The wind was on the withered heath (and other songs)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Regarding Thorin singing about himself - they have not been shy about tweaking some words from songs. They could change "King" into "Durin's kin" or something.

I see the point about the tune though. I cannot see them making it into a cheerful song, especially since it will be just before the battle. And the two cheerful songs from the book were actually depressing in the films.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

In Erebor, the song could really work dramatically as a sort of ominous calm before the storm as the armies of elves and men amass outside. Similar to the Pippin song in ROTK, but with more of a solemn and possibly fatalistic "prepare for a battle we are likely to lose" edge.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

It would really work well if it is similar to Théoden's "Horse and the Rider" monologue before Helms Deep.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:In Erebor, the song could really work dramatically as a sort of ominous calm before the storm as the armies of elves and men amass outside. Similar to the Pippin song in ROTK, but with more of a solemn and possibly fatalistic "prepare for a battle we are likely to lose" edge.
That was my original thought, and I still think it is possible, though I won't hold my breath.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I was right with the good morning dialogue, and I am really hoping to be right about this one. Stay positive, V! :)

Their maintenance of the songs, including the prophetic song of the Laketowners, is one element that suggests PB and J understand TH on a greater level than LOTR. Or, they just have more screen time to work with. Either way, I applaud them for it.

My cautious guess? We'll at least get this in the EE.
LotR actually has quite a few songs, though we do usually get smaller samples of them than the Hobbit. You have Pippin's song to Denethor, Aragorn's coronation song, Gollum's song at the Forbidden Pool, the drinking song at the Green Dragon, small bits of the Lay of Leithian and The Road Goes Ever On, and a few others recited as spoken word.
Voronwë the Faithful

I do very much hope we get Bilbo singing The Road Goes Ever On, and Gandalf being pleasantly surprised at it. But I doubt we will.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

<sigh> with PtB, every discussion has to have a LotR - TH showdown.
Voronwë the Faithful

:scratch: I don't see anything that my friend PtB has said that would be considered an LOTR - Hobbit showdown. If you are talking about his last post, all I see him doing is making a suggestion of how the song we have been talking about could work in the upcoming film by giving an example of something that was done in LOTR. No comparisons between the films from the two sets of trilogies, no put downs, just a helpful and intelligent remark. What am I missing?
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

SV,

FYI, I wrote the comment that kzer quoted last November.

Today, however, I spoke favorably of Pippin's song from ROTK, and wondered if the "withered heath" poem might serve a similar function.

So no, not every discussion I start must have a LOTR-TH showdown.

-PtB
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Oh right, I didn't notice the part kzer_ca quoted was old.
Apologies. Have my head on a spike if you want. :)
Passdagas the Brown

No need. An apology is sufficient. :)