Beorn

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sinister71

Beorn

Post by sinister71 »

[Note: I split this off from the thread about Balin, and what people are looking forward to - VtF]
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Don't worry, there will be plenty of OTT action, too. 8)
UHHHHH! :(

Well its official I really don't like the look of Beorn

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/10 ... -of-beorn/

I dislike him almost as much as i dislike the axe in Bifur's head. Which I still hate after all this time and completely ignore when I watch the film. Beorn might be a bit harder to ignore since he is supposed to be a major character. I just hate the whole X-men Wolverine/hybrid look. And where are his muscles? those biceps could be on any normal man Beorn should be ripped and buff, like one of those WWE wrestlers. IMO of course REALLY NOT liking the look hopefully Persbrandt's performance will save it. :help:
If your going to adapt a story you love WHY change it into something else? I truly am curious about that.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Well, given that I was the one that started the petition to Jackson to remove the axe, I obviously agree with you there. But while Beorn is definitely not what I had always imagined, I think I rather like his look, and can understand why they went with it (particularly if they are, as seems very likely, going to show his transformation).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Have to disagree, sin

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I actually really hate it when a "big man" of the ancient or medieval world is portrayed as a steroid-laden muscle head. A woodsman in a place like Middle Earth should be healthy and muscular, but in a wiry rather than bulky way. He chops wood, hauls wood, and travels far and wide. His physique is exactly right. For once, I am glad PJ didn't go OTT on human Beorn.

That said, the facial hair is disappointing. The beard looks fake as well - almost as bad as Dwalin's, which is the worst of the bunch (observe it during his introductory scenes in Bag End).

He looks like a Dickensian-era Kevin Costner. I mean, the last thing I think about when reading about Beorn is "mutton chops."

Are we supposed to believe that he actively shaves his upper lip and chin? He's a shape-shifting wild man, not a shopkeeper!
Passdagas the Brown

Not to mention that it would take a lot of hair spray to keep that mane up in the air like that...

Come to think of it, that hair-sprayed look plagued a number of the dwarves as well, including Balin...

What happened to the very naturalistic hair and wigs of LOTR?

Has PJ ever actually spent time hiking around in the wild - withour helicopters and trucks and hundreds of crew-members around him?
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

I didn't mean steroid driven muscles :roll: Maybe I shouldn't have used wrestlers as a reference. I grew up helping my dad with cutting and stacking and chopping wood. I know many lumberjacks. My dad has always been very ripped muscle wise but not huge and bulky. Just extremely toned. I agree there is a difference. Beorn for me just doesn't look toned from looking at his biceps. Handling an axe and living in the woods like a lumberjack he would be more defined IMO. he just looks like any other guy body wise to me so far.

You mean middle earth didn't have aquanet hairspray? How did Nori ever keep that wonderful do of his up.... :scratch:
If your going to adapt a story you love WHY change it into something else? I truly am curious about that.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Mind you, in the previous leaked photo from the Spanish calendar he does look rather more buff...

As much as I love Persbrandt, I have to say the hair is not doing it for me...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

New thread? I am ok with the picture from the book, but I don't like the set photograph. Hopefully the former is closer to the final product.

And like I said on TORN, Beorn's face looks like what I wanted for Bard--glum, a bit sad, and coldly determined, but with gentleness underneath.
Passdagas the Brown

I also see that PJ couldn't help but give Persbrandt an obtrusive forehead and nose prosthetic. Interestingly enough, Persbrandt's natural face looks much more bear-like:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/ ... 37uwvn.png

I never could understand PJ's obsession with extreme prosthetics, even when they are barely necessary for design purposes (eg. most of the actors playing dwarves look dwarvish enough without the plastic).
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree with you about the lack of moustache, and the hair, but that is just looking for things to complain about, in my opinion.

There is no excessive prosthetics here. Fortunately.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I agree with you about the lack of moustache, and the hair, but that is just looking for things to complain about, in my opinion.

There is no excessive prosthetics here. Fortunately.
but there are enough to make him not look human. Look at the nose the shape resembles that of the snout of a bear. Something completely unnecessary. And the forehead has been pushed out a bit. Something subtle but still looking more animal like. Beorn was clearly described as looking like a man in the book not a hybrid of man and bear Just a very large man with "huge arms and a great beard" something this Beorn shows neither of IMO
Passdagas the Brown

But take a look at the link to Persbrandt's picture I provided. A much more natural and bear-like look, IMO, and there's not a prosthetic on him!

It's similar to the Graham McTavish phenomenon. He has a perfectly dwarven face, and yet PJ and company gave him awfully fake-looking head, forehead and nose prosthetics, which are glaringly obvious (watch the scene where he says "that'd be the door" to Bilbo, for example). Not to mention his beard, which looks like something a French guy once wore to a Halloween party I held once...

Beorn's beard and hair seem a bit more realistic than Dwalin's, but his face has an odd plastic look. Plus, he looks like Kevin Costner meets Michael J Fox's Teen Wolf, which can't be a good thing.

He was better left untouched, IMO.
Voronwë the Faithful

I see it with Dwalin, and certainly Balin's ridiculous nose, but I don't see it with Beorn. I like the face quite a bit.
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

looking at that hair he looks like Jon Beorn Jovi :D

All he needs is some spandex and he'll be singing living on a prayer to Bilbo and the dwarfs. Then when Bilbo goes into the mountain were gonna faintly hear the opening guitar riff of wanted dead or alive as Bilbo makes his way to the lower halls :rofl:
Last edited by sinister71 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

sinister71 wrote:looking at that hair he looks like Jon Beorn Jovi :D
:rofl:

Comment of the year?

It has my vote!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sinister71 wrote:looking at that hair he looks like Jon Beorn Jovi :D

:rotfl: Love it! Since Beorn is chasing the Company when we meet him, I guess the song should be renamed "Always run from you..." ;)

Maybe Persbrandt could make a cover of "One Wild Night" for the scene where Beorn has a meeting with the other bears in the area and the Dwarves are warned to stay indoors! :D
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Passdagas the Brown

One thing's for sure. He gives bears...a bad name.
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:One thing's for sure. He gives bears...a bad name.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: notice the profile picture change ...

Shot thru the heart and Beorn's to blame... He gives bears a bad name. :rofl:
Passdagas the Brown

sinister71 wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:One thing's for sure. He gives bears...a bad name.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: notice the profile picture change ...

Shot thru the heart and Beorn's to blame... He gives bears a bad name. :rofl:
This is a meme begging to go viral (at least in Tolkien fandom). Any chance of putting together a Youtube video?

Your hair's overdone
There's nowhere to run
No one can save you
The damage is done

Shot through the heart
And Peter's to blame
You give bears a bad name
You play your part, but Peter's to blame
Passdagas the Brown

I also think it likely that the set photo is more accurate. The more I look at it, the more it seems that the image from the book is artwork, and not an actual photo...
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: