Critical Reception of The Hobbit: AUJ [Non-Spoiler]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Critical Reception of The Hobbit: AUJ [Non-Spoiler]

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think we should start creating separate threads for things like this, as information picks up.

I'm not sure if this means anything at this point. but apparently the film currently has a 90/100 and four star rating from the Broadcast Film Critics Association.

http://www.criticschoice.com/search?s=hobbit

Here's a comparison to the current box office top ten:

http://www.criticschoice.com/top-movies/

It seems like at least some critics have already written their reviews and registered them with the BFCA, but how many, or how representative they are, I don't know.
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Reviews and Tolkien-ites, imo, don't necessarily go hand in hand.
We are all going to see the films no matter what, and we all have our own opinion of good and bad.
This is an instance where I think reviews are are superfluous or maybe a novelty.
Voronwë the Faithful

Holbytla wrote:Reviews and Tolkien-ites, imo, don't necessarily go hand in hand.
Absolutely, but some people (including me) are interested in what critics have to say. I think that it would be good to have a thread for critical response and a separate one for our reaction.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Are these reviews spoilerish?
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I agree and I think it is a curiosity to hear what "other people" think, especially after the fact, but we are judging from a different perspective that I don't often get with movies.
I pay attention to reviews when I am not familiar with the subject and when they are at one side of the spectrum or the other.

I think the reviews have their place and I welcome them, but they occupy a different place than other movie reviews do for me.
Voronwë the Faithful

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Holby and VtF do make a good point that fan reaction should be considered a separate category from general reviews.
Voronwë the Faithful

Why would you do anything other than that? :scratch: (But not in this thread :)). [Edit: I see you are responding to a post of Sir Dennis' that I had not previously noticed. Sorry about that!]

Here is the first twitter reaction from the press showing today (quite positive):

https://twitter.com/JoeCorrell
@TheHobbitMovie the movie was fantastic! Congrats to all! Amazing!
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

These were posted at TORN "from another forum". Can't vouch for their verisimilitude:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First reactions from the screening in LA today.

Joanclair Richter ‏@joanclairme

Hobbit screening - visually stunning. The beginning of it all. Peter Jackson Q & A - what a mind!

Matthew P. Spill ‏@matthewspill

Hobbit was great! 48fps is weird. Neat but not necessary. Can't wait for next December!

Jason T. Clark ‏@Jason_T_Clark

#Hobbit was fantastic!!! So happy to be back in Middle-Earth. This is a must see. 48Fps is interesting, but overall I didn't care for it.

Jason T. Clark ‏@Jason_T_Clark

Also, 3D was some of the best I've seen. Looking forward to seeing it again in IMAX 3D

Nicholas DeNitto ‏@NicksMovies

Just saw The Hobbit and was STUNNED. See this movie in 3D at 48 FPS! It looks incredible!

Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Holbytla wrote:Reviews and Tolkien-ites, imo, don't necessarily go hand in hand.
We are all going to see the films no matter what, and we all have our own opinion of good and bad.
This is an instance where I think reviews are are superfluous or maybe a novelty.
That depends. In addition to being a massive Tolkien devotee, I am also a lover of the cinematic arts. In other words, I want these films to both faithfully capture the spirit of Tolkien, and be cinematic masterpieces (a wholly unrealistic expectation, I know, but I do believe Tolkien deserves it).

In this context, there are a small pool of critics whose sensibilities I find to be very close to my own. I will be very keen to see their reactions.
Last edited by Stranger Wings on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

I split off the discussion about Fan Reaction to The Hobbitto a separate thread.
Voronwë the Faithful

@BrianDuffield

I dug the hell out of The Hobbit. It's sillier but super fun.

EASILY best blockbuster of 2012.

Couple little set pieces could've totally gone. Especially the scene that's CLEARLY del Toros.

Wanted to get to know Bilbo more at the start.

Peter Jackson has a total b**** for Thorin.

Voronwë the Faithful

Scott Squires ‏@scott_squires

#hobbit 3D 48fps works. Won't be confused with cheap video. Less stereo artifacts. Only a few shots with odd motion. (speed changes?)

Marques T. Owens ‏@mothemogul

@JonasRJakobsen It was good. Great beginning to a new trilogy. A bit goofy at times....

Antoi Antzoulides ‏@AntoiAntz

Wow. Just saw The Hobbit and I'm exhausted. They journey to middle earth has wiped me out!

Voronwë the Faithful

I'm pulling these off of posts at TORN. I have no idea whether people there are purposefully only posting positive comments.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Blaming del Toro for the set pieces one doesn't like hardly seems positive. I'm hoping that does't become de rigueur as a way of slamming elements of the film without insulting Jackson.
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, this one says just the opposite:
More non-spoilery thoughts: The best scene isn't in the books and hasn't been spoiled by the trailers yet. Feels like pure Guillermo.
Here are more of his comments:

Slater‏@Boner_Mountain

Thorin, Bombur, Fili and Kili all make strong impressions. The rest of the Dwarves are fairly interchangeable. Radagast is kind of awesome.
Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite

21mSlater‏@Boner_Mountain

More non-spoilery thoughts: The best scene isn't in the books and hasn't been spoiled by the trailers yet. Feels like pure Guillermo.

Expand

34mSlater‏@Boner_Mountain

First half is kind of a disaster. Pleasant, but shaggy and meandering. Second half is action-packed and saves the movie.

Expand

36mSlater‏@Boner_Mountain

The Hobbit's biggest sin is being simply pretty good. Entertaining but rarely enthralling.

Expand

4hSlater‏@Boner_Mountain

HOBBIT time! (please don't suck please don't suck)
His most negative comment ("First half is kind of a disaster. Pleasant, but shaggy and meandering") is the one that I (and no doubt SA! will) find most encouraging.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Well, this one says just the opposite:
Here are more of his comments:

Slater‏@Boner_Mountain

Thorin, Bombur, Fili and Kili all make strong impressions. The rest of the Dwarves are fairly interchangeable. Radagast is kind of awesome.
Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite

21mSlater‏@Boner_Mountain

Expand

34mSlater‏@Boner_Mountain

First half is kind of a disaster. Pleasant, but shaggy and meandering. Second half is action-packed and saves the movie.

Expand

36mSlater‏@Boner_Mountain

The Hobbit's biggest sin is being simply pretty good. Entertaining but rarely enthralling.

Expand

4hSlater‏@Boner_Mountain

HOBBIT time! (please don't suck please don't suck)
His most negative comment ("First half is kind of a disaster. Pleasant, but shaggy and meandering") is the one that I (and no doubt SA! will) find most encouraging.
All seems pretty positive thus far. And of course, you're right! The more meandering, the better, IMO!

Don't like the idea that Balin doesn't make much of an impression, though. My understanding was that Thorin and Balin would be the main dwarves.

I think people have no idea what they are talking about when they say a scene is "Del Toro-esque." I can see some of the designs hanging on to his influence, but the direction is pure Jackson - good or bad.
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Lest we forget, however, his name is:
Slater‏@Boner_Mountain
:llama:
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Shelob'sAppetite wrote:
That depends. In addition to being a massive Tolkien devotee, I am also a lover of the cinematic arts. In other words, I want these films to both faithfully capture the spirit of Tolkien, and be cinematic masterpieces (a wholly unrealistic expectation, I know, but I do believe Tolkien deserves it).

In this context, there are a small pool of critics whose sensibilities I find to be very close to my own. I will be very keen to see their reactions.

Hah! You like the films, or you do not. Cinematic appreaciativeness (sic) is cock and bull, and you know it.
This is no Oscar wannabe. PJ's Hobbit works, or it does not. Those who have emerged themselves in Tolkien's world have no choices.

Yes or no.
Voronwë the Faithful

Since everything so far in this thread has been non-spoilerish, let's keep this thread as a non-spoiler thread. Please don't post any spoilers in here! I'll start a new one for spoilers, since I just saw the first one.