Desolation of Smaug sneak peek (spoilers of course)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Dave_LF wrote:I just have no desire to jump through all these ridiculous hoops in order to see a few seconds of footage from a movie that will be out in less than 9 months, and throughly advertised well before that.
Word.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Here's a gif that I found:

http://stealthylikeajackal.tumblr.com/p ... sneak-peak
Why does this remind me of The Wizard of Oz? And why do I keep expecting Dori to break out with "As mayor of the Munchkin City..."

:scratch:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't know why it reminds you of that? :scratch:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

IAWD
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Talking of gifs...

And here's some more Thranduil sass, courtesy of marcuspaine

#3 (love the way he's lounging on the throne!)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Notice Legolas only has one fighting knife... where's the other one? Or maybe he has a different harness altogether.... maybe he is gifted the familiar twin blades later in the trilogy?

Thranduil does have a certain swagger... not sure I'd call it sass. That's usually a sign of disdain or lack of respect.

ETA: oh, I see in the screen shots that legolas does have the same harness and twin blades. The gif must be from a rehearsal?

Oh and well played Sir V :D -- it's a disciplined mind that refuses to try to read another's. :hug:
Beutlin

The Desolation of Smaug

Post by Beutlin »

If you have not seen the sneak peek for the "Desolation of Smaug" I would advise you to visit the German fan-page, page #6 of the topic called "DER HOBBIT: SMAUGS EINÖDE Preview bei amazon.de #2". There is an interesting link there that apparently starts to show something interesting at 17:00. I have not seen it of course 

http://forum.herr-der-ringe-film.de/sho ... /1/fpart/6
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The link is over its viewing limit...no surprise, alas.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

It's working fine for me - am about half way through it so far!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It's working for me now too.
Voronwë the Faithful

And for me. I thought it was great. Thanks so much for posting that, Beutlin! And nice seeing you here again!

Elen, your speculation about whether the High Fells scene might be from the EE of AUJ is definitely answered in the negative.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beutlin

Trancription I

Post by Beutlin »

If it's okay with you, here is the transcription of the first five minutes:

[The video starts with Jed Brophy rising from a couch and approaching the camera.]

Jed Brophy: Thank you for joining us here at Portsmouth studios. I am Jed Brophy; I play Nori in the Hobbit films. This morning you get to see behind-the-scenes and how we make these movies and where we make them. And later on, you get to ask Peter Jackson, some, some, questions live. And speaking of which, here is Peter Jackson himself. Morning Peter!

Peter Jackson: Jed, how are you?

Brophy: Very, very good. Nice to see you!

Jackson: Great! Thank you! And here we have our folk, tuning in. Thank you very much for making the time, in your day or your night! Speaking of which, for most of you in the Americas or Europe it is Sunday, March the 24th. But not only is this life there is actually a time travel element to this, because if you look at today’s paper down here in New Zealand it’s the 25th of March. It’s Monday, it’s eight o’clock in the morning on Monday. So you are actually going ahead in time…not just live…and I tell you what: look out your window, seven o’clock Monday morning, it’s amazing, spoiler alert, but it is incredible.

Brophy: And there is, there is actually for all of you English fans…

Jackson: English cricket fans…

Brophy: English cricket fans…

Jackson: Because England and New Zealand are playing a very intense game of cricket at the moment and just for the fans in England we thought you might like to look at the back of the paper here, today’s paper [Paper reads “England against the wall.”]. Never mind, never mind, let’s move on. [Brophy laughs].

Brophy: What are we going to look at today?

Jackson: Well, we are gonna end up in the cutting room. Most of this is going to take place in the cutting room, but before we get there, I just want to give [?] you a tour round our building. For those of you that have watched the blogs, Stonestreet Studios where all the filming is done, is around hundred yards down the road. This is our kind of post-production place, where we find ourselves for months and months after the film is finished. And this is the motion-capture stage, performance-capture stage and Christian is in the middle of doing a little bit of motion capture for the second Hobbit movie.

Christian: We are doing a bit where Azog and the orcs are…

Jackson: Spoiler alert, spoiler alert…let’s just stick to…this is Azog, you see Azog there, one of our chief orcs. He is actually friendly in the motion-capture suit, more friendly than he is in the movie and [then we see] an orc and then these guys over here are doing the performance capturing. Christian is directing them. This is sort of the thing we have to do for months and months to get everything ready for these films to come out in December. So if you guys wanna run it, we just have a look at the screen over here and you can see…

Christian: Okay, cool…We’ll go again.

Jackson: Just keep on working on it. I am sure it can be improved, but it’s gonna look good.

Brophy [addressing “Azog”]: Just a little bit more anger maybe, a little more anger.

Jackson: That’s very good, Jed. Let’s keep on going. We are just going to take you on a little tour through the inner sanctum, as it were. I always liked to have movie posters on the walls of films that I enjoy or particularly loved when I was young. And this is a great movie. Have you seen it?

Brophy: Yes, someone should remake it.

Jackson: Remake it? That would be a good idea and you could be in it.

Brophy: Yeah, it’s one of my favourite movies.

Jackson: Good. So we are moving up into the editorial department. We get a good little, good view out the window over the motion capture stage and just peer out and make sure they are all working very hard down there. We have various editing rooms. Ellie’s in there, working hard. And this is another poster of a film that had a big influence on me. I’m a, I’m a…My hobby is First World War aviation and it was a result of seeing this movie that…when I was about seven or eight years old. Good movie.

Brophy: Oh, what we’ve got here?

Jackson: Well this is poster collection, sec-sheets, which is a size of posters that they do not make any more on three sheets. I’ve spent a few years trying to collect every James Bond sec-sheet and three-sheet. So this is like the James Bond Walk-of-Fame.

Brophy: Wow!

Jackson: It’s good.

Brophy: Which is your favourite?

Jackson: Well this is the first Bond movie I saw, live and let die, but you know the posters of the old days are just fantastic. They used to actually paint movie posters, which never happens anymore, unfortunately. That’s a great poster, isn’t it? Live and Let Die.

Brophy: The detail in it, it’s amazing.

Jackson: You just walk down this corridor, and it makes you feel good.

Brophy: And you’ve got room for those coming up.

Jackson: We’ve got room for more of them, yeah. Now we are heading into the [pre-vis] department.

Brophy: That stands for pre-visualisation.

Jackson: Which is like story boards, except we don’t really do story boards anymore. We do these like animated, you know, animated sequences, which we work on for quite a few months before WETA Digital’s doing the final shots.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Elen, your speculation about whether the High Fells scene might be from the EE of AUJ is definitely answered in the negative.
Yep, I saw that...well, let's hope it's treated as a flashback, then.

I loved what I saw of Lee Pace, and his interaction with Legolas...plus the development of Bard's character and the Laketown stuff looks interesting.

Just so sad that we have to have so much green screen environments compared to proper sets and locations in LotR. Principle photography may be done for TH:DoS but it's no wonder there's so little finished footage that the trailer won't be out till the Summer...

Also left wondering how Tauriel can fight effectively with all that hair swinging around. Surely a liability to have that amount dangling for the enemy to grab hold of??!!
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Brophy: And there is, there is actually for all of you English fans…

Jackson: English cricket fans…

Brophy: English cricket fans…

Jackson: Because England and New Zealand are playing a very intense game of cricket at the moment and just for the fans in England we thought you might like to look at the back of the paper here, today’s paper [Paper reads “England against the wall.”]. Never mind, never mind, let’s move on. [Brophy laughs].
Acutally, PJ's smugness over the cricket score was a tad premature, as England went on to salvage a draw in that match, and draw the Test series overall! :3face:
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:I loved what I saw of Lee Pace, and his interaction with Legolas...plus the development of Bard's character and the Laketown stuff looks interesting.
I agree. Even the Master came across better than I had hoped, based on some of the things that we have heard. I think this might turn out to be quite an interesting film.
Also left wondering how Tauriel can fight effectively with all that hair swinging around. Surely a liability to have that amount dangling for the enemy to grab hold of??!!
But at least it is an attractive shade of red. ;)

I didn't have quite as negative reaction to her Orc death line as some at TORN. She might turn out to be a pretty interesting Elven character. The Elves in this film certainly look like they will be more three dimensional than the Elves of the LOTR films.
Beutlin

Trancription II

Post by Beutlin »

Peter Jackson: And we have quite a lot of people working in this department, big team. Hey, guys! Yeah, so we got a little bit of spider work happening over there. Christian is here. So Christian’s been working on designs for Smaug, the dragon.

Jed Brophy: Let’s have a look.

Jackson: Oh, we are just…a little quick peek. These are all [friends?]. We are not gonna put this on the internet, are you? Let’s just have a quick look. I think he is coming along well, Christian.

Christian: Yeah, I kind of, came up with…

Jackson: That’s fantastic. You are doing so good. It’s so original, it’s great. Keep up the good work.

Jed Brophy: I don’t find it very scary.

Jackson: You didn’t really think we were going to show you Smaug, did you? Come on! Let’s keep going! Hey guys! So what have we got? This is another Smaug, is it?

Guy #1: Ah, some, some motion studies, yeah.

Jackson: Looks a little like a T-Rex with wings.

Guy #1: Sort of.

Jackson: Well, not close. Don’t think you’re close. I think the wings should be bigger anyway, if a T-Rex is ever gonna take off it would need much bigger wings than that.

Guy #1: Okay, got it!

Brophy: [laughs] They are gonna [?] the guy.

Jackson: So we carry on!

Brophy: So these are some of the art-works of the pre-vis?

Jackson: When you are doing pre-vis you are actually gonna build a model of the set and so you can accurately portray the scenes. This is a set that we built for…it’s the Rivendell library that we never used in the movies. In the end of the day it was a sequence that we never shot. We cut that out of the script before it ever got shot. But we did do some early pre-vis on it. So we are officially entering the editing department now and the first room is the room with all our brave edit team. The editing of this movie would not happen if it wasn’t for all these people at the height of their professional powers.

Brophy: They call this room the bunker, don’t they?

Jackson: Yeah. How’s it going guys, alright?

Guy #2: Thank you!

Jackson: Wow, wow, wow, let’s, don’t put, ah…

Brophy: They elves are always watching, always [points at a 3D poster of Elrond]…
Jackson: So let’s head down the corridor and then we will make ourselves comfortable.

Brophy: There’s my favourite, Goldfinger. Everything he touches turns to excitement, just like my career.

Jackson: Right, through here Jed. Here we are: This is the editing room.

Jackson: Yep. It’s always a bit strange because – you know – when we’re shooting a movie we are dealing with two, three hundred people on set. And while there is a lot of other people working on the film on post-production, WETA Digital and the sound, once I’m done with shooting the film I’m settling just me and Jay. This is Jabez Olssen.

Brophy: Good to see you!

Jackson: This is just me and Jabez in this room alone. So it is a bit of a culture shock – you know – to suddenly…

Brophy: Big TV!

Jackson: Big TV, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Brophy: How big is that?

Jackson: I think it is about a hundred and three inches.

Jackson. Yeah, that’s good. And there is a reason why the TV is so big and it is not just a kind of indulgence because it’s weird…in the old days we used to view movies on a little screen…on a [?] and it was strange, because you would spend months editing the movie on a screen this size and when you finally projected the thing on the cinema, which you do once you done your cut, you always have to go back and change the cut because the difference…just the rhythms and the pacing between the small screen and the big screen was kind of, was strange, it was unexpected. So having a screen as big as possible, like literally the biggest screen we could find is actually giving us the best ends we care what it is going to be like in the cinema.

Brophy: Right. So this is more like the end result.

Jackson: Yeah. It’s so much better than cutting on a monitor-sized screen. So it’s good and I’ve got my poster…this was on my bedroom wall, when I was a kid.

Brophy: Really, this actual poster?

Jackson: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Brophy: Have you got a copy of the movie?

Jackson: I do, yeah. It’s okay. But it was not really about the movie. The dinosaurs we’re cool and Racquel Welsh was cool. When you are a teenage boy that’s a very good poster to have on the wall.

Brophy: Indeed.

Jackson: So anyway, we’re just gonna…before we get started we got questions that we are looking forward to answering and a few bits and pieces, a few surprise guests coming on. But I thought I might just give everyone a little sense of what we do in the cutting room, because you know when people are editing a movie it is a little bit mysterious and I thought it would be fun for Javis and I to just walk you through. Because you were in this scene we just shot this about a year ago.

Brophy: Yeah we did, April last year.

Jackson: And it’s a scene…it’s a very…we’re just gonna have a little piece of a scene where Bard is taking the dwarves across the lake towards Laketown, their first time that they are into Laketown. Bard, he has collected these barrels at the river. Those of you who have read the Hobbit kind of know whereabouts in the story we are and those who haven’t you can look forward to December, but I just wanted to give you a sense how we kind of put this scenes together…what we do every day for months and months. It takes months to edit. We tend to shoot quite a bit of footage, do we?

Brophy: [Jackson laughs] Yeah, we do. Which is great, I enjoyed that part.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks for posting the transcription, Beautlin! The more the merrier!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The sheer number of takes and camera angles required to assemble one scene always, always takes me aback. Watching Freeman "play" with his line in every conceivable way to give them more to work with was fascinating as well.
Voronwë the Faithful

Wasn't it?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yep, an actor's life is hard work...definitely not all glamour!

Returning to my newest favourite subject of Thranduil, several comments have been overheard of how the image of him reclining on his throne are reminiscent somewhat of Frank-n-Furter in The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Ruxendil Thoorg over on TORn has come up with a neat parody of "Sweet Transvestite!"
SWEET KING THRANDUIL
A Rocky Horror Picture Show parody

THRANDUIL

How d’you do, I
See you’ve met my
Faithful Woodland guards.
They’re just a little brought down
Because when you crashed,
They’d hoped for troubadours or bards.
Don’t get thrown off
By the way that this looks,
Don’t miss the feast for the luncheon:
I’m not much for Dwarves
That come as they may,
But I’m glad to host you, here in my dungeon.

I'm just the sweet, top Sinda
Who sits sovereign
'Oer the Silvan Elves!

So you were slinking around.
Maybe you liked the grounds?
I hope that you found your hike pleasant?
Or perhaps for a victual,
You intruded a little
On our banquet spread of sweet wine and pheasant?

THORIN

We meant not to intrude on your interlude
We meant no harm, not a farthing,
We were just passing through, came looking for you
To beg for food because we were starving.

THRANDUIL

So, grandson of Thrór,
Will you say nothing more,
What brought you forth here to Mirkwood?
Did you come here to trudge, nursing a grudge….

THORIN

From when you left us dry, like a jerk would?

THRANDUIL

Who sits sovereign
'Oer the Silvan Elves!

So why don’t you stay for the night? Or maybe a bite?
You could meet my protégé soldier,
Finest training bestowed, blond hair and a bow,
And my son, would you believe, have I told’ja?

Who sits sovereign
'Oer the Silvan Elves!

So go into your cell. Let’s see what you’ll tell.
You see me shiver with antici……pation!
But at least you’ll have food, ‘cuz we’re Elves and we’re good,
So I’ll remove the cause, but not the symptom.

By Brethil’s suggestion and inspiration by the mini-thread that started here , this was a parody of Sweet Transvestite, from Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
~Diana Cortes