All things concerning Azog and Bolg

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Yup, guaranteed that's Bolg.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yup, gotta be.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Maybe Bolg is about to kill Legolas, and Beorn saves the day, thus beginning a subtle romantic subplot between the beauty (Legolas) and the beast (Beorn), that carries over into movie 4?
Voronwë the Faithful

Oy!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

I can see it now. Legolas getting annoyed at Beorn for playfully ruffling his beautiful blonde hair, but secretly loving it.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Oh wow! I wish Gandalf's Mother, the author of the classic TORC thread "Aragorn and Lurtz: A Sexual encounter" (I would link to it, but those old TORC threads are now a formatting mess), could see that!

Wow, I did not realize that was started by Gandalf'sMother! He was a pretty unique guy.

I remember that thread well... it had some pretty good points, actually.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Oh, Gandalf's Mum. Such a silly person!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Silly? Well, maybe sometimes. :) Although I quite enjoyed his always well-thought out viewpoints!

Whistler commented on that thread. I miss Whistler.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Passdagas the Brown

anthriel wrote:Silly? Well, maybe sometimes. :) Although I quite enjoyed his always well-thought out viewpoints!

Whistler commented on that thread. I miss Whistler.
I know GM well, and believe me. That's a compliment! He likes being silly. :)

Whistler was a marvel, as was Hama. I wonder what they're up to?
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

OOOooo, you lucky duck. I would like to know GM better! :sunny:
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

As much as I dislike Legolas in the movies, I'm actually glad he has an equal opponent in Bolg. I hope Legolas isn't the one to kill him.

Bolg is an unusually competent orc, by the way. He beats up Leggy, is capable of stealth, good with a bow, and sticks to his mission.
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Whistler was a marvel, as was Hama. I wonder what they're up to?
Whistler was, of course, one of the founders of this site, and a big part of why it is the kind of place that it is. I am still in touch with him occasionally.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Oh, Gandalf's Mum. Such a silly person!
I have seen many of the threads by GM on TORC! I found them very funny and yet witty. :D
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

"Recognizing oneself and being of a sound mind are for all men." 8)
Passdagas the Brown

kzer_za wrote:As much as I dislike Legolas in the movies, I'm actually glad he has an equal opponent in Bolg. I hope Legolas isn't the one to kill him.

Bolg is an unusually competent orc, by the way. He beats up Leggy, is capable of stealth, good with a bow, and sticks to his mission.
The most frightening thing about Bolg is his mission discipline. Thorin's gone? Walk away. Legolas occupied with minions? Walk away.
Passdagas the Brown

Beutlin wrote:
"Recognizing oneself and being of a sound mind are for all men." 8)
Wise words! :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I think one of the main reasons why I dislike Azog's design and think that he is out of place in the movies, is because he looks completely non-human.

I mean, orcs are supposed to be the mutated versions of Elves. the LotR-orcs while appearing more humane, also looked like a mocked version of Elves. Which, to me, made them 'real'.
While Azog, with his bald head, button-eyes, and super-smooth skin makes him unlike any being on ME. He actually looks like an alien, to me at least.

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/wp-conte ... -well.jpeg

does not look like

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4l2t ... o1_500.gif

while this does

http://www.allmystery.de/i/thNL7Z8_lurtz_blu_tint.JPG
Passdagas the Brown

Azog certainly looks humanoid to me. IMO, he and Bolg are the best-designed orcs across all five films.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Azog certainly looks humanoid to me. IMO, he and Bolg are the best-designed orcs across all five films.
Well, I didn't say he isn't humanoid. But I think he doesn't look like something that was (or whose ancestors were) once an Elf. It's subjective of course.
And the only other reason I don't like is his smooth skin. It just sticks out as something unnatural (w.r.t. orcs I mean) :D
Passdagas the Brown

Well, Tolkien never quite settled whether or not orcs were actually corrupted elves. It was a philosophical conundrum for him. In later years, he seemed to lean towards corrupted beasts.

Also, Tolkien wrote briefly about "Boldogs." Orcs who were not orcs, but minor Maiar spirits in the guise of great orcs.

I see Azog that way.

I really dislike the "people in elaborate Halloween costumes" look of the LOTR orcs, and am glad PJ went in this direction for TH.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.