Got your Hobbit tickets? Post here!

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work

My "perfect" Hobbit viewing would be:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 pm

HFR 3D
38%
Imax 3D
15%
Standard frame rate 3D
8%
2D
23%
No viewing at all
15%

Total votes: 13

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

No; just your standard runny nose and fever. We were going to leave him at a friend's house, but she has kids of her own, and is ambivalent about accepting a biohazard into her home.

I won't get in trouble if I go by myself, but it won't be as much fun either. Plus, going to The Hobbit alone on opening night leaves one wide open to accusations of nerddom, and we can't have that.

Plan B might be that I go with the would-be babysitter's husband tonight, and then tomorrow we trade places so the women can see it too (they don't care as much).

He still has 9 hours to get over it!
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Lalaith wrote:Did you do it, SirD? :D

The thought went through my head last night around 11:30: I'm awake enough to go see the midnight premiere!
Nope... and now, with day one of my lonely vigil behind me I should be good for the long haul. :rofl:

For the record I'm one who attends midnight and early screenings whenever I get a chance. I've even lined up for early video game releases. I don't worry about the nerd factor if I have to go alone, though going with the baby-sitter sounds kind of, er, nice. :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

As long as the babysitter is not underage. ;)
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Lalaith wrote:As long as the babysitter is not underage. ;)
Ewwwwe :salmon:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

If the babysitter was underage I don't reckon she'd have a husband for Dave to go to the movie with! :D
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I was talking to SirD. :D But, yes, the whole thing has gone wonky now. :rofl:
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Problems solved! In theater now. Want me to liveblog it? (Kidding; I'm not doing that)
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Dave_LF wrote:Problems solved! In theater now. Want me to liveblog it? (Kidding; I'm not doing that)
About this baby-sitter.... :?
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Managed to get a different one at the last minute.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Just got back from the movie theatre with hubby. We saw Skyfalll. :P We thought about making it a double feature and staying for the late showing of The Hobbit, but decided to stick with our original plan - TH in IMAX on Xmas Day.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

narya wrote:Just got back from the movie theatre with hubby. We saw Skyfalll. :P We thought about making it a double feature and staying for the late showing of The Hobbit, but decided to stick with our original plan - TH in IMAX on Xmas Day.
As much as I'm not a fan of Peter Jackson, I just can't fathom how you could be in a cinema and not watch the Hobbit. Some extraordinary discipline some folks have!
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Shelob'sAppetite wrote:
narya wrote:Just got back from the movie theatre with hubby. We saw Skyfalll. :P We thought about making it a double feature and staying for the late showing of The Hobbit, but decided to stick with our original plan - TH in IMAX on Xmas Day.
As much as I'm not a fan of Peter Jackson, I just can't fathom how you could be in a cinema and not watch the Hobbit. Some extraordinary discipline some folks have!
I'll be seeing Django Unchained before seeing The Hobbit (if ever). Already saw Skyfall (loved it). Hoping to see Breaking Dawn 2 some time next week.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Hoping to see Breaking Dawn 2 some time next week.
Don't tell us everything.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:shock: Yeah, WTH?
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

SirDennis wrote:
Shelob'sAppetite wrote:
I'll be seeing Django Unchained before seeing The Hobbit (if ever). Already saw Skyfall (loved it). Hoping to see Breaking Dawn 2 some time next week.
I saw Skyfall a few weeks ago, and also liked it quite a bit. Especially the scenes in Scotland. I am looking forward to Django Unchained, not least because the wonderful and hilarious Christoph Waltz is in it.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I liked Skyfall too. Saw it twice because my wife found out I saw it on one of my days off and pouted. :)

I would like to see Django Unchained as well...I'm curious to see if QT can juggle the old blaxploitation tropes as well as he has others of similar vintage.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This time round, I have no avid LOTR fans to see it with. (Okay, my late husband wasn't a HUGE fan, but he had read the books at least, and liked them.) However, the kennel groomer (who has also become a good friend) has agreed to go to see it with me. We will pick an off-peak time to avoid the crowds, likely a Tuesday (cheaper tickets). In exchange, I have agreed to see Life of Pi with her.

I also have another friend in Toronto who wants to see it. My plan is to see it once in 3 D, and once in 2D. I will miss about 60 to 80% of the dialogue in 3D, due to my hearing impairment. However, they now have a closed captioning system for 2D, which gives me an excuse to see it a second time. :P (As if I need one!)
Last edited by Sunsilver on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Sunsilver wrote:In exchange, I have agreed to see Life of Pi with her.
Sounds like a win-win to me!
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Lalaith wrote::shock: Yeah, WTH?
Just underlining how deliberate I'm being not seeing TH :rofl:

Ax, I won't tell you about my guilty pleasures if you don't tell me about yours ;)
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I am going to see it TOMORROW!!

A friend booked seats at an IMAX theatre in downtown Toronto. This country mouse isn't too happy about the venue (will have to take public transit, ALONE, late at night) but what the hey...this is Toronto the Good, right??

It will be 3D IMAX, without the 48 fps frame rate.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.