The Rankin Bass Tribute Thread

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<downloads>

<stares at file on desktop with big scared eyes>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Don't do it, Prim. You will be scarred for life. The visuals are bad enough, but that song! Oh my goodness.

And Alatar, why oh why did you not warn me about the transformation of the Orcs?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Alas I read your post too late Voronwë_the_Faithful I watched that clip until I could take it no more. The very idea that Sam wanted to become a king and make create a garden kingdom were terrible to behold. But not as much as watching orcs become birds and animals!!! Beware before you watch this clip
make sure you know the consequences!!!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote: And Alatar, why oh why did you not warn me about the transformation of the Orcs?
Oh, but he did! Read his post again!

So, will you be joining us for next year's Ireland m00t? (nobody tell him what's on the agenda! :whistle: )
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Great intro, Alatar! Your description really made me want to watch it. :)

The thing you guys have to remember is that the intended audience for this is little kids. This isn't any worse, and probably a lot better, than the stuff that passes for children's entertainment these days.
Alatar wrote: He commands the plain of "Gorra - Gorrath" to sprout and grow into a Garden, then all the Orcs magically transform into fluffy monkeys and birds.
That was my favorite part! They could've thrown in a couple of floppy-eared conies, though, in case Samwise the Strong had a hankerin' for stew. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I apologize, Alatar. Apparently you DID warn me about the transformation of the Orcs, but my eyes must have gone right past that sentence without seeing (or believing it).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Maybe it helps if you grew up with this?

I must have seen this movie 20 times before ever reading the books....
strangely, it didn't ruin them for me....

I will admit that that particular scene is a tad over the top.... Hard to think of Sam saying any of that, really...

But you have to recall that in their Hobbit, trippy kaleidoscope things happened when Bilbo killed the spiders. I mean, that's just how they deal with those sorts of things.

I remember liking the neon transformation, myself :P

And I still don't see any problem with the "wearer of the ring, the bearer of the ring" song :twisted:
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Was it just me or did the orcs look rather cute? To think that Sam would have wanted to become a king to me is unbearable. Did this movie have any resemblance to The Lord of the Rings???:?
But I have to admit orcs turning into birds and animals is pretty funny. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Actually SW, that's pretty much canon:
As Sam stood there, even though the Ring was not on him but hanging by its chain about his neck, he felt himself enlarged, as if he were robed in a huge distorted shadow of himself, a vast and ominous threat halted upon the walls of Mordor. He felt that he had from now on only two choices: to forbear the Ring, though it would torment him; or to claim it, and challenge the Power that sat in its dark hold beyond the valley of shadows. Already the Ring tempted him, gnawing at his will and reason. Wild fantasies arose in his mind; and he saw Samwise the Strong, Hero of the Age, striding with a flaming sword across the darkened land, and armies flocking to his call as he marched to the overthrow of Barad-dûr. And then all the clouds rolled away, and the white sun shone, and at his command the vale of Gorgoroth became a garden of flowers and trees and brought forth fruit. He had only to put on the Ring and claim it for his own, and all this could be.
It's just the execution that is so dreadful. Unfortunately, we can't argue that its not purist... its just crap.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Your right Alatar I guess I forgot about that. :oops: But I would also like to add something:
The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

True, but that's his realisation after the temptation.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Yes you are quite correct Alatar.
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

And that's pretty much what the movie has him say in the next 3 seconds that Alatar didn't show us :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

True again. But then I wasn't showing this to demonstrate purism or lack thereof. I just think its funny. :)
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

If I may ask Alatar do you have any more clips? :?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Patience Grasshopper. We have to let people recover from the first two.

I presume you saw "Where there's a Whip" from the first post?
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Of course, quite marvelous really converting such a serious and desperate moment into a silly song...
I did feel sorry for the poor orcs though...
Old_Tom_Bombadil

superwizard wrote:Of course, quite marvelous really converting such a serious and desperate moment into a silly song...
I did feel sorry for the poor orcs though...
Git back to work ye maggot-ridden bag o' vile or I'll flay ye wit' a trout! =:)

Where there's a fish... :salmon: ...there's a way!
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Ouch. :help:

I wonder what the animators had been smoking... :whistle:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Old_Tom_Bombadil

Rowanberry wrote:I wonder what the animators had been smoking... :whistle:
Personally, I think the animators had all been sacked by Warner Bros. Their perception for orcs seems to be that the Dark Lord created orc by combining dogs and cats with the Tazmanian Devil. :shock:

+

+

=