Hall of Fire Reviews - Post Them Here! [SPOILERS!]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

kzer_za wrote:What has the reaction of your non-Tolkien-geek friends been? Just curious. Most of mine really like it. A few say "it's good, but too long." One of them hated it, said it was like a rehash of LotR with no clear goal or trajectory.
So far I've seen the film with three non-book friends. They all loved it! :) One of them thought it surpassed LotR!

My sister's verdict was: "Better than I expected, but there's too much fighting." :D (She has read both The Hobbit and LotR, but a very long time ago.)

Everybody loves Martin. :happydance:

One of my Harry Potter friends, who likes Richard Armitage, said: "I had no idea that Dwarves could be so hot." :D
Elentári wrote:Oh, c'mon...poor Liv wasn't that bad - she didn't have much with any depth to work with, script-wise and I thought she did a credible job... Well, she looked the part, anyway! :D
Well, I love her frocks. ;) Especially the ones with the humungous sleeves in RotK. :D She did do a credible job with what she was given, sure. And her Elvish was excellent. :)

But I don't think she and Movie Aragorn have much chemistry. :help:

[I'm underwhelmed by Arwen in the book, for what it's worth. She's not a patch on her ancestor Lúthien. I do realise why ... fading of the Elves and all that jazz. Most of the Elves of the Third Age seem a sad and resigned lot to me, a dim shadow of their gloriously feisty, rebellious selves in the First Age. Also, Tolkien had to relegate Arwen's (very moving) backstory to the Appendices, and I understand that too. But the only time she ever comes alive for me as a character is when she dies: her lonely death in Lothlórien is, for me, one of the saddest things in the entire legendarium. :cry: ]
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Anyone else notice during The Adventure Begins that Bilbo can't run very fast? Must be the feet.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

You have convinced me I won't convince you, so let's move along, Gene. :D

I will likely go see the movie in glorious flat-o-vision next week, thanks to some $5 off coupons I picked up with my Target LOTR Blu-Rays. $13 each while they last, extended editions. I will report on my observations then regarding something or other. 8)

Oh wait, no glasses involved. :shock:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I split off the discussion aboutBook Éowyn and Movie Éowyn and related issues to a separate thread
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I split off the discussion aboutBook Éowyn and Movie Éowyn and related issues to a separate thread
I think you still need to move Yov's & SirDennis's posts above, as they make no sense now!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Done, thanks!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

You know, Peter Jackson can hardly be blamed for the repeated use of Eagle ex Machina. And "why didn't the eagles fly the ring into Mount Doom?" isn't his fault either (though it might be nice to work a line about eagle pride and/or fear of arrows into The Hobbit).

But did he really to introduce another Eagle Question? "Why didn't they eagles just kill Azog?" My family asked me that and all I could say was "uh, they were scared of him I guess."

I did enjoy the eagle rescue though. Even though I don't like Azog, I've come to really like the movie version of Frying Pan.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

I saw it again this afternoon. A friend wanted someone to go with and it was their treat. We saw it in IMAX 3D (not sure if it was HFR). It was in a brand new theatre, built to open with TH:AUJ. The seats were assigned and luxurious. One thing I didn't like was the image broke if I didn't hold my head straight, or if I shifted my gaze too quickly.

However, for the record I found that the CGI -- apart from the wargs and the Great Goblin which only improved slightly -- looked much more realistic than it did from the 2D version. Azog looked almost real in several of his scenes. Also I did not find the 3D intrusive or gratuitous, certainly not as much as the 10 minute Star Trek: Into Darkness sneak peek we were treated to.

The sound was also significantly improved -- and quite a bit louder -- which allowed me to notice some ambient SFX I hadn't before. The soundtrack came off quite a bit better this time around as well. I should say too that even with the improved sound, I am convinced that Ori said "... right up his Jackson."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I finally got a chance to see it in HFR. My thoughts are:
  • It is definitely better that way
  • The difference, for better or worse, did not strike me as being nearly as dramatic as many critics have indicated. It is more like the difference between a hyper-realist painting and a photograph than black and white and color or 2d and 3d.
  • Benny Hill? What are these people talking about?
  • It does seem a bit incongruent at times to have fantastical elements presented in an extra-realistic manner.
  • I'm frustrated that it was so unpopular that widespread adoption has probably been set back.
The biggest difference is in shots where there's a lot of motion. I'm not sure I even realized this before, but I've been in the habit of briefly tuning out whenever there is quick motion in films, because everything just gets lost in the blur anyway. You don't have to do that with HFR. When Thorin swings his sword at Azog, for example, you can actually follow the arc of the blade, see it go through his forearm, and see the arm going flying away. At LFR, I only realized his arm had been cut off when I saw the stump afterwards. This is just one example--I was able to pick up on a ton of visual details this time that I missed on previous viewings.

But there's still detectable blur when a fast-moving object fills a large fraction of the screen. I think they should push it up to 72.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

A Hearing Impaired Person Gets A Second Chance...Finally, WITH CC!! :D

I finally saw it again, this time in 3D with closed captioning.

It's the first time I've been able to get the CC device to work for me. Previous films were not CC, though they may have been advertised as such. I'd get to the theatre and find out the 2D version had CCs but the 3D did not. Maybe they had to work some technical bugs out?

Anyway, it impressed on me just how much I miss without the closed captions. It was like watching a whole new film, especiall the first scenes with Frodo and Bilbo, and the scene with the dwarves at Bag End. I even caught some things over the noise of the party that I doubt even people with normal hearing would have heard. One of the dwarves said "Oh, Gimli would have liked this!" :shock:

The 3 D glasses in combination with the CC viewer were a PITA. The viewer is a small screen about 8x3" on a long flexible arm that fits into your drink cup holder. With the 3D glasses, the screen is out of focus. Still readable, but out of focus. I found it very tiring on the eyes to constanly be switching from the big screen to the CC screen, and having to refocus my eyes each time.

About 2/3 of the way through the film I finally got it right. I found if I was able to position the arm as far away from my eyes as possible, everythng was in focus and it was much less fatiguing switching between screens, Alas, getting the arm in that position is difficult. It tends to fall out of the drink cup holder. I suppose it will get easier as I gain more experience with the device.

The dwarves' song still sent cold chills down my spine, and the switch from the interior of the house to the exterior, with sparks flying out of the chimney was a brilliant bit of cinematography. Side note: Parts of the film are so visually stunning that I'd like to nominate the New Zealand scenery for an academy award! :D

Still the film has its flaws. I still don't like the stone giants, and was actually glad that I didn't hear Radagast's "Rhosgobel rabbits" line the first time I saw the film. It was just so unbelievably cheezy. Okay, I laughed for a good, long minute over it...

For your enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A01_ef_mtM :roll:

The action sequences were much less blurry than in my initial viewing, when I was in the the 4th row of an IMAX theatre. Still, I think they are more blurry in 3D than it 2. And it would be interesting to experience the 48 FPS frame rate to see if it helps with the blurring.

Some of the 3D sequences still looked unnantural. This was most obvious in the outdoor scenes at Bag End, where there were flowers in the foreground, a character in the middle distance, and more flowers and the house in the background. It looked like a decoupage picture.

The indoor sequences worked a lot better for the 3D. Maybe they just need to get the lighting right for outdoor scenes.

This time round, the rain scene was glaringly obvious. Gandalf, the dwarves and Bilbo stayed completely dry, while the rain was falling all around. In one of the distance shots, you can even see the sun is obviously shining! :roll: No cinematography awards for THAT scene! :salmon:

With being able to sit farther back, and the blurring being reduced, the Goblintown sequence wasn't as annoying. The only scene that really made me wince for badness was the final tumble of Gandalf and the dwarves, as the bridge breaks away and falls into the abyss. It was groan-worthy even before the Goblin king's body landed ontop of everyone.

Other highlights: Cate, you were GORGEOUS as Galadriel! WOW! So queenly, and such a knockout in that dress!

The scene where Martin explains to the dwaves why he is doing this for them nearly wrung tears from my eyes, it was THAT good! It had an added impact for LOTR fans because it reminds them of Frodo saving the Shire for everyone else, then not being able to enjoy it himself.

I was at last able to 'hear' all the dialougue between Gollum and Bilbo, and everything in that scene was spot on. I missed a lot of this in the first viewing, due to Gollum's unnnatural, raspy voice.
Last edited by Sunsilver on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's pretty funny. :) Plus this was a cool fact I didn't know: "The sled dog is the strongest draft animal on earth. One thousand pounds of sleddogs is far more powerful than one thousand pounds of horse."
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

That's the best thing I've seen this week, Sunny! Thanks!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That was a brilliant find, Sunny! The photo of the harnessed cat just broke me.

And while I have no clue about mushing besides what I read in Jack London, it sounds like a knowledgeable person is not much fazed by sled rabbits.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

One more comment on the rabbits... I'm sure someone somewhere has mentioned this before, but I think it's entirely possible someone on the scriptwriting team has been watching far too much Monty Python! :nono:

I'm sure that in the future, the Racing Rabbits of Rhosgobel will rank right up there in geek circles with the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog!

I can also envision them as part of a D&D type game: "Let's seen I need to make a really quick exit here, before this dragon frys me...ah! I'l summon the Rhosgobel Rabbits to my rescue! :D
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Sounds like a band name.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hobbituk already called that one!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I keep hearing it in Elmer Fudd voice: Wascally Wosgobel Wabbits.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

:rofl:
Wascally Wosgobel Wabbits!!!!
:love: :love: :love:
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Voronwë the Faithful

:bow: