The Hobbit: AUJ box office

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Do you think it is fair to say that it has been more successful overall worldwide than in the U.S.? That seems to be my impression, but I'm not really a box office following kinda guy.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'm not either!

Here are the figures by country:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... hobbit.htm

...but I'm not exactly sure how one would conclude anything from them alone! You would need to work out the percentage of each country's population that bought tickets and then compare...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Weekend figures in:

New worldwide total: $939.5m

North America: $293.2m
Overseas: $646.3m

Has overtaken TTT now...and inching ever closer to $1bn with still over 3 weeks till AUJ opens in China.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:Weekend figures in:

New worldwide total: $939.5m

North America: $293.2m
Overseas: $646.3m

Has overtaken TTT now...and inching ever closer to $1bn with still over 3 weeks till AUJ opens in China.
These latest figures and the prospect of China ensures that it will hit the magic billion dollar level. My grandson and I did our part yesterday for a fifth viewing. Sadly, it was only in 3D and only on one screen. There were about 40 people in the afternoon audience.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

Where I live, it's slowly starting to leave theaters, though many are still playing it.
Voronwë the Faithful

If it has the same weekly drop rate as last week, it will hit almost exactly $300 million domestically in the U.S. by the end of this week. Even if has a greater drop (the drops have actually gone down considerably the last two weeks, from 59.8% for the week of Jan. 4-10, to 47.5% the following week, and then all the way down to 25.1% last week), it should certainly easily pass $300 million the following week. Many commentators were writing off that possibility after the first couple of weeks. It has had much better legs than expected. It might even exceed FOTR's total (without, of course, taking inflation into account).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

One thing that helps a December release is that January and February are traditionally the months where studios release stuff they don't expect much from, and usually with good reason. It's too early in the year for prestige films (except those going wide after narrow just-in-for-Oscar-consideration December releases) and the kids are all in school.
Voronwë the Faithful

The early Blu-ray/DVD release (March 18) will likely significantly cut the total box office. I would imagine that they will want it pretty out of the theaters at least a month before the release. The LOTR films, on the other hand, ranked in tens of millions from February on. Then again, they also had significant Oscar bumps, particularly FOTR and ROTK.
Voronwë the Faithful

Last weekend didn't turn out to be so good, mostly because Super Bowl Sunday is not a movie going day. Saturday was actually a pretty good day, with more than a million, but that was more than half of the entire weekend take. It now looks unlikely to reach $300 million by the end of this week (it is currently at $296,193,684, so it would need a very small drop off from last week's $4,354,050). It should still eek its way there before leaving the theaters, I think, but it won't get much beyond it.

The overseas weekend gross was a pretty good $4.9 million. That brings the foreign total to $653,000,000 and the worldwide to $949,193,684. It will be well over $950 million before it opens in China on 2/15, so I think it should still comfortably pass the billion dollar mark worldwide. Unless it really tanks in China (Skyfall, for instance, just passed $50 million in China this weekend, after opening in late January).
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Amost there...300 million domestically looks to be a reality by next weekend:

US Domestic Total as of Feb. 10, 2013: $298,330,000

Worldwide takings currently stand at $955.8m

This weekend AUJ added $6.6m globally, with the split $4.1 international
$2.5 US

Looks like China will be make or break for whether AUJ passes the magic $1bn!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hobbit.htm
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:This weekend AUJ added $6.6m globally, with the split $4.1 international
$2.5 US
I think you mean "week" not "weekend". The U.S. weekend estimate was only $1,465,000.

I think it will be very close to $300 million U.S. by the end of next weekend, but I'm not sure that it will be quite there. If not, certainly during the next week.
Looks like China will be make or break for whether AUJ passes the magic $1bn!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hobbit.htm
I would be shocked it it didn't make it to a billion. I think China should be good for at least $80 million.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yeah, sorry, "week"...

But success in the Chinese market is not guaranteed...according to Peace1993 on TORN,
In the land of China, yesterday, a major blockbuster Chinese film called-"Journey To The West" was released. The film has been touted to make around $200 million. With the Hobbit being released at the end of the Chinese holidays, the effect that this film will have on The Hobbit remains to be seen. Lets hope for the best. I say that we are lucky if The Hobbit crosses $1 billion. The Chinese BO is a funny place with some Hollywood films being pulled out a week into their run.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, I saw that post, but I'm not too concerned about it. While I don't disagree that the China market is unpredictable I don't think there is any way that AUJ will do that badly. We'll see in a few weeks (I had thought the China release date was 2/15, but I guess it is actually 2/22, yes?).
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yep, 2/22 is what I've been hearing for a while now.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Actually had a fairly good day in the U.S. yesterday. Just 4.4% drop from the previous Monday, and actually a considerably higher per screen number since the number of screens dropped from 1300 to 1001. It may well make it $300 million by the end of the week (although I still think next week is more likely).
Voronwë the Faithful

It will be interesting to see if it gets to $300 million in the U.S. during this four day weekend. I was convinced that it would not when I learned that it was losing 396 theaters today, to 605. However, it had a better day yesterday than I expected with $162,213, a mere 3.5% drop from the previous week (quite impressive since it was on 299 fewer screens). So it only needs $1,115,655 over the four day weekend to get to to $300 million. I'm going to reverse course and say that it gets there after all!
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, maybe we'll never know. Box Office Mojo appears to have stopped showing daily updates for the film beyond Thursday, 2/14. Hopefully they'll update it at the end of the weekend.

Edited to add: While they haven't added to the daily totals, they now have listed an estimated weekend total of $970,000, putting it at $299,855,000. So if that is accurate, it should pass $300 million tomorrow!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Particularly with your 3-day weekend!

Have to say I'm intrigued to see how AUJ does on it's opening week in China in 5 days time...JOURNEY TO THE WEST just managed the biggest first 7 days gross ever in China - some competition!
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Apparently, the sci fi film Cloud Atlas is not far behind, and may exceed its North American take in China.

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/20 ... of-release
Voronwë the Faithful

boxoffice.com confirms a four day weekend studio estimate of $1,275,000, putting the film at $300,159,345 in the U.S. domestic market.