Desolation of Smaug reviews

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Smaug's voice wrote:And a 2-star review by Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... eview.html

The only negative review till now which seems to have been written properly, imo, even though I may not fully agree with him.
Is this line of dialogue seriously in the movie? :shock:
Hidden text.
Jackson and his co-writers, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, have decapitated bodies twitching on the ground, and a captured dwarf leering at a female elf: “Aren’t you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers.”[/

So much for "in the spirit of Tolkien..."
Last edited by Elentári on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Indeed. If that dialogue really is included, then it might very well be the worst dialogue in all the 5 films.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It would seem like an odd thing for a reviewer to make up.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Negative review from Slant Magazine:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/revie ... n-of-smaug
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Elentári wrote:Is this line of dialogue seriously in the movie? :shock:
I bet it's Bofur, and I bet it'll be in the same tone and spirit of "great game, if you've got the balls for it."
Voronwë the Faithful

There is no chance that it is anyone other than Bofur. ;)

With regard to the butterflies, I asked at TORN whether anyone who has seen the film can confirm whether that scene (as well as Bilbo naming Sting) is in. The poster "Bombadil" claims that both are in, but he can't point to his source. I'm afraid I don't believe that he knows what he is talking about, so as far as I am concerned, it is still an open question.

Hopefully Al will get in to the Irish premier tomorrow and let us know for sure, if we don't know by then. Otherwise, I'll ask Telemachos at TORC, who also is supposed to see it tomorrow.

ETA: Bomby has now given a more specific answer that still doesn't give a source, but has more specific information. I am still not certain, but it sounds like he may well know what he is talking about.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:There is no chance that it is anyone other than Bofur. ;)
The only one leering in AUJ (EE) was, of course, Kili... :roll:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:ETA: Bomby has now given a more specific answer that still doesn't give a source, but has more specific information. I am still not certain, but it sounds like he may well know what he is talking about.
I was thinking if the scene was in it would probably be a plot point instead of just a moment, and if Bombadil is right, it sounds like that's true (the spiders attack while Bilbo is in the tree, which is why he's spared).
Voronwë the Faithful

It does make a certain degree of sense.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Finally, a review that respects Tolkien, respects the value and the promise of fantasy, and expects more than flashy spectacle. From Slant Magazine:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/revie ... n-of-smaug

For me, that one rings true. Though I will have to see for myself...
Voronwë the Faithful

Um, if you look up half a dozen or so posts, you'll see that I already posted that one.
Passdagas the Brown

Sorry, missed it. In any case, it is by far the best-written negative review yet. The Telegraph review, though competent, seems disrespectful of the source, and upset that he has to slog through moments of respite to get to the action (which most others insist is not the dynamic of this film).
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree with that.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Yes. That was a more justified review.
Passdagas the Brown

I have to admit a deeply sinking feeling that I have never felt before. I believe this has to do with the simple fact that after this, there's just one more. And that's it. And none of them are going to be very good, from my perspective...

There was a fundamentally denialist part of me that was hoping PJ would, due to the virtues of the source material and the artists and actors surrounding him, create a great film or two almost by accident.

But that's just a ridiculous hope, and I have to dash it.

Depressing. Think I'll go drink some Tullamore Dew.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Don't think this one has been posted yet - a positive, thoughtful review from Kili (one half of the "Happy Hobbit" duo...)

A Feast of Starlight:A Review of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Can you say "rose-colored glasses?" ;)

Encouraging nonetheless.
Voronwë the Faithful

Mostly positive review from Crave Online, though he says Jackson "airballs the finale."

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews ... n-of-smaug
Voronwë the Faithful

A different, and even more positive (9 out of 10, versus 8.5) review from ComingSoon.net:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsn ... ?id=112204
Voronwë the Faithful

Yet another positive review, from TwitchFilm:

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/12/review-th ... -ride.html