Desolation of Smaug reviews

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Not sure where you are seeing one star; the review I linked to is 4 stars out of five.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Okay, some of these are actually encouraging. Though the constant declaration of the barrels sequence as the best part of the film leaves me skeptical...
Passdagas the Brown

From IGN:
This film clips along at a fast rate, upping the action and the suspense in a way the walking-and-talking first film often failed to.
Why in the world do reviewers have a problem with people walking and talking in fantasy films?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

We don't need no stinkin' exposition!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Well, exposition is one thing. You don't want characters simply explaining things all the time.

But "walking and talking" seems to encompass all forms of dialogue that are delivered while moving slowly on two feet!

Are these reviewers generally okay with running and talking, falling and talking, jumping and talking, or swimming and talking?
Passdagas the Brown

I haven't seen any mention of the butterfly scene so far...

Is it in?
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Two reviews:

Screendaily: http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the- ... ntID=40296

Middle-earth News -

Spoiler free review: http://middleearthnews.com/2013/12/07/a ... -of-smaug/

a part-by-part spoiler-heavy review (didn't dare look into this!): http://middleearthnews.com/2013/12/07/a ... ler-alert/
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Aaargh couldn't resist and took a little peek in there.
Hidden text.
So there is no enchanted river in the film like the book. Just the spores.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I haven't seen any mention of the butterfly scene so far...
It is beginning to feel like a suspicious omission. I just did a search on TORN for the word and it's only been typed once since I posted about Shore's music for the scene on Monday, and that was unrelated.

But it was included in the 20 minutes of footage that was screened a while back, so it would be really odd if it weren't there.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

And a 2-star review by Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... eview.html

The only negative review till now which seems to have been written properly, imo, even though I may not fully agree with him.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Though the constant declaration of the barrels sequence as the best part of the film leaves me skeptical...
To play devil's advocate - would you feel skeptical if I said the running escape from a cave was the coolest of of Indiana Jones?

Passdagas the Brown wrote:From IGN:
This film clips along at a fast rate, upping the action and the suspense in a way the walking-and-talking first film often failed to.
Why in the world do reviewers have a problem with people walking and talking in fantasy films?
Considering the amount of walking-and-talking in the much-loved LOTR, I don't think they have a problem with it in principle. The only have a problem with it when what they're talking about is boring. And I'm sorry to say it but in the very simple children's adventure story that is The Hobbit, there really isn't much of anything that interesting to talk about.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The only scene in all of AUJ that I would describe as "walking and talking" is the wager/handkerchief one. That lasted 2-3 minutes, maybe. Some people.
Voronwë the Faithful

A really excellent review by Quickbeam at TORN (and by excellent I don't mean positive, I mean informative and well written):

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/12 ... ts-fandom/

The first part is spoiler free, and then after a blank space, he gets into spoilers. But it is mainly about how far the filmmakers deviate from the source material.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Dave_LF wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:I haven't seen any mention of the butterfly scene so far...
It is beginning to feel like a suspicious omission. I just did a search on TORN for the word and it's only been typed once since I posted about Shore's music for the scene on Monday, and that was unrelated.

But it was included in the 20 minutes of footage that was screened a while back, so it would be really odd if it weren't there.
I have it on the best authority that it is in, but that it has now become a major action sequence in which the butterflies chase Bilbo across the treetops. Major kewlness!!!!!!111

=:)

More seriously, I am beginning to think that it, and Bilbo naming Sting, are both relegated to the EE.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Thanks for all these reviews V. This sounds like everything I had hoped for ........ and maybe more.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful

Glad to be of assistance. I for one feel that I need to know as much as possible about this film going in to avoid the distraction of constantly looking at what is different from the book. Because it definitely appears that Jackson wasn't kidding when he said that he was enjoying deviating from the source material. That's not necessarily a bad thing from a filmmaking point of view, but for those of us so steeped in Tolkien, it is going to be a hard pill to swallow.

Still, I am prepared to enjoy the film on its own terms.
Voronwë the Faithful

Long but spoiler-free video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAk02s_ycg
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:A really excellent review by Quickbeam at TORN (and by excellent I don't mean positive, I mean informative and well written):

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/12 ... ts-fandom/

The first part is spoiler free, and then after a blank space, he gets into spoilers. But it is mainly about how far the filmmakers deviate from the source material.
Well, I'm glad that there is someone out there who feels that same way as me about Jackson's TH...

I shall take Quickbeam's advice and at least try to enjoy the aesthetic pleasures to be savoured.

But a lot of what he spoils just gives me the shivers - and not in a good way... :(

This comment in particular, regarding the number of echoes of scenes and ideas from LotR is worth repeating!
I am convinced that it might not be such a good idea to recreate exact repeats of the same memorable moments from the LOTR Triilogy. Why doesn’t P.J. just keep making new memorable moments that belong solely to ‘The Hobbit?’
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Smaug's voice wrote:Aaargh couldn't resist and took a little peek in there.
Hidden text.
So there is no enchanted river in the film like the book. Just the spores.
if you read Quickbeam's review, you will see that he has it from a trustworthy source that the sequence was filmed but cut from the TE...so it may be reinstated for the EE.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Glad to be of assistance. I for one feel that I need to know as much as possible about this film going in to avoid the distraction of constantly looking at what is different from the book. Because it definitely appears that Jackson wasn't kidding when he said that he was enjoying deviating from the source material. That's not necessarily a bad thing from a filmmaking point of view, but for those of us so steeped in Tolkien, it is going to be a hard pill to swallow.

Still, I am prepared to enjoy the film on its own terms.
You know, I wouldn't have a problem with what Jackson is doing, if it was for a standalone, single HOBBIT movie...I could understand and accept it far better.

But for an over-stretched 3-film version the aim of which he professes is to form a seamless 6 movie series, the difference between the two approaches really beggars belief...
~Diana Cortes