril!

MASSIVE PLOT SPOILERS (though they are hidden, so you get a second chance to turn back!)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1170358/boa ... /222905157
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Well there's plenty in there to help bring PtB down, even ignoring the spoilers (I'm sorry, but it's for your own good).

NO spoilers in what follows:
-"Overall I felt about the same about it as I did the previous film. Wayyyy to long with added details that contribute little to the overall story."
-"7.5. Slightly better than the first Hobbit, doesn't touch LOTR."
-"If you didn't like the first you probably won't like the 2nd."
-The action is "still cartoony" and there is more of it, but it is also more entertaining than last time.
-Tauriel and Legolas are "very much a distraction." They contribute nothing significant to the story. Lily is "a decent elf" but her story is "needless filler."
-Bilbo's encounter with Smaug is everything you'd want.
Voronwë the Faithful

The other person at IMDB who says he saw it says this:
I do not share your opinion though. I LOVED every minute and can't wait for more.
Interesting that the first guy said that there was "no memorable music." That doesn't exactly make me feel that I am going to share is opinions 100%!

The second guy also said:
It's my favorite movie of the year and I've seen over 100 first run 2013 movies
(and he posted a picture of his ticket to prove he was there)
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Although I love it, there's really no question that this soundtrack lacks the "hooks" and hummable melodies that earlier ones had. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone who only saw the film once and who didn't pay special attention to the score failed to remember or even really notice it.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Dave_LF wrote:Although I love it, there's really no question that this soundtrack lacks the "hooks" and hummable melodies that earlier ones had. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that someone who only saw the film once and who didn't pay special attention to the score failed to remember or even really notice it.
Agreed...it really is hard to take in much of the soundtrack when you are concentrating on the visuals and trying to catch all the dialogue the first time around, and particularly if there is no standout tune like AUJ had.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The other person at IMDB who says he saw it says this:
I do not share your opinion though. I LOVED every minute and can't wait for more.
Interesting that the first guy said that there was "no memorable music." That doesn't exactly make me feel that I am going to share is opinions 100%!

The second guy also said:
It's my favorite movie of the year and I've seen over 100 first run 2013 movies
(and he posted a picture of his ticket to prove he was there)
The second guy has answered a lot of posters' questions...and I have to say the Legolas-Tauriel-Kili triangle sounds just as bad as expected... Image
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

From Eric Vespe (Quint from AICN), for what it is worth:
Desolation of Smaug premiered last night. Early word from friends in attendance, even those that didn't care for AUJ, is it is great
Voronwë the Faithful

To me it sounds bad, but not as bad as I feared.

And on the Daily Show, Sir Ian McKellen reveals the real love story spoiler:
Hidden text.
"Gandalf has an affair with Galadriel"
Passdagas the Brown

The Daily show segment with McKellen also featured the "I found my courage" scene, with heavy music loudly declaring the evilness of the Ring and Bilbo's struggle to tell the truth.

Otherwise, I liked it...

Decided not to place any trust in these twitter reactions. Looking back, the twitter reactions for AUJ were very positive, and then were followed by seriously lukewarm reviews (RT is also an imperfect measure, as a lot of the "fresh" ratings for AUJ are tempered with sharp criticisms).