The LOTR TV Serial by Tosh

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Re: Imagine the following

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:In my view, they are just a few artists, with above-average skill at getting movies made. I do not treat them as gods, or as extraordinary filmmakers. I believe there are lots of writers and filmmakers who could have produced a much more compelling, and just as lucrative, version of LOTR and the Hobbit.
This is a much more reasonable opinion than "Jackson is a very bad filmmaker." I probably would come very close to expressing almost the same opinion myself. But that is beside the point. The point is that, while this is still a completely subjective opinion, it is a defensible one. The original "Jackson is a very bad filmmaker" statement is, in my opinion, indefensible hyperbole.
Ah, but I said something very different than that. I said:
To me, PJ is a really bad filmmaker,
To me - from my perspective - he doesn't make good films - even the kind of film he seems interested in making. Your version is indefensible hyperbole, while mine is defensible personal opinion.

And believing that they have 'above average skill at getting movies made' does not imply that I think PBJ make good films. It's just that they seem to be good at getting films made...