The Hobbit DVD/Blu-Ray Releases

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Per wiki:

"UltraViolet (UV) is a digital rights authentication and cloud-based licensing system that allows users of digital home entertainment content to stream and download purchased content to multiple platforms and devices. UltraViolet adheres to a "buy once, play anywhere" approach that allows users to store digital proof-of-purchases under one account to enable playback of content that is platform- and point-of-sale-agnostic. "

So some new streamy thingy.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Once it's more prevalent, and hotel video services enter the 21st century (I give it ten years), it will be possible to watch any movie or TV show you own in that format free on whatever video screen you have handy. You'll have everything available all the time. They've got a long way to go, though, in terms of creating a simple, trustworthy way to access what you own in that format. Or even know what you own.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

And, of course, you'll have to rebuy all your DVDs/Blurays yet again....though possibly, conceivably, for the last time?
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I wouldn't. But if this does take hold, every new DVD or BluRay will have it. I also think the days of physical media are numbered, and eventually "owning" a movie will mean owning the right to view it whenever you wish, without actually possessing a box with a disc in it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

My friends already make fun of me because I still like buying physical CDs.....
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Your friends would think I'm hilarious:

...and let's not even mention the LP's :whistle:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

How many of those were written by any living person, I wonder. :P
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Um... maybe one or two...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It looks like no one posted this here. DVD artwork:

click to enlarge
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

DjU over on TORN has spotted that in the past day BBFC has start to rate the component parts of the AUJ EE. So we are starting to get an idea on the running lengths of the individual features.

Note:- they only seem to have got through Appendices 7 but so far they total well over 255 minutes (4hrs 15mins plus) so its easy to see why the DVD version of Appendices 7 needs to be split across 2 discs

The Appendices Part 7: A Long-Expected Journey - A 14-part chronological history of the filming of An Unexpected Journey, covering pre-production in the various departments of the film in the months leading up to the start of principal photography, the boot camp training for the main cast, and the work done on set chronologically through the three shooting blocks and in the world of its digital effects. Chapters include:

Introduction by Peter Jackson = 1m 48s

• The Journey Back to Middle-Earth - 46m 12s
• Riddles in the Dark: Gollum's Cave - 16m 16s
• An Unexpected Party: Bag End - 24m 17s
• Roast Mutton: Trollshaws Forest - 16m 27s
• Bastion of the Greenwood: Rhosgobel - 10m 7s
• A Short Rest: Rivendell and London - 27m 52s
• Over Hill: The Misty Mountains - 13m 4s
• Under Hill: Goblin Town - 18m 19s
• Out of the Frying Pan: The Forest Ledge - 15m 20s
• Return to Hobbiton: The Shire - 17m 40s
• The Epic of Scene 88: Strath Taieri - 8m 5s
• The Battle of Moria: Azanulbizar - 10m 21s
• Edge of the Wilderland: Pick-ups and the Carrock - 21m 38s
• Home Is Behind, the World Is Ahead - 11m 9s

Credits = 3m 34s
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Ratings for Appendices Part 8 are up now, courtesy once again of DjU...
Full List Part 2 - The Appendices Part 8

Note; The Second part of The Appendices have more or less all been rated. The Rhosgobel featurette is still missing and there is currently no Introduction from PJ or any other member of the Crew/Cast, along with the fact they haven't rated the main feature means a few more bits to come.

The Appendices Part 8: Return to Middle-Earth - Another selection of documentaries and featurettes await, further detailing the development, design and production of An Unexpected Journey:

• The Company of Thorin - Explores the characters and backgrounds of the five families of dwarves and the company of actors chosen to play Thorin's company on the Quest of the Lonely Mountain. Chapters include:
- Assembling the Dwarves - 20m 19s
- Thorin, Fili & Kili - 6m 48s
- Balin & Dwalin - 6m 59s
- Oin & Gloin - 4m 31s
- Dori, Nori & Ori - 11m 33s
- Bifur, Bofur & Bombur - 9m 29s

• Mr. Baggins: The 14th Member - A revealing look at the film's charismatic and talented lead actor, Martin Freeman. 15m 18s

• Durin's Folk: Creating the Dwarves - Reveals the journey and process of designing, conceptualizing and physically realizing the dwarves in The Hobbit. 54m 54s

• The Peoples and Denizens of Middle-Earth - Focuses on the realization of new characters and creatures encountered in the first film, from casting to characterization to physical and digital design. Chapters include:
- The Stone Trolls - 12m 14s
- Radagast the Brown - 10m 16s
- Goblins - 18m 50s
- Azog the Defiler - 14m 0s

• Realms of the Third Age: From Bag End to Goblin Town - Follows the creation of the Middle-Earth locations from conceptual design to set and prop building to fully digital realities. Realms explored include:
- Hobbiton - 22m 34s
- Rhosgobel - Not Yet Rated
- Rivendell - 10m 38s
- The Misty Mountains - 5m 57s
- Goblin Town - 11m 48s

• The Songs of The Hobbit - A look at the realization of Tolkien's songs in An Unexpected Journey. 27m 54s
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

It took me some time to adjust to the difference in image quality in Blu-ray, but now that I have, it can be hard to go back. :P Which is not to say that I find DVDs unwatchable, but it is very nice to get to see films in high definition. It's not quite as big a leap as VHS to DVD was, but it's still a significant step closer to the cinematic experience.

NB To be able to watch a movie high definition you need to both have a Blu-ray player and disc, and also a TV that supports HD. I think just about all TVs nowadays are HD, but if your TV is 5-10 years old, or more, there's a fair chance it doesn't.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I bought my first DVD player in order to watch the FOTR EE. I expect I will buy my first Blu Ray player to watch the AUJ EE. Since I do have a new (albeit small) HD TV.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."