The Desolation of Smaug anticipation thread [SPOILERS]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

I don't mind the falling staircase because the scene looks great. Fire and stone in the deep. What more can we ask from cinema?

But to Smaug's voice, I must say that Arwen crying was far more melodramatic than Tauriel healing (though I don't like either scene). I dont mind the idea of empathetic grief for a stranger (especially for an immortal elf) but it's executed so clumsily...Hard to watch.

I also hate the perfume/ life insurance commercial fade to white after the Arwen scene, and Elrond's slo mo voice...
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Some more fascinating interviews with RA, LP and DO'G for the French site Effets-speciaux.info

Translations via Google translate available on Thorinoakenshield.net
◾Richard Armitage (part 1) on Thorin’s emerging faith in Bilbo, the Arkenstone as a symbol of the kingdom of Erebor and Thorin’s clash with Azog in the third movie.
◾Richard Armitage (part 2) on performing most stunts himself, the most difficult scene he played in the second movie, and shooting the prologue in Bree.
◾Dean O’Gorman (part 1) on auditioning for the role of Fili and Peter Jackson’s vision of the fraternal affection between Fili and Kili, Fili’s absolute loyalty to Thorin, Fili as protective of his rash younger brother, and his changing relationship with Bilbo.
◾Dean O’Gorman (part 2) on some of the most complex stunts he performed, working on set with Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen, and the physical difficulties of the warg chase scene and the barrels out of bond scene.
◾Lee Pace (part 1) on Thranduil’s complex nature and motives and why he refused to help the dwarves of Erebor when Smaug attacked.
◾Lee Pace (part 2) on Thranduil’s differences of opinion with his son Legolas, his relationship with Tauriel, his confrontation with Thorin in his palace, and his battle scenes in the third movie.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Everyone has their own flying snowman moment. :D
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

A little bit surprised to get such an unambiguous confirmation that Thorin will battle Azog at the BoFA. Not that I am surprised that it will happen, but I am surprised that RA would flat out confirm it. But I notice he doesn't say whether either kill each other.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I hope Legolas isn't the one who kills Bolg.

As for Arwen crying, while that scene is overdone and not a favorite of mine, is it not possible that she has some idea of Frodo's importance and isn't just getting upset over a stranger? Her father does have the gift of foresight.
Voronwë the Faithful

That is certainly possible, but would not make her blubber like a Twilight fangirl.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I don't mind the falling staircase because the scene looks
great. Fire and stone in the deep. What more can we ask from cinema?

But to Smaug's voice, I must say that Arwen crying was far more
melodramatic than Tauriel healing (though I don't like either scene). I
dont mind the idea of empathetic grief for a stranger (especially for an
immortal elf) but it's executed so clumsily...Hard to watch.

I also hate the perfume/ life insurance commercial fade to white after
the Arwen scene, and Elrond's slo mo voice...
Both scenes are melodramatic to certain degrees but Arwen's didn't go on for infinity like Tauriel's which actually felt like a gram of butter scraped over a ton of bread. :D
I have no problem with the "perfume commercial" at all.

Again, like music this is subjective and depends on your preconceptions of what you find melodramatic and what you dont. Well, that's the last I will say on it. I agree to disagree.
Voronwë the Faithful

The Tauriel scene is not particularly long; I think it is your perception more than anything else. It'll be interesting when the DVD is released to be able to objectively compare the length. And, of course, Tauriel is actually doing something, while Arwen is merely blubbering.
Gorthaur the Cruel

Post by Gorthaur the Cruel »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The Tauriel scene is not particularly long; I think it is your perception more than anything else. It'll be interesting when the DVD is released to be able to objectively compare the length. And, of course, Tauriel is actually doing something, while Arwen is merely blubbering.
My take on it is that (notwithstanding the fact that it should be a not-crying Glorfindel) action Arwen is very close to Bilbo and feels deeply for Frodo and his terrible situation - an example of the pity that plays such a huge part in how events play out in Middle-earth. Also, this is the moment that she commits to gifting Frodo her ticket for the trip into the West.

I wasn't so bothered that she was crying. I was almost crying myself given that Glorfindel again got cut from the script.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The Tauriel scene is not particularly long; I think it is
your perception more than anything else. It'll be interesting when the
DVD is released to be able to objectively compare the length. And, of
course, Tauriel is actually doing something, while Arwen is merely
blubbering.
it wasnt long. It seemed long. The Arwen scene OTOH. Blink and you miss it.

Besides, I honestly I don't know what she really was doing. If you notice the camera is always on her face.
Last edited by Smaug's voice on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

How DoS Should Have ended...

Gotta watch right to the end! :rotfl:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Saw it this morning. :rofl: best of HISHE truly!
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

kzer_za wrote:I hope Legolas isn't the one who kills Bolg.

As for Arwen crying, while that scene is overdone and not a favorite of mine, is it not possible that she has some idea of Frodo's importance and isn't just getting upset over a stranger? Her father does have the gift of foresight.
I always assumed that there was supposed to be some kind of scene later that showed the importance of Arwen's tears falling on the stricken Frodo. In one of the trailers to ROTK, there was a scene with Elrond saying to Arwen something like "You gave away your life's grace; I can no longer help you."

That scene was not in the movie OR the EE. I suspect that something about an Elf's tears was going to tie in with Arwen leaving and Frodo being allowed to sail West. But the rest of that story-line got cut out.

My objection to Arwen at the Ford is that she stole Frodo's incredible scene when he faces down the Nazgûl. I wish PJ had allowed Frodo that moment of strength. Arwen still could have been there - she could have caught him as he fell or something.

ETA:
Smaug's voice wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:The Tauriel scene is not particularly long...
it wasnt long. It seemed long.
Interminably long.
Last edited by JewelSong on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I don't get how Arwen's scene could be described as "blubbering". Shedding a couple tears is not blubbering.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

yovargas wrote:I don't get how Arwen's scene could be described as "blubbering". Shedding a couple tears is not blubbering.
Me neither. I get the annoyance that she stole Frodo's heroic moment of defiance, and that it should have been Glorfindel, anyway, but I don't have any other problems with it.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I wouldn't call it blubbering either, but while it isn't something that particularly bothers me, I do agree that the gasping and voice breaking stuff isn't really consistent with elven poise and dignity.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Also, the Tauriel scene is the capstone to a superfluous action sequence that breaks the pacing of the ending and that many consider the worst part of the movie. Arwen at the Ford is at least part of a scene that serves a clear purpose and is rooted in canon.
Hidden text.
I feel a bit hypocritical saying that when I'm a defender of the Osgiliath Nazgûl, but that part is so effective cinematically that I can forgive a lot. ; )
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Like so much of LOTR's melodrama, it's just...uncomfortable.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm not saying it was great, I'm just saying it was just a few seconds of overacting. She was neither blubbering nor is it at all wrong that she sheds a few tears over a young man dying in her arms. She just had poor delivery in that moment. Don't see why that's much of a big deal.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

She doesn't just shed a few tears. She also blubbers "No, Frodo! No, Frodo!" like a teenage fangirl who has been dissed by Justin Bieber (sp?).