The Hobbit: AUJ box office

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

If the films follow the expected similar box office trajectory that the LOTR films did of increasing from one to the next, I'm sure that WB will be satisfied with a total box office take of three and half billion dollars, or more.

And while there might be some worry that the less than stellar critical acclaim (and word of mouth) that AUJ had compared to FOTR might lessen the response to DOS, I have one thing to say in response to that:

SMAUG.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I'd say that AUJ's lukewarm critical response was due to a variety of things. It's certainly not as groundbreaking as the LotR films were, and even the visual effects are nothing new besides the high framerate. It had a troubled production history. The source material isn't as good, especially since it's only the first third of the book. Some critics don't have the patience for the slow beginning (I think they're mostly wrong, though I would probably cut the Bilbo/Frodo scene). And of course there are some legitimate problems with it.

On the other, while word of mouth is mixed (my friends have the whole spectrum of different opinions on it with both readers and nonreaders), it seems to have been at least enough to give the movie a good run.

If PJ doesn't go off the rails with Dol Guldur and the new characters and it ends at a good point, DoS will probably get better critical reviews. It gets off to a quicker start, for one thing. The story is less similar to LotR and will have more things we haven't seen before, both plot points and visuals. As Voronwë said, Smaug could be spectacular and completely new. To a lesser degree, so could Beorn, and he'll be at the very beginning. A shapeshifting bear and a dragon is a pretty good way to bookend a film!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On the other, while word of mouth is mixed (my friends have the whole spectrum of different opinions on it with both readers and nonreaders), it seems to have been at least enough to give the movie a good run.
To be fair, the word of mouth was mixed on the LOTR movies as well. But it's hard to argue that FOTR was not a much better movie artistically.

As far as future box office is concerned, I wonder about the impact of people seeing the movie multiple times in different formats just for comparison. Will they do so again, or does everyone know what their favorite format is now?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

As far as future box office is concerned, I wonder about the impact of people seeing the movie multiple times in different formats just for comparison. Will they do so again, or does everyone know what their favorite format is now?
Did anyone really do this besides serious Tolkien fans (who would see it multiple times anyway) and maybe a few videophiles?
Voronwë the Faithful

Box Office Mojo confirms that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has crossed the one billion dollar threshold.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hobbit.htm

Congratulations to all involved with the film.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Box Office Mojo confirms that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has crossed the one billion dollar threshold.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hobbit.htm

Congratulations to all involved with the film.
Great milestone. Lets raise a glass to both JRRT and PJ.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:cheers: many congratulations to all involved...

And here's The Hollywood Reporter's announcement, for good measure:

Box Office Milestone: 'Hobbit' Hits $1 Billion in Global Ticket Sales
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Up higher on this page, Voronwë mentioned that Smaug will help the second film. I could not agree more. I suspect that Smaug will be one of things that people come back from viewing and say to others.... "you gotta see this".

AUJ might hit 1 billion 40 mil more or less. I would expect the second installment to surpass that if the dragon is all we expect it to be. This trilogy could build nicely just like the first one did. In the end, Middle-earth will have generated over 6 billion dollars in film income not including all the other ancillary rights.

Not too bad at all.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, now...this has just popped up on IGN:

15 Top Grossing films with their RT scores

Apart from Phantom Menace (which was re-released) and Titanic, all the movies on that list are less than 10 years old. RotK aside, right on the 10-year limit, how can we not conclude that inflation and 3D price-hikes artificially distort the figures? The popularity of Titanic was an absolute phenomenon, of course, but I do think after that, RotK is probably is the outstanding success in real terms on that list. Not only that, but you have to admit that AUJ would not have generated anywhere near the amount it has, without the 3D/HFR/IMAX add-on costs, plus the different formats on offer encouraging multiple viewings...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I would say that Avatar and The Avengers are also standouts. But really, if you think about it, how many films have been made in the past 10 years? A few thousand? Being one of the 15 of those to make it to a billion is nothing to sneeze at.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Surely there were just as many made in the 90's or before? My point is that from that list it appears more likely (easier?) for films to reach the magic $1bn these days than 10 years ago...
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Elentári wrote:how can we not conclude that inflation and 3D price-hikes artificially distort the figures?
The fact that marketing and distribution have gone global is at least as important.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Still, allowing for inflation, movies like Cleopatra and Gone with the Wind would blow away any modern movie. Of course, they didn't have to compete with home cinema and piracy. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Or the internet. Or video games.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

But did you not hear? The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey WAS a video game. Or almost exactly the same as one. Or something... ;)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's why it ended up being such a hit, dontcha know....:P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Latest Box Office Mojo update = Worldwide: $1,009,595,997 (No update for domestic BO as yet) That's roughly 8 million+ since last Sunday...

AUJ has just passed The Dark Knight on the all-time worldwide list at #14.

ETA: Now updated - worldwide total = $1,009,974,933
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Looks like this are final official totals, at least until it gets re-released in the theaters:

Domestic North America: $303,003,568 29.8%
International: $714,000,000 70.2%

Total Worldwide: $1,017,003,568

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... hobbit.htm