Hall of Fire Reviews - Post Them Here! [SPOILERS!]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Stranger Wings

Hall of Fire Reviews - Post Them Here! [SPOILERS!]

Post by Stranger Wings »

So, what did you think?

I haven't seen it yet. So for now, I'll just have to say:

:llama:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:wooper:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I can think of at least a couple of Halofirians who are watching the film right now! Hopefully they'll be able to poke in when it is done, although on the other and it will be 3 or 4 in the morning. :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

My unabridged review - warning, spoiler alert!!!
Hidden text.
I only feel asleep twice. Wampus woke me up both times. Midnight movie is clearly not for me, but still ...
I might have more to say tomorrow, but for now, it's late. I did enjoy spending the evening with Wampus, so that was good.

:)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

We had a delightful time, although I think there might have been a problem with the soundtrack -- I kept hearing these odd rumbling noises, almost like ... snoring. Perhaps it was something new Howard Shore was slipping in.

I found the movie quite enjoyable. Best of the best:

Martin Freeman's Bilbo hit all the right notes. I found his reactions and development utterly believable.

Richard Armitage as Thorin had a terrific brooding intensity. I'd follow him, oh yes.

Andy Serkis outdid himself as Gollum. Creepy, childish, furious, murderous, pitiable...

Of the non book additions, I best liked the Rivendell council scene because of the chance to see these characters we already know interact before their future fates play out.

I loved the dwarf backstories as well.

Radagast added little, though.

I think I'll wait to give a more coherent review when it isn't almost 5 a.m. -- too late even for me! And I do plan to give it another watch, perhaps in 3D HFR.

I couldn't have asked for better company tonight, though. We split a bottle of wine and toasted the Queen of the Universe.

Off to bed now.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Imin

SA if you like it, i will be shocked

Post by Imin »

For me the film was good but probably weighted down by the massive expectations i went in with. I dont think it could have really lived up to them no matter what.

The good things though - i thought it was well acted - Martin Freeman is a million times better as Bilbo than Elijah Wood was as Frodo, who i have always felt that along with perhaps merry and pippin were weak links acting wise.

RA (richard armitage) was fantastic and to be honest i think all the acting was very good, i much preferred Elrond this time round to the continuously frowning fellow from LOTR.

I think the score was ok but there were moments it felt just slapped on and it used many things from LOTR, some in terrible places - Nazgûl music for thorin standing up to azog - really annoyed me.

The prologue and azanulbizar (culmination battle in the war of the dwarves and orcs) were brilliant - lots of things happening but it was showing lots as opposed to just doing lots as i felt some of the later stunts were doing if that makes sense?

Radagast - could have been cut entirely in my opinion - dont like his look or his personality. Only part i liked was when he showed a bit of grit at Dol Guldur.

The beginning was excellent with the little references for readers of the book.

I felt Riddles was different to how its done in the book but is still done really well. Probably my favourite part of the movie along with prologue and general beginning.

Parts that dragged a bit were the journey from trolls to rivendell - the chase by the warg pack was just added for some extra action which could have been spent on character moments which would have made the film seem less rushed but also less padded and dragging things out.

The CGI was for the most good - i saw it in 3d 24fps. I dont have any real complaints there - i thought the goblins looked good - quite a few think they dont, though for some reason i am easy going on CGI.

Radagasts hedgehogs looked almost life like to me - thats some good CGI.

It didnt quite stand on its own feet as well as the lord of the rings but i dont think it ever could really and the episodic nature of the book means when translated it can feel like going from one thing to the next, which some how is a little more acceptable in book form.

Overall i think there is no real bad moment, and lots of things i liked with a few things i wouldnt mind either way if they were kept in or took out. I think it mostly comes down to my expectations were enormous for this film and i feel it fell a little short.

I am going to view it in 2d in a couple of weeks and see if i feel its better once i know more of what to expect and can enjoy the film for what it is, rather than comparing it to what i mentally expected/wanted.
Voronwë the Faithful

Glad you liked it, Wampus (despite the odd extra sounds)! Thanks to both you and tinwë for checking in so late. And thanks for sharing your review, Imin; sounds fairly encouraging overall (and welcome again!).
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Just saw it! :D

Only have time to comment briefly : I enjoyed the film :) but I HATED the 48fps. Hate it. The film looks like a BBC play from the 1970s, for pete's sake. Not bothered by the 3D. My problem is with the 'too real' look, it just ruined that wonderful filmic sense of illusion. :(.

But! :). There was lots I liked. :).

Martin Freeman, oh Martin Freeman! He is so :love: I am so smitten. He is a perfect Bilbo. Best hobbit characterisation ever. :love:

Richard Armitage! I've been a fan of his since 2004, when he smouldered gorgeously in the BBC adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South - he plays the dark, brooding, Byronic Thornton. ;). He is a magnificent Thorin. Of course. I knew he would be. :)

Ken Stott and James Nesbitt are excellent as Balin and Bofur.

Loved seeing Gandalf the Grey again. Galadriel, too. Elrond was more cheerful :D and also hot. Heh.

The film needs to be shorter and less overblown. But that's PJ for you!

I loved how the film ended, though. :). Loved the Eagles and I loved the hug! :D :)

I love 'Far over the Misty Mountains cold' song. Love it.

More later. :). But, MARTIN. :love: Martin's Bilbo. I am so in love. Why couldn't PJ have done this with Frodo's characterisation??!! :x. :(

And Thorin. Ooooh yes, mama!

Oh, and the Riddle Game sequence was superb. Couldn't have been better.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Voronwë the Faithful

Well that is encouraging, since my taste is usually similar to yours, Di. I'm hoping that I react better to the HFR, though.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I hadn't expected to dislike it so intensely, V. :(. It really took me by surprise. :(. It was less jarring in the Rivendell sequence ... which I found beautiful.

But oy, some of those closeups!

I liked the Prologue, loved the attack on Dale and that glimpse of Smaug the Magnificent.

Loved seeing Frodo again. Aww. :). If only Elijah was playing him now, in his thirties ...! Ah well.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'm seriously worried I'll hate the HFR now...the tickets I have were booked before the cinema upgraded to HFR, so I suppose I could ask for a refund and try to book elsewhere but since my family has a limited viewing window this side of Christmas, we might as well stick with it and if it's that bad I'll book myself a second viewing elsewhere at 24fps.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

What can I say, I loved it. So did Telemachos. You may as well.

Or you might hate it. Either way, its worth finding out!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm more worried that my Mom is going to hate it than that I will. After all, I will certainly be going again. I tried to warn her, but she wanted to go for it. We'll see in less than 24 hours!
Voronwë the Faithful

Hey, Di, was it an IMAX HFR showing? I wonder how much difference that makes? Al, yours was, yes? That is what I am seeing. It would be interesting to see whether people who have seen it in IMAX HFR have found the high frame rate any better than those that have seen it in non-IMAX HFR.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Mine was yes. I'm seeing it in standard 3D with the kids on Sunday, then again in HFR (but not IMAX) later in the week with a friend. I shall report my findings!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

No, it wasn't an IMAX viewing!
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, I'll hold on to that hope, although I don't know whether that really will make any difference. Well know for sure in less than 24 hours!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I just saw it in 3D IMAX non-HFR. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a 3D movie. So the 3D did not bother me at all, but I hated the glasses! The action sequences were often so fast that they were blurry. I don't know if that's normal or not. Freddy and Katie got headaches. Sarah and I are fine, just annoyed by the glasses.

I will see it again in 2D (not sure if I have the option for the HFR or not, will have to check). There were some scenes that were flat-out awesome in 3D, so I say it was worth it just for those.

(The Eagles! :love: )

Rivendell was gorgeous! I loved the ithildin scene. :love:

I already had a crush on Martin Freeman from Sherlock, so this just put me over the edge. He is brilliant as Bilbo. Brilliant!

And Richard Armitage is wonderful as Thorin, completely perfect for the part.

The Riddles in the Dark scene is great!

And the Star Trek trailer!!!!! :bow: AWESOME!!! I am so excited about that!

(More later after I process stuff. There were some things I didn't like, but I'll try to put them in spoiler tags.)
Voronwë the Faithful

Lali, I'm glad you like (at least some of) it!