Desolation of Smaug trailers (SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Desolation of Smaug trailers (SPOILERS)

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I thought I would start a separate thread to discuss the trailer, which is coming in less than 2 hours.

A poster at IMDB who has a track record of being correct says he has seen it and posted some observations, for anyone who can't wait to see it themselves.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1170358/boa ... #215678049
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Confirms the barrel escape will be an action sequence with both orcs and elves trying to catch them (technically there could be two separate attacks). Also looks like the Thrain material will be in this one; I couldn't tell whether the shots were part of a flashback but I somehow doubt it.

Also, "when did we allow evil to become stronger than we." Wurst character ever!!!!!!11
Voronwë the Faithful

So much to say. Mostly positive, I think, but I'm not sure. I think I like Smaug a lot. But I'm not sure.

What is it that jumps at Gandalf? And what does he say in response to Radagast's "what if it is a trap?"

I do like Thranduil a lot. And I like Bard's one line. And of course Balin.

And the butterflies!
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:What is it that jumps at Gandalf?
Thrain (95% sure)
And what does he say in response to Radagast's "what if it is a trap?"
He says "o tom neni pochyb" (Solvak). Google translates that to "no doubt about it."
Voronwë the Faithful

You really think that is Thrain? Does Gandalf have Glamdring?
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Unless it's some other dwarf. Gandalf has something sword-like in his left hand, but the image is too pixelated to tell if it's Glamdring or not. Occam would want me to say yes, though.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

AWESOME!!!

First glimpse of Beorn - but looks like some serious changes to the storyline there if they are shutting the door on him!!!

I'm reserving judgement on Smaug, though I can't say I'm blown away yet...

I will say there was far too much Tauriel and Legolas in this trailer!

I loved Thranduil, and the design of his Halls, and the aerial shot of Laketown even though I'm still not enthused over the CGI - that very first shot of the boat on the lake looks so obviously fake....as did one of Legolas's appearances where it was very obvious he turned from CGI character into real actor. I guess it does make the Elves' agility appear even more supernatural, particularly where they are scampering through the tree branches....

And like Dave, I'm still confused over the Thrain sequence - I take it that this is a separate visit to DG to the clip we saw of Gandalf with Radagast? He appears to only have his staff when he is having a skirmish with the presumed Thrain. But who is the creature that jumps down on him from above, where he is holding both sword and staff???

Questions....questions....
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Surprised they revealed that much of Smaug.

At least if it has "too much action", this time it will have kewl elf action along the bleh dwarf action. :P
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:And what does he say in response to Radagast's "what if it is a trap?"
He says "Oh, it's undoubtedly a trap..."
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I'm actually not sure that is a sword now (the facebook version is higher quality). It almost looks like another staff. It appears to be glowing near his hand. I'd guess it's the phial, except it seems too big.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Need to watch it a few more times and process it, but my impressions are more positive than negative after one viewing. Glad to see the butterflies! And I like Thranduil. Legolas, Tauriel, and Azog, not so much.
Voronwë the Faithful

Dave_LF wrote:I'm actually not sure that is a sword now (the facebook version is higher quality). It almost looks like another staff. It appears to be glowing near his hand. I'd guess it's the phial, except it seems too big.
Are you talking about when the thing is jumping on him? That is most definitely a sword, and it looks like Glamdring to me (but it is hard for to tell for sure).
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Yes, there are screencaps up now:
http://i.imgur.com/6xyjUAU.jpg

Sword in his right hand, staff in the left. My blade-lore isn't good enough to say which one.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think it is Glamdring, although I am not sure.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

There's one part of the trailer where there are about five jump attacks in a row - I thought that was a little silly. ;)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I don't think it is Glamdring, although I am not sure.
Looks like Glamdring's hilt to me, though I'm no expert!

But what is that I spy in Thrain's right hand? Could it be...the Key???? And yet, it can't be, because Gandalf had the key before he found Glamdring!

I feel a headache coming on... ;)
~Diana Cortes
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I wouldn't put too much stock in a trailer coming this early, especially concerning plot points.

Many times, the trailer is simply a mash-up of whatever they've filmed. In The ROTK trailer, there was a scene with Elrond and Arwen that was never in the movie, not even the extended edition, but it featured prominently in the trailer.

I will say that I think the whole Tauriel thing is a huge mistake.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:Looks like Glamdring's hilt to me, though I'm no expert!
I think the hilt turns up more than the Glamdring hilt does.

Here is the sword from the trailer:

Here is Glamdring:

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ah, good spot...so if that not Glamdring, and it is Thrain with the key, then the scene must surely be a flashback!
~Diana Cortes