It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:48 pm 

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
But equating the criticism of the high frame rates with the truth and reconciliation commission is completely out of line in my opinion (speaking completely as a poster, not as a Marshal, Shirriff or Thain) because it suggests that liking the high frame rates is fundamentally wrong (just as apartheid is fundamentally wrong), and that just isn't right. Again, in my opinion.

Yes I can see where that would be a problem, and I agree that would have been wrong of me to equate the two phenomena (edit: or any of the key players from either event to an implied counter part). However I did not say Truth and Reconciliation Commission, I said "a truth and reconciliation phase" as if to suggest that the tone of the article was less divisive, more inclined to trying to see a way through the stalemate.

How much better it is for the source to say: be prepared, this format may not agree with you; rather than to say: oh well that was raw (unfinished) footage, or the problem is with the viewer, not the technology, or oh by the way, even if it is a problem with the technology it's our call so take it or leave it.

I hope my intent is a little clearer now. For what it's worth, I don't see PJ as an evil overlord, I'm just not as enamoured of him as I once was ... also if any persons that you or I know personally actually like the new format, I hope that they will say so, regardless of what anyone else has said. I really do. I understand Al will be seeing the movie within hours. Al does not strike me as an apologist for anyone. Therefore I'm looking forward to seeing his impressions of his first time out (should he choose to share them broadly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 pm 
1000%

Thanks for clarifying. The term "truth and reconciliation" has a very particular, and very strong, connotation to me, as you can see. And I didn't see that article the same way you did, as I found the tone of the article very divisive, and one-sided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:39 pm 

Thanks for clarifying. The term "truth and reconciliation" has a very particular, and very strong, connotation to me, as you can see. And I didn't see that article the same way you did, as I found the tone of the article very divisive, and one-sided.

As it should. I see now that it was insensitive of me to borrow the phrase to make such a trivial point. Sorry about that. (Nkosi Sikeleli Africa!)

Funny, our different impressions of the article though. What caught my attention was the part where Calisuri of TORn was asked to clarify his remarks about HFR... and they were actually more scathing the second time around! (As you know this has special significance for me, Mr.Cere's article notwithstanding.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:29 pm 
1000%

An extremely gushy (too much so for my taste, even without having seen the film) from TORN staffer Arwen, with a detailed description of the plot:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/12 ... d-journey/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:01 pm 

An extremely gushy (too much so for my taste, even without having seen the film) from TORN staffer Arwen, with a detailed description of the plot:

The most useless review yet. It basically describes the plot, and says everything was great...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 pm 
bioalchemist

Shelob'sAppetite wrote:

The most useless review yet. It basically describes the plot, and says everything was great...

And sadly that's about as close as I will get to seeing the movie before it's available on Netflix...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:06 pm 
1000%

I wasn't too impressed by that review, but I thought it was far from the most useless one that I have seen.

River, :hug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 pm 
bioalchemist

Yeah, well, like I said, Netflix. Netflix is the new parents' friend. Doesn't mean I won't be jealous of everyone who gets to see The Hobbit, The Great Gatsby, Tarantino's latest, and Les Mis when they hit the theaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:20 pm 

River wrote:
Shelob'sAppetite wrote:

And sadly that's about as close as I will get to seeing the movie before it's available on Netflix...

Sorry to hear that!

Though I imagine some sort of blurry version will make its way online at some point. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:46 pm 
hooked

River wrote:
Shelob'sAppetite wrote:

I envy you, at least you have a good excuse for not seeing it ;). I'll have to explain to everyone how much of a Tolkien fanatic I am... and that doesn't really work most of the time :)

For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:52 pm 

halplm wrote:
River wrote:
Shelob'sAppetite wrote:

I envy you, at least you have a good excuse for not seeing it ;). I'll have to explain to everyone how much of a Tolkien fanatic I am... and that doesn't really work most of the time :)

I wish I had the discipline to not watch the films. It is almost guaranteed that I will find them very disappointing, both as a Tolkien fan and someone who doesn't appreciate Jackson's directorial style. But I simply cannot resist. I will probably watch them more than once, too. Just to make sure I absorbed everything.

But I do hope I enjoy this one more than the LOTR films. Against hope, I suppose...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:53 pm 
1000%

Telemachos wrote:
Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
From a friend:

"The glimpses of the Hobbit: AUJ Art and Design book we saw a few weeks ago suggested that Thror's costume had a strong "raven" motif, which I thought was great given the friendship between the dwarves of Erebor and the ravens of the region.

My question is: Does the Erebor prologue hint at this relationship between the dwarves and ravens, apart from the motif in Thror's costume?

I know, it's a silly bit of minutiae, but I would be delighted if it made its way in."

I don't recall ravens specifically in the prologue, but the birds of that area are not only mentioned but make an appearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:10 am 
of Vinyamar

Much is made of the link between Ravens and Erebor, with comments about omens and augurs that the time will be right for Erebor to be retaken when the ravens return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:26 am 

Cool, Al...and while we're waiting for your review, Quickbeam has put up on TORn's front page a review of the movie, and his reaction to seeing it...(massive spoilers in second half of article!)

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/12/10/66930-a-leisurely-jaunt-with-the-top-down-quickbeam-reviews-the-hobbit/

(as an aside, he does confirm the scene of Thorin smithying is in...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:12 pm 
1000%

I was just going to say that. SA will be pleased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm 
of Vinyamar

Incidentally, although its not specifically called out, I very much got the impression that Thorin cut his beard as part of his exile. He has a braided beard up until the attack of the Dragon and when we see him making a living as a wandering smith, the beard is cut right back to the level we see for the rest of the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:10 pm 

Alatar wrote:
Much is made of the link between Ravens and Erebor, with comments about omens and augurs that the time will be right for Erebor to be retaken when the ravens return.

This is fantastic news. Must. keep. expectations. from. rising.

One question for you, Al (on top of my other nine thousand questions).

Should I get my hopes up, or keep my expectations reasonable? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:14 pm 
of Vinyamar

Expect it to be terrible. Then anything is positive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:42 pm 
1000%

SA, I recommend that you repeatedly watch the Goblintown clip from now until you say the film to keep your expectations down.

It now looks like I'll be seeing it quite a bit sooner than I thought. My Mom has asked me to go see it with her in NY, and Beth has graciously agreed that I should not disappoint my mother. So I'll likely be seeing it in one week, rather than over two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:08 pm 

8 days still to go for me... Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next