Peter Jackson Hates Railings

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

You won't like the Goblinkings song so! Although I think Bofur's works quite well (apart from it being a hobbit song that is).
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I probably wouldn't like it if I did watch it which I'm not planning to so my opinion on that will remain irrelevant. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The Misty Mountains song at Bag End was THE highlight of the Bag End scene. And the cleaning up scene, including the song, is pretty much STRAIGHT out of the book! I was so happy to see Jackson include it!

The scenes I hated were the stone giants, Goblintown (all the bridges and walkways falling down) and all the shenanigans at the end. Jackson has Important Characters hanging or falling from dangerous heights SO many times in his films that eventually it's just a big yawn, along with an eyeroll, or two, or three, depending on how long the scene goes on. As if Blbo is going to fall over the edge of a cliff, or Aragorn be killed in a fall... :roll:

And while we're on the subject, the fall I still hate the most (after Aragorn's dive) was Denethor! Doing that scene the way it was done in the book would have been SO much more effective, in my opinion!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Sunsilver wrote:And while we're on the subject, the fall I still hate the most (after Aragorn's dive) was Denethor! Doing that scene the way it was done in the book would have been SO much more effective, in my opinion!
Yup - I still don't know how Jackson could have resisted a close-up on the Arnor stone showing Denethor's withered hands wreathed in flames! :D
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Elentári wrote:yes, I would say the complaints about set up are referring mainly to the Prologue, which delayed the start of the story proper - it was an interminable age before we met MF. Can you imagine what it's going to be like with the cut bits of the prologue added back in on the EE! Probably nearer 15 minutes before we get to "60 years earlier..."

I felt Old Bilbo/Frodo sequence was the proverbial straw, and really should have been cut dramatically. There's a lot to said for spreading out the back story, and dealing it out in small portions - the fan edit I saw does this very well by inserting it in smaller chunks within Bag End, as it is in the book, of course...

Interestingly, I have never found the FotR prologue so protracted, somehow.
Have to disagree. The prologue, and the Bag End scenes, are for me the only sequences that give you a sense of actually being in a real place with real people that have real problems. That includes the Bilbo-Frodo scenes (I really like the "unsociable" bit, followed by Bilbo's denial, then followed by him creating a "no admittance" sign for his gate! Very funny, IMO).

Once PJ gets on the road, it becomes a straight "monsters are after us, RUN!" kind of theme park ride, and I actually find myself wishing that the whole film took place in the Shire!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm in a hotel room a block from Fenway. We turned on the TV and to my surprise, the Trollshaws scenes was on, so we watched to the end. Beth's comment was that there was lot's of great stuff, but too many fight scenes messing it up. I had to agree.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

And there is more in the EE. :)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Is the EE out yet?
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Passdagas the Brown

Impenitent wrote:Is the EE out yet?
Yes. The digital download is available via iTunes.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Ah. Digital download will not do. I require a pretty box for my HD DVD/BluRay. 8)
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

So do I. Fortunately it's just in time for my birthday. <goes off to nudge Mr. Prim with a large pointy stick>
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

To return to the original statement:

Anyone who doesn't understand why there are no railings in PJ's work should drive around NZ for a few weeks. Guardrails are an endangered species there. It's a cultural thing. ;)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

How many wizards need to die before they learn?
Passdagas the Brown

Dave_LF wrote:How many wizards need to die before they learn?
Handrails, you fools!
Passdagas the Brown

"You Shall Not Pass Comfortably!"
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Sorry if this video has already been mentioned. I've been avoiding these threads for the most part, to minimize spoilerization. And please note that there are multiple bleeped out F* words in this video. This guy noticed the lack of handrails and physics in the Hobbit as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDhsH79jAY
Everything Wrong with the Hobbit AUJ in 4 minutes or less.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus